Need Flexibility help

Options
Hey guys,

I'm practicing Taekwondo after a while and I need help with my flexibility. I want to do the high kicks, like the ones that involve the legs being near 180 degrees spread apart, but I have not reached my maximum flexibility yet.

So I need suggestions of the following.
1. Exercise type
2. Exercise duration

Thank you for the help.

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Have you spoken with whomever is training you?
  • aspencompton
    aspencompton Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    What I can tell you, as a former dancer, is that the kicks you're mentioning have a lot to do with bone structure over flexibility (which sucks for someone like me whose hips are completely stiff). But there are ways to improve hip mobility to help you achieve what you're looking for!

1. After stretching leg muscles, sit in a strattle position with arms stretched straight above you. Keeping your back straight, slowly lower down and aim to have your finger tips reach the opposite end of the room, stretching as far down as you can. Keep legs straight. Hold at the bottom for 5 seconds, come back up and repeat 10x.
    2. Lay on your stomach and bring your feet close to your bum and have the bottoms of your feet touching (think frog like) rest there for 3-5 minutes.
    3. Always warm up by doing several hip mobility exercises. One I like is to find an object that is hip height or just lower and step over it with each leg sever times. This warms up the joints well.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    You may consider starting with the variations of the wall split stretch (gymnastics) technique(s). The duration is entirely up to you. Depending - you may need to do a warm-up.
  • akafful
    akafful Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Have you spoken with whomever is training you?

I haven't yet but I will.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Give it time. It takes many months (or longer) to do this and you have to start with a good foundation. Even with that not everyone can do some of the kicks (me included). Keep attending the class and trust the process.

Good luck.