Is it OK to eat at a deficit for 1 year or more?

Im wondering this because I want to keep losing so I lose the belly fat. But will I stall for being on a deficit diet for so long? Should I break for periods of time and start again to kick start? or just keep eating at a def til I see the fat gone on my belly?

Replies

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Your mind will probably stall before your body does. It really depends on a number of factors (how much you have to lose, how big your deficit is, are you being realistic), but generally speaking, it's fine to be in a deficit for a while. For me personally, my sanity requires a diet break every few months.
  • GuessIgottalog
    GuessIgottalog Posts: 65 Member
    I only have 10lbs to lose. Strictly fat though!
    I am 5'9" and eating 1400cals most days. Some days (like twice a week - I will eat up to 2000cals)
    Lifting twice a week and walking most days for 30min and some sledding and skating once a week or so.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    How big a deficit are we talking here?
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,787 Member
    Sure, it's okay to eat at a (reasonable) deficit for a year or more. The amount of weight I have to lose will take me at least that long, and many people here took a year or two or three or even five to lose their weight.

You're not going to be perfect during that year, though. There will be days when you go over your deficit, or even over maintenance. That's okay. An overall deficit -- a deficit over time -- is what matters, and that kind of deficit is just fine for quite a while.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Mentally, it can be tough. I lost 125 lbs over 2.5 years and only took a day or two breaks along the way.

Physically, looking back, I kind of wish that I had taken regimented breaks.

Here is a really good article about it and how and when to take them.
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html/
  • GuessIgottalog
    How big a deficit are we talking here?

I beleive TDEE is only 1800 for me. Im an office worker. So def is 400cals
  • GuessIgottalog
    I am going to eat Christmas treats but im mentally preparing now not to go over board or set off any sort of weekly binge or something!
  • GuessIgottalog
    I have work parties (2), Christmas then New Years then son's bday party week after.....
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Sure - sounds okay to me. I've been working at this since 2014 (slowly, with bumps here and there). As long as you're not eating a HUGE deficit, it's fine.
  • katzenfluff
    katzenfluff Posts: 78 Member
    I've been at a deficit for 2 years with small breaks at vacation time, though I try not to get too crazy. I do allow myself to have a special meal occasionally - holidays, my birthday.
  • Flapjack_Mollases
    Flapjack_Mollases Posts: 218 Member
    I ate at or around 1200 cals per day for 18 months or so. I wouldn't recommend it. I dropped weight quickly, but felt tired all the time. Also, when I started eating regularly again, I gained weight really quickly (gained all 100 lbs back in 2-3 years). I would recommend trying to switch as soon as you can to a more balanced diet. As far as the fat on your belly, I should also add that even though I lost 100 lbs, I was still what is referred to as "skinny fat." I could see some definition in my arms, legs, chest that I hadn't seen before, but overall, my body shape and composition didn't feel like it had changed that much. Hope this helps.
  • zorander6
    zorander6 Posts: 2,713 Member
    The biggest factor is the amount of deficit. If it's enough to lose less than 2 pounds per week then you are fine. If you go overboard not so much.
  • Flapjack_Mollases
    zorander6 wrote: »
    The biggest factor is the amount of deficit. If it's enough to lose less than 2 pounds per week then you are fine. If you go overboard not so much.

This seems accurate. Most people I talk to now (and sites available) recommend no more than a 400-500 calorie per day deficit of your recommended calories.
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    not sure what "they" say. I have been eating at a deficit for almost 11 months, have lost 115 pounds and want to lose at least another 20 so I will be at a deficit for at least a year when i am done
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,145 Member
    I went 3.5 years at a deficit, I seem to be fine.
  • Flapjack_Mollases
    Like other have said, it depends on how big of a deficit. I ate at a 1200-1500 calorie a day deficit for over a year (with the help of ephedrine) and felt like crap. I was light headed, and weak feeling all the time. Lost weight though.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    GauchoMark wrote: »
    Mentally, it can be tough. I lost 125 lbs over 2.5 years and only took a day or two breaks along the way.

That is good information. I've struggled to lose 44 lbs. in the past 3 years with day or 2 breaks along the way. I may have to consider this as those days have become more frequent and stalled progress over the past few months. With my appetite and incredibly slow losses, a single binge day can erase weeks and even months of deficits.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    GauchoMark wrote: »

That is good information. I've struggled to lose 44 lbs. in the past 3 years with day or 2 breaks along the way. I may have to consider this as those days have become more frequent and stalled progress over the past few months. With my appetite and incredibly slow losses, a single binge day can erase weeks and even months of deficits.

Glad to help. That site is a wealth of information if that is your firs time there. I've read many of Lyle's books and they really help understand a lot of stuff and you start realizing how complex your body really is!