weight gain after gastric bi-pass

Options
Hi. My name is Carolyn. I'm looking for a weight loss pal. Preferably someone who has had a gastric bypass and has gained part of the weight back.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,599 Member
    Options
    Didn't have it, but have worked with lots of clients who have. The biggest issue for weight regain is because of reversion to previous habitual eating patterns. GB doesn't address habitual eating issues. It just denies the body (sometimes only temporarily) the ability to allow over eating. However the stomach can re expand again and of course allow more food to be ingested.
    Like any diet, if you're in control of your calories, you control weight gain/loss/maintenance.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Flapjack_Mollases
    Flapjack_Mollases Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Didn't have it, but have worked with lots of clients who have. The biggest issue for weight regain is because of reversion to previous habitual eating patterns. GB doesn't address habitual eating issues. It just denies the body (sometimes only temporarily) the ability to allow over eating. However the stomach can re expand again and of course allow more food to be ingested.
    Like any diet, if you're in control of your calories, you control weight gain/loss/maintenance.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

This. This is also why I wish they wouldn't be so eager to offer GB surgery as a first resort (in some cases) of a way of losing weight. If the person has a medical condition that is keeping them from losing, then GB can be helpful because it limits the amount of food, and therefore, keeps the condition in check. However, if we are talking about a healthy person, who is fat because they just refuse to put down the fork, GB surgery very rarely does it's job. Dr's should be more responsible to their patients. I also understand that if a Dr has a client that basically pushes the issue until the Dr has no choice, that can't be helped.

Sorry, but I've seen some of my friends end up in your situation (or worse) because they thought GB was the answer. My advice to you (even as someone who "qualifies" for GB surgery) is work on breaking bad habits. That will take you further than any surgery ever could.
  • CarolynHickman
    CarolynHickman Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    How do I found an accountability partner?
  • Flapjack_Mollases
    Flapjack_Mollases Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    A lot of times (thanks to shows like biggest loser and others) people think you have to go to extremes to lose weight. This is not the way to do it. I was basically on the GB diet (1200 cals per day) for 18 months. I didn't have the surgery, but I had pills to help curb my appetite. After 18 months of this, you know what I did? I went right back to eating just like I had before. I never really addressed the problem. Now, after hitting 185, I'm back to 340. I finally understand that a well balanced diet that cuts your daily recommended calories by 500 cals per day is the way to go. For you, it's going to be hard now, because you are limited in the foods you can consume. I would only recommend eating nutrient dense foods, and get as much out of the calories that you have available.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,599 Member
    Options
    How do I found an accountability partner?
    Coming up soon there will be "Adopt a NOOB" which is a yearly thread to get a mentor (for free).

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• jonjaxmom
    jonjaxmom Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you, Carolyn! keeping on with your battle and never stop trying. 2017 is going to be our year!!!
  • CaptainJoy
    CaptainJoy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I didn't have weight loss surgery but many have. I suggest joining one of the groups. I'm sure you could find a weight loss pal there. Here's one that I saw but the members don't seem too active. You could try finding someone there or search for other groups. Just type in the search box under groups either gastric bypass or weight loss surgery.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/6340-gastric-bypass-regain
  • jrdockham
    jrdockham Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm a little late, but are you there Carolyn? I've had the surgery 240 down to 130 and maintaining.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    jrdockham wrote: »
    I'm a little late, but are you there Carolyn? I've had the surgery 240 down to 130 and maintaining.

@CarolynHickman
    Tagged OP for you. :smile:
  • gewel321
    gewel321 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I had WLS 5 years ago. I started at 400lbs and made it down to 198. I never made it to my goal weight but I was a whole person down. Over the last 5 years I have slowly crept back up. I decided in October (exactly 5 years post WLS) that I wanted to get down to goal. I had crept up to 250lbs. By monitering what I am eating and exercising more (both of which I was not doing) I have lost 25lbs. I have 50 lbs left until I am at my goal weight! I would love to have someone to talk to through the journey back. If interested feel free to friend me and send me a message!