Why am I losing weight, let alone so rapidly?

Options
Alyyy233
Alyyy233 Posts: 9 Member
edited December 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm 5'7 and month ago, I was 132-134. Since I was a healthy weight, my original goal was to get more defined and toned and to look more built or strong. The past few weeks have been very stressful because of finals, studying, and a close relative who is dying. I coped badly with this by switching from my regular paleo-like diet of salads, fiber, proteins, and healthy fats, to 3 weeks of high carb, high sugar foods like ice cream, cereal, plain pasta, fried chips, white rice, and so on. Fastforward to today and I've already lost around 10 pounds and am 123. I'm very confused. My weight was stable until I started binging on desserts and high carb meals/snacks then my weight has been shooting down ever since. Ironically, the past 3 weeks I've actually been eating more calories than I was before. The only difference is the calories are coming from sugars/sweets and high carbs. So how is my weight consistently dropping. The weight loss has literally been linear (no fluctuating). And do I still have a chance of getting toned or muscle? I know I haven't been eating well. It was the stress :(

Replies

• Alyyy233
    Alyyy233 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    This might be a redundant question because you do mention calories, but are you counting/logging them? During stressful times, it's common not to eat. Although it may be junk food, it's still possible that you are consuming less than you burn.

Some stressed days I do and some stressed days I don't. An example of one of my days was 3 clif bars, 4 oatmeal cookies, 1/2 pint of ice cream with chocolate chips, white rice with veggies and sauce, granola bar, popcorn. I eventually started weighing every other day. But a pattern I'm noticing (for me) is the higher my sugar/carbs = the more weight loss. ???
  • coleg04
    coleg04 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I have heard everyone reacts differently to stress. I would see a doctor if I were you.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Alyyy233 wrote: »
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    This might be a redundant question because you do mention calories, but are you counting/logging them? During stressful times, it's common not to eat. Although it may be junk food, it's still possible that you are consuming less than you burn.

Some stressed days I do and some stressed days I don't. An example of one of my days was 3 clif bars, 4 oatmeal cookies, 1/2 pint of ice cream with chocolate chips, white rice with veggies and sauce, granola bar, popcorn. I eventually started weighing every other day. But a pattern I'm noticing (for me) is the higher my sugar/carbs = the more weight loss. ???

Those still aren't calorie counts. Although you are aware of what you are eating, I would still bank on eating less than you think you are. When I have anxiety attacks, there are times I feel like I'm eating a horrendous amount. When I go back, I find that I wasn't eating close to what I thought. Even though you're stressed, I would start counting calories every day and try fitting more nutritious food while adding some more calories. That way, you have a basis of data on the off-hand it turns into a possible medical issue like diabetes if the weight does not stop dropping after upping the calories.

But to answer your original question, to tone up typically means to add more visible muscle. It will not happen when you're in a huge deficit like you are to drop that amount of weight.

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I lose more weight when I am stressed. I tend to move much more and eat less at those times. At the time it doesn't feel like I am doing those things.
    Start tracking your food better.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Because you're eating too little

And your stress levels are increasing your basic activity levels

Try meditation or finding a calm place ..it will help with all aspects

Use food preparation and consumption as downtime and log properly
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    It is just as possible to eat less than you think, as it is too eat more than you think, if you are not logging.

If you are worried about the weight loss, though, see a doctor.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Sounds like stress has caused the weigh tloss, it all likelihood you probably haven't been eating as much as you think. If you keep losing at a high rate it might be best to see a doctor for a check up.
  • goodasgoldilox165
    goodasgoldilox165 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    See a doctor - to be on the safe side. Unexplained weight loss is always worth checking out. It might be wise to check your blood sugar. If you can't absorb the sugar you are eating (and it stays in your blood) - you won't be putting on weight when you eat the stuff - but you will be in danger of some serious complications.
  • peggy53lee
    peggy53lee Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I agree with goodasgold go to the doctor unusual weight loss could be diabetes.
  • KrisJ125
    KrisJ125 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    High stress levels increase your production of cortisol and adrenaline. Adrenaline increases your heart rate and elevates your blood pressure. In other words, your metabolic rate is upped and you burn more calories. Cortisol, the primary stress hormone, increases sugars (glucose) in the bloodstream, enhances your brain's use of glucose and increases the availability of substances that repair tissues. All those carbs yu are eating are providing the quick energy that the hormones are stimulating your body to make available. The excess of carbs are most likely not being stored as they would be in a non-stressed state. As some prior posters have said--if your overall calories are actually lower than before, then this hormone induced extra burn would be a possible source of your loss.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Your brain is already 40% of your energy use during normal times. That can go up during stressful times.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Log carefully. Not sure I'd panic and call the doctor yet, but try and see what you are eating as far as calories go compared to what you would normally burn. It's been 3 weeks and I doubt a major health crisis came on that quick. If it keeps up for another month, and you seem to be eating enough calories, then I'd go. What you are going through can cause things to go a bit wonky without it being a crisis. But it won't last if it is just the stress.