Anyone else upping cals till Xmas?

Options
I'm considering eating at maintenence or just below until Xmas is over. Is anyone else doing this? Actually mfp says my maintenence is 1820 but I'd probably only go to 1500/1600 as I wouldn't need more I don't think.

Basically I feel like over the festive season everywhere I look it's all about spiced lattes and mince pies and gorging on food. I don't want to do that...I don't even like mince pies. I just want to be able to eat a bit more at home so I don't feel I'm missing out SO much and I'm not quite as hungry.

Is this a bad idea? I currently eat between 1250-1350 roughly per day. I've lost 36lbs so far. I'm 5ft 4, female. X

Replies

• alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I switched from a 2 pound a week deficit to a 1 pound a week deficit for the time from Thanksgiving to Christmas. I don't see why it would be a bad idea if it works for you and your goals. It certainly works for mine.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Christmas isn't really a big thing in my household, so I'm just going to stuff my face with all the things at Christmas dinner and follow my regular diet for the rest of the holiday.
  • z4oslo
    z4oslo Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I dont, but that's me, and what I need is different from what you need.
    If you think you need to up your calories to get through the holiday season, then its probably a good idea for you.

Its really an answer only you can give though.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I think that is a fine idea. Nothing wrong with taking a diet break especially around the holidays (as long as your maintenance doesn't turn into an unplanned bulk!)

I always plan my bulks around the winter months, or else I am pregnant. Either way.. fooooood! :)
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with it at all. Flexibility is important for sustainably.
    Enjoy your holidays!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I'm on a maintenance break, yup.
  • jvs125
    jvs125 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I think it's a good practice and makes this season more enjoyable. I mean, you WILL eat more anyway, so might as well plan for it and not feel guilty about it.

I started my first "bulk/shred" and timed it so I'd be bulking right through the holidays and the shred starts at the beginning of January.
  • gabbyo23
    gabbyo23 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I guess I'm a tiny bit scared at the thought of putting on weight from it. But also scared of falling off the wagon.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Sometimes an increase of calories will result in an increase on the scale due to glycogen replenishment. It's normal so don't let it throw you. As long as you're at or under maintenance, you'll be fine.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Oh yes... I gotta keep the supply up. :)
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Yep, taking a maintenance break, not just because Christmas but for other reasons too. Sure is nice to more easily fit in honeycomb lattes (yesterday) and Lebkuchen (today)! Even if I have a little gain it's not big deal. I think I was about 2lbs up after last year, no biggie.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Sure am.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Yep. Set at maintenance until New Year's!
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    gabbyo23 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. I guess I'm a tiny bit scared at the thought of putting on weight from it. But also scared of falling off the wagon.

I take regular two-week "maintenance breaks" every couple of months or so - it really helps me to not get tired of the whole process, and I find it easier to refocus and get back on the weight loss train afterwards. I plan to start my next break a few days before Christmas and continue into the new year.

I was nervous the first time as well but I've found that I don't have any problems going back to restricting my calories after my breaks, and in fact it can feel like something of a relief! Each time I've done this my weight has stayed roughly the same or perhaps gone up a pound or two, but it comes off again when I go back to restricting. I'll have my calorie goal in MFP set to my maintenance level, and I might eat more than that on some days due to social occasions (or just feeling like I want to! :) ), but I'll eat a bit less on some other days to compensate for that.

The thing to remember is to try not to overdo it and go completely nuts over the holidays... but if you do (and put on weight as a result), also try not to beat yourself up over it! Just be firm with yourself about getting back on the wagon when the break is over, and you'll be fine. Enjoy the time with friends and family! :)
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    Yes! After Thanksgiving I was having trouble staying on track at a deficit. With extra goodies around and added stress, I just decided to increase to maintenance through the rest of the holidays. If I do eat a little less some days and maybe lose a little that would be a bonus. But I feel better doing this rather than setting myself up to gain.

So far, so good. I was up about 4.5 lbs after the Thanksgiving weekend, and since then I've lost some of the bloat, so I'm now only about 2 lbs up from my lowest, and holding. If I can stay here until January I'll be happy!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't generally try to cut during the holiday season...my objective is usually maintenance. My bigger issue isn't "Christmas goodies" per sei, but rather I tend to move less both in terms of exercise and general activity during the holiday season and winter in general.
    gabbyo23 wrote: »

You don't put on weight eating at maintenance...that's why it's called maintenance.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I'm keeping my calorie goal set for loss, but allowing myself to eat to maintenance (i.e. "go over") here and there. There's just so much cheese to eat and so many cocktails to drink! And there are days I come in significantly under my loss goal, so I figure it'll more or less average out.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I think this is sooooo much smarter than pretending scales don't exist until New Year's--better to just plan for a bit of an increase and enjoy the holidays than binge then starve like 99% of the world does!!
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    It's not a bad idea if it will help keep you in check. Normally I keep a deficit, but then will eat what I want during the major celebrations, which is definitely a surplus. Just works better for me because I would end up eating maintenance and then still eating whatever during those times. I would end up with a net gain and that would make me unhappy.

This year, I'm on a nine month break (pregnant), so it's a little different.