Do you get freaked out about eating out?

Options
Or is it just me?. Its so stressful. I'm new. 13 days strong. 60 pounds to go. Sw207. Cw201.

Replies

• PoisonDartFrog
    PoisonDartFrog Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Go somewhere that has farm to market foods (cooked in a healthy way) or check website for nutritional information before you go, so you can make a sensible decision. And I always eat lower calorie breakfast and lunch if I know I am eating dinner out (just so I am not crazy over calories)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    JinjoJoey wrote: »
    I wouldn't care so much about eating out if the nutrition information they provided was actually accurate. The problem is, they're not weighing your fries, meats, breads and toppings... So you have no idea if what you're logging is even accurate, regardless of the info they provide. That guy at Taco Bell isn't measuring the meat, cheese and sauce he throws in your burrito, so that 400 calorie burrito could be 600 calories for all you know.

It's a major annoyance for me and I usually just avoid eating out, unless I can get a salad from somewhere. It's hard to get into caloric trouble with a salad, so long as you don't have them dump dressing all over it.

That's why you should weigh your take-out. A lot of people don't and roll with it. I'm not afraid to whip out my scale and start weighing my food.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    When I started, I didn't eat out because I didn't know what to do. I went with lo-cal options which were never what I wanted to eat, so eating out became more stressful.

Best advice I have is to check nutritional info if you can (or use a chain place for Mom & Pop places). Split your meal in half and get a take-out box right away so the food's not sitting there begging you to eat it.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    No.

During the year it took me to lose 50 pounds, we ate out 3-4 times a week. Going out so often makes it less of a big deal and very easy to learn how to order to fit your calorie budget.
  • Skyblueyellow
    Skyblueyellow Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Not stressful for me, to be honest. I just look at the menu beforehand and plan out my meal. No last minute decisions. Do a little extra cardio to give yourself a buffer.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    It's stressful for me because I have celiac disease and cross contamination is a real health concern. I usually end up with a grilled chicken salad, no croutons if I am not eating somewhere that I know the staff well. I stick to the restaurants where I know the staff most of the time.
    I don't stress over portion sizes because my aunt owned a restaurant and my grandparents had a dairy farm. I've measured food for as long as I can remember. I know how much is on my plate and log it accordingly. Sometimes I take half for lunch the next day.
    You can learn to eat out and stay within your calorie allowance. Give yourself time to learn and don't beat yourself up over mistakes.
  • Flapjack_Mollases
    Flapjack_Mollases Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I just wish restaurants didn't feel like they had to salt/season/butter everything to within an inch of it's life.
  • VeganRaptor
    VeganRaptor Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Only when I was really deep into my eating disorder. I stick to healthy and tasty stuff now like sushi/donburi :)
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    No.

During the year it took me to lose 50 pounds, we ate out 3-4 times a week. Going out so often makes it less of a big deal and very easy to learn how to order to fit your calorie budget.

Yep, I eat out several times a week and had no problem losing 50lbs or maintaining the loss now for several years.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    No.
  • fidangul
    fidangul Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    No.

Yep, I eat out several times a week and had no problem losing 50lbs or maintaining the loss now for several years.

I'm the same. Only, I'm in my 7th month of maintenance but I do enjoy eating at restaurants or getting takeaways.

To OP, I would say that it's all part of the learning. Start the way you mean to go on, so incorporate takeaways into your "diet" if your plan isn't to completely stay away from it for the rest of your life.
  • Troutsy
    Troutsy Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Nope, I take a look at the menu before going out and make choices that fit my goals for the day. I've lost my first 40 pounds by eating out 2-3 times a week and had no issues losing.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,927 Member
    Options
    Do you get freaked out about eating out?

No.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I did at first, the first few weeks. Then I made a plan of attack for every restaurant we frequent so I always have a go to meal within my calorie range. I do panic a little if I don't get input on the place, but have had luck with lunch portions of spaghetti or French onion soup and side salad.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I dont get freaked out, just annoyed knowing that I will either end up eating something really bland that I could have made at home much better for less calories, or end up eating WAY too many calories getting something tasty that I know I'll kick myself for afterwards. I just dont enjoy eating out anymore... I'm such a volume eater, that if I cant eat until I'm full, I dont feel satisfied, so Im not okay with just eating half of a meal or whatever.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,562 Member
    Options
    Nope. I revel in it. So here's a great rule of thumb. Eat no more than HALF of what your order. Bring the rest home for tomorrow or share it with SO or friend.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png