hitting my protein goals

Options
Does anyone have any suggestions for how to maximize protein intake? I recently started tracking my individually set macros and I am having the hardest time getting enough protein in the day, especially without overdoing my fat and carbs. Any suggestions would be super helpful. I was doing a lot of chicken and chicken sausage, or hard boiled egg whites but I just need more options so I don't get bored with this lifestyle change.

Replies

• Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I use a protein supplement shake as needed.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    It's hard to eat an unbalanced diet. But adequate protein is usually easy to get in through a normal diet (MFP's default reflects a normal diet). A lifestyle change is for life. If you can't see yourself eating like this for life, it's just another fad diet with a fancy name. What have you set your macros to, and why?
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Cylphin60 wrote: »
    I use a protein supplement shake as needed.

Seconded.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I should also mention that I usually have a pretty good idea of what I'm going to eat each day. I'll have a shake if eating what I want to isn't going to account for hitting my numbers.

I'd also add that the OP is eating only the egg whites, and would like to ask the reason for not eating the yolks? Best part of the egg as far as I'm concerned.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    What is your protein goal?
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,991 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I ingest about 180-200g of protein a day on an 1800-1900 cal/40% protein diet.

I start the day w/a high protein whey shake mixed w/soy milk (35g) and use protein drinks like ABB Maxx Recovery (35g) and Vitamin Shoppe Isotech 42 (42g) and Pure Protein bars (20-21g) to make up any deficits in my lunch and dinner which include "real" food which also tends to be high in protein.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any suggestions for how to maximize protein intake? I recently started tracking my individually set macros and I am having the hardest time getting enough protein in the day, especially without overdoing my fat and carbs. Any suggestions would be super helpful. I was doing a lot of chicken and chicken sausage, or hard boiled egg whites but I just need more options so I don't get bored with this lifestyle change.

Tuna, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, Quest bars and protein shakes. Broccoli, edamame and spinach are also high in protein, so choose them when possible to add in to your day. A little protein throughout the day adds up.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you. I aim for 125 g of protein on a little over 1200 calories and it is hard. The only way I hit it is to eat high protein every meal. Meat and fish, eggs, Greek yogurt, protein shakes. I also eat more beans in soups or as dinner sides. Beans are high in fiber too which can be hard to get when eating a large amount of protein. For snacks I like veggie sticks with hummus or Greek yogurt dip. Nuts and PB are good too if you have room for the fat.
  • Kendralh
    Kendralh Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I really like tuna on little slices of cucumber for a snack! It's almost entirely protein.

I can't eat just chicken for too long, I usually mix in fish and really lean ground beef to keep myself from getting bored. Also, cottage cheese is relatively high protein :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    What is your protein goal?

This.

Assuming it's not unnecessarily high, the best advise I had is just making sure you get a reasonable amount with each meal. When I do this, I tend to go over my goal without thinking about it. Also, use leaner sources if calories end up going over too often -- low fat dairy, lots of lean meats (not just chicken, pork and beef can be quite low, there's turkey, and seafood is especially helpful), legumes are all helpful. As two of the three sources you mention are low fat (chicken, egg whites), I do wonder whether your goal is just high or you aren't getting much at one or two meals.

Also, looking at the diary and adjusting portions can be helpful -- if you have too little protein and more carbs or fat than you'd like at dinner (say), increase your portion of whatever the protein source is and decrease the portion of higher carb sources (like potatoes) or added fat (like cheese) -- looking at it usually reveals the solution.
  • efemminineo
    efemminineo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the feedback and tips! My goal is 135 but I think in the past I really haven't focused on that so much so it is challenging right now. It has really opened my eyes to the flaws in my current eating habits. Also, I sometimes do eat whole eggs, but that can be a lot of fat which I don't always want. And with hard boiled I don't really like the texture of the yolk. Thanks for all the ideas though!
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Canned (or packets) of fish!! They have a TON (8-17g) of protein, lots of varieties to choose from and they are low in calories and cheap to purchase. They also have a ton of nutrients and healthy fats! My favorite are: salmon pouches/packets (they come in lots of great flavors like lemon dill and chipotle mango), smoked herring fillets, sardines in olive oil. The list goes on though. They are supper convenient as I just eat them right out of the can.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    135 may be higher than you need. (Nothing wrong with eating that much, but not hitting it wouldn't mean that you are eating in a flawed way.) The benefit of more protein tends to be satiety (but if it's a struggle to get it more might not help with that for you) and preserving muscle on a deficit. For the latter, a good rule of thumb is 1 g per lb of lean mass or, if you don't know your lean mass, .65-.85 g per lb of goal weight (or a healthy weight if you are already there). I use .8 g/lb as a easy number toward the higher end of that range.
  • ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the feedback and tips! My goal is 135 but I think in the past I really haven't focused on that so much so it is challenging right now. It has really opened my eyes to the flaws in my current eating habits. Also, I sometimes do eat whole eggs, but that can be a lot of fat which I don't always want. And with hard boiled I don't really like the texture of the yolk. Thanks for all the ideas though!

You might be making this more frustrating than it needs to be unless there's a specific scientific/medical reason to consume that much protein as a minimum each day. See the post before mine.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options

How and why did you determine 135 grams of protein? I only ask because your goal more then likely does not need to be that high.

I am 5'10' 180 lbs male and My goal is 100 - 135 grams per day...