Chinese food

Options
What Can I eat in a Chinese restaurant that's healthy?

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Very little. Anything, but very little.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Whatever you want that fits in your calorie goal for the day.
  • Flapjack_Mollases
    Flapjack_Mollases Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Egg Foe Young isn't bad. Basically an omelette.
  • RAxB
    RAxB Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I get shrimp and vegetables. It comes in a broth sauce with garlic and I don't feel gross after eating it!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I get chilli prawns, it's just prawns with veggies in a chilli sauce, the sauce is sweet but most of it gets left behind.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Egg drop soup. Something with lots of veggies and little sauce.
  • bkbirge
    bkbirge Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Avoid the rice and noodles, go for the grilled and steamed items, see if they'll let you order the sauce on the side, skip breakfast and lunch to bank calories.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I love Chinese food so I've been wondering too. I make some dishes at home, but there are some things I just like from the Chinese place near my home.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I generally skip the rice and/noodles (not worth the additional calories it add to the meal) and avoid fried appetizers and main dishes (egg rolls, fried dumplings, orange chicken, general tso's chicken, sweet and sour pork, etc). Pot stickers are okay, as is steak or chicken on a stick. Soups are generally a good bet. A good option for main courses are stir fried dishes that include meat and veg... You can ask for sauces on the side if you want to control cals further. Lots of sodium in Chinese takeout tho, so no matter what I order I fully expect a 3-4 lb gain on the scale the next day (water weight, obviously).
  • bobbi29
    bobbi29 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I get broccoli beef but I ask them to just steam the broccoli and sauce on the side.
  • Arapacana1
    Arapacana1 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Egg drop soup or hot and sour soup, followed by a small (1 cup) serving of beef and broccoli.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    I always go all out when I know I'm gonna eat it and I just put my dinner at like, 700 calories lol. I am gonna eat all of that crap and you better believe I'll make room for it, whether through exercise or a lighter breakfast and lunch.

My standard dinner is about 700 cal... If I'm not careful I could easily do 1200 at a Chinese place, lol.

• fidangul
    fidangul Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    My weakness is prawn crackers. So, I don't eat any at the start untill I have had my main meal. By then I should be full and with a little willpower keep it to 1 or 2 crackers. Having said that we don't have Chinese often so I pretty much eat what I fancy, log it and move on.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    tlflag1620 wrote: »
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    I always go all out when I know I'm gonna eat it and I just put my dinner at like, 700 calories lol. I am gonna eat all of that crap and you better believe I'll make room for it, whether through exercise or a lighter breakfast and lunch.

My standard dinner is about 700 cal... If I'm not careful I could easily do 1200 at a Chinese place, lol.

I can do 3000 if I'm really going for it! I only have Chinese restaurant meals rarely so that I can afford to let it all hang out.
  • laurens47
    laurens47 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Most Chinese restaurants and take-out places have a menu labeled "Diet Chef Specials" or "Diet Menu". I usually get (if I don't want the other "stuff"), steamed chicken or shrimp with steamed veggies and oyster sauce on the side.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I get plain rice and shrimp/lobster sauce with an egg roll and eat half. Also, pork strips are very healthy. Steamed Peking ravioli. These are my go to's for Chinese. Then there are always the very bland diet dishes with steamed everything which I personally would never get.
  • Loves2snack
    Loves2snack Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I love to get Panda Express because their food isn't SO bad. A good option is chicken and veggies, like green bean chicken, beef broccoli and what not. :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Get real Chinese, not Americanized Chinese food...

http://www.businessinsider.com/authentic-chinese-food-vs-american-chinese-food-2014-7

At the Chinese restaurant we go to very occasionally, many of these authentic dishes are available as well as Americanized Chinese dishes...the "real" stuff is much better IMO.