Tired after exercise

Options
I feel like tired is an understatement. After I finish exercising, I am exhausted. Is that bad? I've been doing the Nike fitness app and I really like it but after I'm done with a days worth of exercising, I just want to go to sleep. I always exercise before dinner but it's getting to the point where I'm not even hungry once I'm done working out!

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Are you taking rest days?
    Are you eating enough to sustain your workouts?

I should add that I felt like that when I wasn't eating enough to actually fuel my workouts.
  • tiggerlove
    tiggerlove Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I feel like that when I don't eat enough to get my body going or when I don't get enough rest the night before.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Eh. I always feel like sleeping after a workout. I'm just one of those people. Exercise is stressful? Enervating? Crash after adrenaline? Something like that. I can fall asleep for 20 minutes right afterwards then wake up fine.

Sometimes though its because I'm not getting enough sleep to begin with.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I get that way too. So, I work out in the evenings. Problem solved.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I have a saying...

"If you ain't huffing and puffing and sweating... you ain't doing it right."

Sounds like you are on the right track.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,901 Member
    Options
    It depends what I'm doing.

If I climb 15 flights of stairs in one go, or walk 5 km, I feel all right. Just a tiny bit tired, but not overwhelming or anything.

However, if I cycle 200 km on a Saturday ... I can usually manage to shower and eat a pizza, but that's about it. And then I sleep for the next 10-12 hours. :)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    You're probably hungry because you workout before dinner when your energy levels will be at their lowest.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I experience the opposite problem ... I feel invigorated after a workout and keep that "high" for hours. It is one of the reasons why I get up in the early a.m. to exercise! Some of the others do have points made such as whether you are getting enough fuel for your workouts. If you are, then you are simply one of "those" people!
  • helocat
    helocat Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    rhtexasgal wrote: »
    I experience the opposite problem ... I feel invigorated after a workout and keep that "high" for hours. It is one of the reasons why I get up in the early a.m. to exercise! Some of the others do have points made such as whether you are getting enough fuel for your workouts. If you are, then you are simply one of "those" people!

I want to become One of "those" people. AM workouts fit my schedule the best. However I am a night person.... need to flip that.

OP: I would agree with the comments of low energy for lack of food. Maybe have a light snack 30-45 min before working out.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It depends on what I'm doing...I'm pretty beat after a 1/2 century ride or a day on the slopes...but I love that feeling and a brew just tastes and feels phenomenal afterwards.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I am normally very tired after my workout. I don't have as much of a desire to eat, but I do eat something to replenish.
  • ele8879
    ele8879 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on that because I am alway tired but I think you should check with your doctor to see how is your thyroid and Iron level.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Are you relatively new to exercising regularly?

Being fatigued after working out is not unusual and it's usually more pronounced when you're just starting out (I used to want to nap after running 5km). Over time your body develops the ability to increase glycogen stores and exhaustion gives way to a pleasant feeling of accomplishment.

Have you considered having a small snack like a banana shortly before exercising? It may help.
  • Flapjack_Mollases
    Flapjack_Mollases Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Do you just feel fatigued? Or do you also feel faint and lightheaded? If you're just fatigued, that is normal. Sit down for 3-5 minutes, drink a little water, and you should be good to go. Feeling tired is a good thing, that means you have pushed your body, and expended a lot of energy. However, if you feel faint/lightheaded, then there could be another issue.

Do you have a history of blood pressure / heart or pulmonary issues? You don't have to answer that because it's personal. But if the answer is yes, then you should talk to your doctor and see what they think.
  • Flapjack_Mollases
    Flapjack_Mollases Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    One other thing. When the body is under duress, you will not feel hungry. That is normal.
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Are you eating enough fats? Carbs get burned relatively quickly, so if your workouts are long, fats are typically your next fuel source.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    bcalvanese wrote: »
    I have a saying...

"If you ain't huffing and puffing and sweating... you ain't doing it right."

Sounds like you are on the right track.

You don't do much power lifting do you LOL
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating?
  • babypunkprincess
    babypunkprincess Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm always tired after a workout... I workout in the evening and sleep awesome. But it's also when I'm not eating enough. When I played hockey I would feel that high after a game bc I ate lots then to sustain my activities.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    idk if it's bad in itself, but it's a question of whether it fits into your life or not. i just went to the gym this week and did 50 deadlifts . . . at about 60% of my 'training' weight that doesn't seem like that much. but still i lay down in my bathrobe after taking a shower and didn't wake up until 6 am. never even moved the whole time.

so it's about what works. that's fine for me to do when i don't have life to deal with, but it did make me realise that deadlifting first thing before going to work is probably not something that i should do.