Anyone else suffer from major depression?

Options
I am starting MFP over again today after another long depressive episode. I've suffered from these my whole life and am working with doctors to find a long term solution. It seems that every time I have an episode I gain back all the weight I have lost, and often more. I am looking to connect with those who have the same struggle so we can support each other through the ups and downs.

Replies

• jordyngiulio
    jordyngiulio Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Welcome back! I am so sorry to hear that you have been struggling lately but happy you’ve gotten to a good enough place to be back here. The first step is often the hardest.

I have struggled with major depressive disorder since my mid-teens and it truly is a daily battle. I know that for me the depression tells me that any weightless was an insignificant achievement that I’ll never be able to get to my goal and it’s pointless to try. BUT I know it isn’t true.

Rejoining the site is an amazing first step on the right path! It isn’t ever easy, but I know you can do this. Feel free to add me as a friend!
  • michaeladkisson1
    Options
    I too struggle with anxiety and depression. I have 400lbs to lose and at 43 I'm not sure I'll ever get there.
  • michaeladkisson1
    Options
    Looking for like minded supportive friends
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Depressed about what? I have to try to understand.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    We will hold you in prayer- hope things work out
  • Tori_Ann21
    Tori_Ann21 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am basically starting over and I started back working out today how can i stay motivated to get up every morning to exercise
  • YAYA_of_2
    YAYA_of_2 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I too battle depression, anxiety, panic attacks, and just plain feeling down. It sucks when you feel like this, especially when you're trying to lose weight and bet healthy. Sometimes when I get really down I eat and I eat bad stuff. I am an emotional eater. I have got a lot better but sometimes it still happens. We are human and having people to talk to is very helpful.
  • much2muse
    much2muse Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have it. I take meds for it now, but I've gained weight from it over the years!! Food is comforting and it's hard not to binge
  • b4leaving
    b4leaving Posts: 90 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    gibsonland wrote: »
    I am starting MFP over again today after another long depressive episode. I've suffered from these my whole life and am working with doctors to find a long term solution. It seems that every time I have an episode I gain back all the weight I have lost, and often more. I am looking to connect with those who have the same struggle so we can support each other through the ups and downs.

Yes, and I am currently in the midst of a 1+ year episode.... months ago I had no desire to change and saw no hope. In August (at the 1-year mark), something clicked and I decided to take action. I joined MFP and started logging my food every day for awareness and accountability. I've been logging (imperfectly) since that day and it has started a chain reaction of new habits (including exercise, cleaner eating, drinking more water) that have improved my quality of life.

Please feel free (anyone!) to add me as a friend. I try to spend a little time at least 3 or 4 times a week encouraging others on their journey.
  • b4leaving
    b4leaving Posts: 90 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    kbmnurse wrote: »

Major Depression is a clinical disorder. There is no situation or reason necessary in order to be diagnosed. Depression sometimes just happens.
  • rocknrobin65
    rocknrobin65 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have bipolar disorder. When I'm depressed, I binge for comfort. Because sometimes that's the only time I feel alive. During the several manic episodes I've had, I exercised to the extreme - injuring myself. I'm on a decent combo of meds now, which keep me pretty stable. But i do understand the battle.
  • rocknrobin65
    rocknrobin65 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    kbmnurse wrote: »

Seriously? I hope nurse is your last name and not your job. That's not the kind of question I'd hope to hear from a medical professional.
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    I too struggle with anxiety and depression. I have 400lbs to lose and at 43 I'm not sure I'll ever get there.
    Didn't start out as heavy, but at 260 I thought I'd see 300 before 200. Today I'm 217 and I'm 50 so while your heavier, your also significantly younger so you can absolutely knock it dead.
  • Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Same thing happens to me. I lose weight, get depressed, gain it back. I'm trying to break that cycle, but some days it's harder than others.

I'm on medication and it helps with the depression...but recently it's left me tired all the time and I don't want to get off my couch. Urgh...
  • stasiaortiz95
    stasiaortiz95 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yes, I pushed everyone away and gained weight.
    Realized I was hurting everyone around me. Also realized it was insecurities... days are hard.
  • shadowloss
    shadowloss Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I would be considered clinically depressed, but this year has been one challenge or battle after the other. If Karma is real, next year should be awesome! Needless to say I find myself severely depressed and not knowing how to get out of it. I want to just curl up and wish the world away. However with all my responsibilities I have to keep going and don't have that luxury. I really envy people that are just happy. I know they too have problems, but I wonder what it would feel like to just be happy?

I digress. My point is, this happened about 2 years ago as well. It got so bad, I couldn't do anything about my job, I couldn't do anything about my business, my kids, my wife, my world around me. The one thing I could do something about was my health. This was one aspect that was 100% up to me! I decided that if I couldn't control my world I was damn sure going to control my life. I started focusing on my health and let the world go on around me. I didn't disconnect, but I really put the focus on my health. At first I started just watching my intake and lost some weight, then got the energy to start working out. It really made me feel accomplished and changed my constant mental battles. In turn my increased health had a trickle down effect. I was able to manage the world around me. Maybe not control it, but manage my little piece of my world.

This leads me to the reason I'm here again. Back to the same situation and realizing that there is only so much I can control, so it's back to focusing on me, and I'll let the rest figure itself out.

I wish you all the best and empathize with each of you that battle these feelings. It's hard, it's challenging, but if it's worth having it's worth working for. Don't ever give up on yourself and never go through it alone, there are too many people that care for you that you don't even know!