I'm hungry

fishflower13
fishflower13 Posts: 11
edited September 29 in Introduce Yourself
Good morning, all. I need help. Just finished my first week and lost 3.5 lbs. BUT I am always hungry. I am using all my willpower to not binge. Are there any foods that satisfy the hunger pains?

Thank you for any advice.

Hugs

Replies

• Angela_MA
    Angela_MA Posts: 260
    More protein or drink more water; these might help.
    However give it a few weeks and your stomach will shrink and then you will feel less hungry.
  • ncgatorfan
    ncgatorfan Posts: 517
    Packet of instant oatmeal with 1 tbsp of peanut butter. that will get you full real quick and will keep you full until 1:00. Good luck!!
  • Good job on the 3.5lbs lost!!! I usually find that if I eat things high in protein, it helps fill me up alot quicker and for a longer period of time.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Congratulations on such a good start!

I find exercising more so I can eat those exercise calories really helps stave off hunger. And yes you do lose weight just as quickly.
  • whimsy38
    whimsy38 Posts: 158 Member
    First, are you allowing yourself enough food? Do go by the calories MFP gives you. Second, are you spreading the food out in little bits. Try to eat something every 3-4 hours. Third, are you eating lots of processed food and/or simple sugars? These break down quickly and then send out signals that make you hungry again. Protein, good fats, like nuts, and high fiber food together keep you fuller longer.

:smile:
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Well, I would say, first make sure you are drinking lots of water! That will help you distinguish real hunger from thirst or boredom. I know exactly how hard it is to not binge, and the strength and willpower that takes. So HUGE CONGRATS! on your weight loss and keeping from bingeing. That is truly an awesome accomplishment!

Protein is awesome for keeping you full - snack on veggies and hummus, yogurt, cheese and crackers (many will suggest string cheese - they often have very low cal string cheese snacks... I do not like these, but if you do, those are great!), rice cakes with cottage cheese on top are one of my faves!, etc. Fruit and veggies are also great for filling you up on not too many calories. If I'm craving something sweet, I always have Dreyer's whole fruit popsicles in the freezer. So tasty!

Mostly it's just about trying to find healthier versions or substitutes for things you already like. Are you craving anything in particular?

If you would like a friend, please add me! I know how hard it is when you are not only fighting to lose weight, but fighting not to binge as well. You are doing so great - keep it up!
  • bdeezy3396
    bdeezy3396 Posts: 89 Member
    Dill pickles 0 calories and can help crave that hunger, at least for a little while. They sure work well for that snack attack!!!!!
  • DanaLynnMN
    DanaLynnMN Posts: 192 Member
    Packet of instant oatmeal with 1 tbsp of peanut butter. that will get you full real quick and will keep you full until 1:00. Good luck!!

This works for me as well!
    Something with carbs and protein together
  • Wow!!! Thank you all so much for the quick replies. Maybe I CAN do it with all this friendly support.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    I'm in the same boat.
    In the morning, I'm all about the coffee. If I drink any in the afternoon, I won't be able to sleep at night.

At about 3:30 in the afternoon, I have to eat something. I've been preparing a blender bottle every morning with protein powder. I mix it with water and it tastes fine. I've been going over on the protein count every day but under on the calorie count. If I'm going to overdo anything in any category, I think Protein would be the one to overdo. I also chew gum and drink lots of water. I also keep a bag of clementines at my desk. I'm trying so hard to avoid potato chips.

This week I've lost 3.5 pounds this week so far and this is my first week.
  • ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    I see nobody mentioned FIBER yet. Fiber (like protein) helps keep your blood sugar levels stable. Instead of simple carbs (think sweets - breads - crackers - pastas) eat complex carbs (fruits - veggies - WHOLE grains). Simple carbs will have your blood sugar spike, giving you a burst of energy, but it drops quickly, leaving you with the hunger pangs and often you'll reach for something for a "quick spike" again. Go for something slow-burning. Protein. Fiber. Complex carbs for energy. It lasts so much longer.

As PPs said, eat more often too. Reaching for GOOD SNACKS is half the battle. Instead of a twinkie, grab a handful of almonds. Instead of chips, try a potato (microwaved for 4-5 minutes or til soft) with a dollop of low-fat cheese and some steamed broccoli. Instead of a pudding cup, try an apple with some peanut butter. Yogurt for ice cream. & etc

Hunger is annoying when you're trying to lose, I know :) Sometimes our bodies are just thirsty and we think we're getting munchy. A glass of 1/2 water, 1/2 juice can stave off the pangs til snack time or meal time.

make good choices & keep at it! it pays off!!
This discussion has been closed.