Fruit smoothies - good or bad?

Options
2»

Replies

• butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Just count the calories in them, like anything else. And you can't taste the spinach at all. It's a good way to sneak in some vitamins.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I love smoothies and pretty much agree with what previous posters already said -- smoothies are neutral, as are all foods. What matters is their context in your overall diet. If they fit into your goals and you enjoy them, they're good!
  • Skipper111
    Skipper111 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Measure and log it so you know it fits. As others have said, try throwing in some greens! I usually do half a banana, spinach or kale, frozen blueberries, and vanilla protein powder. Yummy :drinker:

I always log the ingredients so hopefully it's taking everything into account.

What are the protein powders? I have not heard of these before...? I need more protein in my diet too! :-)
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Skipper111 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Measure and log it so you know it fits. As others have said, try throwing in some greens! I usually do half a banana, spinach or kale, frozen blueberries, and vanilla protein powder. Yummy :drinker:

I always log the ingredients so hopefully it's taking everything into account.

What are the protein powders? I have not heard of these before...? I need more protein in my diet too! :-)

If you weigh all the fruit/ingredients that go into them and log it, you should be fine. As for protein powder, there are many out there. I personally like Bio x. Very tasty.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,844 Member
    Options
    I lost over 80 pounds and had a smoothie for breakfast just about every morning. I used different fruits, greek yoghurt (great source of protein), green stuff like spinach, leftover carrots, whatever I had. My favourite is frozen cherries, almond milk, yoghurt, stevia, and cocoa powder. Yum!!! Like everyone else said, just measure and log.

I'm having a tough time losing my last 5 pounds. I read somewhere that for some people, smoothies don't trigger your brain that you've had something to eat, because you aren't chewing. Worth a try I'm thinking, to lose these last few stubborn pounds. And for that reason i've switched to Greek youghurt and fruit for breakfast so i'm chewing instead of drinking. I honestly havent noticed any difference so i'll probably go back to my smoothies.
  • aspencompton
    aspencompton Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your goals. For example, I made one today, with fruit, chia, flax, and greens. Even with all of the other ingredients and portioning the fruit carefully, I went way over my carb goal, but that's just my specific goal (plus I don't have issues with sweet cravings, so I can ditch the smoothie).

If your smoothie helps you to avoid a candy bar, then I'd say go for it. Just watch how much fruit you're throwing in and add other stuff that is nutrient dense as well.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Skipper111 wrote: »
    This. If your smoothies fit in with your calorie goals then no need to cut them out. Also-smoothies are a great way to get in veggies that you may not normally like (kale, spinach etc). Throw some in and you won't even be able to taste it because of the fruit :)

Amazing idea. I have not had the guts to try a kale or spinach one yet but didn't think to add a little in with my fruit ones. Thank you for the tip! :-)

I add spinach and fruit together all the time. The spinach is mild enough that I don't taste it over the fruit. It's quite nice. I experiment, depending on what I have and what nutrients I need. Coconut water/V8, tap water, or tea plus spinach, flax seeds, protein powder, and whatever fruit I have available (fresh or frozen). I usually am able to have mine for less than 300 calories and it will keep me going for the first three hours of my work day (until I wake up), then I'm ready for breakfast! :laugh:
  • Skipper111
    Skipper111 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Ok, you guys all inspired me! Spinach has made its way into my smoothie today!
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I can see how spinach would be hard to taste in a fruit smoothie, but I've never been sure about kale. Doesn't it make everything taste of cabbage?
  • elka67
    elka67 Posts: 268 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I add spinach leaves , celery, carrot, beetroot and even cucumber into a smoothie with fruits. Tastes great and adds volume and vitamins without too many calories.
    You can add nuts and seeds too if you want protein.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I can see how spinach would be hard to taste in a fruit smoothie, but I've never been sure about kale. Doesn't it make everything taste of cabbage?

I find as long as there is either banana or a sweet-flavored protein powder in there, I won't taste it at all, even kale. I tried just frozen berries and greens and it tasted like dirt :(. My theory is you need the extra sweetness of the banana or powder flavoring to offset the greeniness. And I can stuff a lot of spinach into one smoothie, but with strong greens like kale I stick to about 1 cups worth. I've also used cabbage, chard, and celery leaves.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options

A banana totally neutralizes the flavor of kale/spinach it in my experience :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I taste it more than spinach, if I add the same amount, but it's not an unpleasant taste -- maybe a bit grassy or herbacious. (I usually don't add bananas, so believe those saying you don't taste it then.)