Need help from runners - Post c25k

Options
Sorry if this has been answered before...I searched but couldn't quite find what I was looking for. And I'm really a running newbie so forgive me if the questions are clueless.

I finished c25k but still need the 5 min warm-up & cooldown to actually complete the 3.1 distance. So it takes me around 39 mins. I am doing a 5k in September and want to actually be running the entire distance. I'm only able to train on a treadmill at the moment and have been running between 5.0-5.5 pace. This week I have been pushing up to 6.0 for some of it...but that has also forced me to do walk breaks so it hasn't really helped my speed. From what I have been reading, slowing down and going longer seems to be the most common way to increase my speed. I seem to be most successful when following a program so should I head into Bridge to 10k? Or should I keep pushing up my speed in intervals (6-6.5) until I can do it without walk breaks? Or simply keep my speed as is (5.0-5.5) and focus on doing the 45 min run in c25k? Or start fiddling with the incline settings? As you can see, I really have no idea what I am doing! LOL!

Thanks so much for your help!

Replies

• fredd500
    fredd500 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Not at that point yet - still doing C25K, but if you are on a treadmill you could either up your incline slightly and exercise for the same time or start on B210K and up your exercise time. Both should have the same effect, i.e. you will become fitter and should therefore find the 5K easier when you actually come to do it.

If you like the structure of the programme and can deal with the longer training times, go the 10K route - long term it should stand you in good stead for running 10K rather than only being able to run 5K.
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I have no real advice for you as far as your speed is concerned but I do want to encourage you to get outside as soon as possible because if you're anything like me it will be almost as if you're starting over. The treadmill lies! I could do 25 min runs and finish the 5K in 40 minutes on the treadmill, normally around 5mph and did some short sprints at 6 for training purposes (yeah, I'm S L O W!). When I went outside I could hardly run for 10 minutes and I've now had to stop for a few days because my shins hurt so bad.

I'm interested in the responses you get on this topic.
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Push my speed up with intervals helped me increase my time. Also, try using the incline to help strengthen your legs. This can help your speed, too. Good Luck!!
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    I think to increase your speed, intervals one-two days a week, and longer runs two - three days a week. I do a little warm up walk before I run my 5ks that way I don't have to walk any during. Your speed is really good for a beginner.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Well, the question is, what is your goal? Do you want to complete a 5K race without walking? Do you want to move up to a 10K? Do you want to cover 5K in a specific time, say 35 minutes?

First up, 39 mins is not a bad time for 5K, so no problem there.

Why not do the 5 min warm up separately, then do the 3.1 miles, then cool down? You won't feel extra tired from the warm up, and you can do the entire race distance at your target speed.

Have different goals for each session during a week. Here's a sample of what you could do if your goal is to improve your 5K time:

Session 1 (tempo): Walk 5 minutes; run 10 at 5.8; walk 5
    Session 2 (intervals): Walk 5 minutes; 5* run 1 at 6.0, walk 1; walk 5
    Session 3 (steady): Walk 5 minutes; run 3.1 miles at whatever pace you find comfortable, slow as you like; walk 5

More beginner's tips here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936

Good luck!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    After C25K and before I started a totally different 10k plan and outside running, I did my own version of an extended C25K and did two days with walk-run intervals (something like a 5 min warmup, 10 minute running, 3 minute walking, repeated 4x for a total of 4 miles running), then one day of a long distance run.

As far as speed, I averaged 6.7mph during my last 3 races, but still can't comfortably run any faster than 6mph for any length of time on the treadmill. It just feels WEIRD to run one completely consistent pace. It's natural to slow down and speed up a little as you run. So what I typically did was slowly (like every two minutes or so) go up .2 mph up to maybe 7mph, then creep back down to a slower pace.
    0112317 Posts: 17
    Options
    Sprints, HIIT (high intensity interval training e.g. 20sec at full out max, 40sec walk, catch breath, do them to failure) this will build your wind/make you faster. Think 2X a week, don't worry about distance only exertion. Make sure to warm up first. I agree with poster above -- get out on the road and see how it feels, treadmills are deceptive, especially if one is holding on to rails/grips.
  • toadiejones
    toadiejones Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the quick responses!

I have done 1 run outside...my gym had a 5k Fun Run and even though had to stop for 2 walks mid run and it was stinkin' hot, I actually finished just under 35mins which was my fastest time by far. So I apparently run faster off the treadmill as well.

As for goals, I'm not really interested in running a 10k or further. I love what running does for my fitness level but I'm not a huge fan of running. I'm a short n' sweet kinda girl. So I would just really like to be able to complete a 5k faster. Like around the 30 min mark.

I'll have to play around with it but I like the idea of doing the intervals one day, playing with tempo another, and going slow and steady another day.
  • nickfn
    nickfn Posts: 19
    Options
    If you are going for a faster 5k time I'd definitely do what others have suggested with the HIIT and tempo runs. Just don't do them in consecutive days! It will help control injuries if you put your 'easy' runs between any of your 'hard' runs (like HIIT, tempo runs, or long runs).

Even if you have no interest in going over the 5km mark, it will still help you to throw in a long run every now and again. I would start with 4 miles, the move up to 5 whenever you feel comfortable. Do it at as slow a pace as you'd like, but long runs can really help you make gains on your aerobic capacity.
  • Brookelee30
    Brookelee30 Posts: 102
    Options
    Bump for when I get to this point :0)