Journey to Gastric

Options
Today was my 1st appointment towards Gastric Bypass! I got my "diet agenda and I'm suppose to cut out all carbs! And my sweet tea! Idk how I can do this! I already have a headache from no sugar

Replies

• pneschich
    pneschich Posts: 325 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Handle it one day at a time. If you fail today forgive yourself and start again tomorrow. Log your food. Exercise. Find support. Getting my sleeve on 1/23. Started last April, never thought I would get here. Never let anyone change your mind based on their perceptions only you get to do that after you know all the details. Spend,the time it takes to learn all about what you are having done, the good and the bad.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Hopefully you're also seeing a counselor/therapist for the mental aspect of doing this. Let me just say, I've worked with several GB clients and the one thing I always hear from them is that they miss being able to ENJOY food. It changes how you eat FOREVER so just be sure that this is what you REALLY REALLY want to do. You can't take back the surgery once it's done. Good luck.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • birdtobe
    birdtobe Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Three weeks ago, I cut out all carbs and added sugar. Believe me, if I can do it, YOU can do it! I was the biggest sugar fiend in the world. I started the day with a cinnamon roll and a coffee loaded with milk and sugar. I drank a coke a day and sometimes treated myself to a Frappucino in the afternoon. But I decided that I was addicted and I had to stop. The first couple of days were tough--no caffeine and no sugar meant bad headaches. But I pushed through. Now I am feeling amazing--and I've lost ten pounds! The thing that I keep remembering is that sugar is what causes your body to crank out insulin and store the calories as fat. As soon as those sugars are out of your system, you crave them again. When you eliminate sugar (both added and from carbs), you crave less because your blood sugar is stabilized. Trust me, I know I sound like every book you've ever read on diet, but I promise that if you try it and REALLY stick to it (no added sugars, no refined carbs) you will be less hungry. Good luck!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Today was my 1st appointment towards Gastric Bypass! I got my "diet agenda and I'm suppose to cut out all carbs! And my sweet tea! Idk how I can do this! I already have a headache from no sugar

Is it from no sugar, or are you also cutting out caffeine as a byproduct of reducing sugar? Have a cup of unsweetened tea/coffee to see if that helps.
  • juliemargaretkim
    juliemargaretkim Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    How is it going? I read this and meant to respond, but got away from it and am just getting back to it. I have not faced gastric bypass, nor do I have any advice re that surgery -- but my childhood was filled with sugar and carbs, and my mom and my brother have both passed away from complications with diabetes type 2. Neither of them could kick the sugar/carb habit, so I know it's tough for you. Here's the thing that I've done -- I have had to cut them out. It's hard -- but -- it's not as hard as having your toes or legs amputated (happened to Mom and my brother) and it's not as hard as dealing with a stroke and paralysis and heart disease. It's hard but it's not as hard as that. Don't focus on what you can't have -- focus on what you CAN have! I eat great big wonderful salads every night -- sometimes, lunch and night! I eat lots of eggs -- great protein and they fill you up! Treat yourself to Perrier and load it up with frozen fruit (I like blueberries) ...find how good zucchini tastes sauteed with mushrooms and garlic and lemon pepper -- and you don't need oil -- the mushrooms are loaded with water that will cook out in a nonstick pan. Throw in pepper and tomatoes and shrimp (if you like it!) -- you won't even miss the pasta! Focus on what you CAN eat and FILL UP! Enjoy a great clementine (or several!) for dessert -- eat it greedily and with your fingers and enjoy the feeling. Smash up a banana and add a teaspoon of vanilla, some ground cinnamon, and you'll be in heaven! Treat yourself to an Atkins shake every other morning. It will work. You have to enjoy it though! Life is short. Hopes this helps....
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    That just seems unhealthy. I mean... SOME carbs are necessary. Veggies are carbs. Fruit is carbs. I get cutting out refined sugar and processed or excessive carbs... but ALL carbs??
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Also I always think if the person is able to do the pre-surgery diet which is quite restrictive and lasts several months- why even get the surgery? Doesn't that prove you can stick to a diet?? Can't you just control your food and calorie intake instead of messing with your organs?
  • Samarisa
    Samarisa Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Zero carb, zero calorie flavored/spicy teas exist. Some with caffeine. I like to drink those hot. Also black coffee. Takes getting used to, but beats caffeine withdrawal headaches, assuming caffeine is allowed by your doctor.
  • eileenfunk
    eileenfunk Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat, about a month into the appointments. I have given up sugar completely, very low low carbs. A friend suggested to try crunchy snacks, I usually have almonds or pitachios..She also said it gets much better after 10 days. And she was right. You can do this. I believe you can.
  • eileenfunk
    eileenfunk Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    One more thing....My doctor said fruit is okay. Don't worry about those carbs.
  • bslic
    bslic Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you. Take one day at a time towards your goal to better health. That's really what anyone does. There will be a lot of judgement and unhelpful advice. Seek out support from those that will TRULY support you. Does your surgeon offer an in-person support group?