Bloating

Options
Aside from too much salt and pms, what would cause bloating? I've had a great week and it seemed to come to a halt yesterday as I started to feel bloaty and my clothes felt tighter. It's a little discouraging when I know that I have been paying attention to what I eat and have kept a regular schedule with my exercise routine. Any thoughts?

(I have not injured myself, I'm not PMS and don't believe it is my sodium intake)

I'm wondering if my muscle growth is a factor. ??? :grumble:

Replies

• ravenrosedem
    Options
    Aside from too much salt and pms, what would cause bloating? I've had a great week and it seemed to come to a halt yesterday as I started to feel bloaty and my clothes felt tighter. It's a little discouraging when I know that I have been paying attention to what I eat and have kept a regular schedule with my exercise routine. Any thoughts?

(I have not injured myself, I'm not PMS and don't believe it is my sodium intake)

I'm wondering if my muscle growth is a factor. ??? :grumble:
  • I have learned recently (the hard way) that some of the diet foods are extremely high in sodium. Even though the food may be low in calories and fat, the sodium may still be high. Keep track of your intake for a day or two just to make sure it's not that. You should be getting less than 2300 mg a day according to the 2005 dietary guidelines. Hope that helps.
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Too much water???
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    I have also found that an marked increase in fiber consumption will temporarily cause bloating. This usually goes away pretty quickly - 1 or 2 days or so - in my experience and then your system is o.k. unless you go back to a much lower intake of fiber . . . just something else to think about!
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    MontanaGirl is right.
    Also too much protien without enough fiber can cause it.
    Also, have you eated Chicken recently?
    The reason that I ask is that before they freeze the chicken, AND SOME PORKS they baptise it in a salt bath. When one is watching what they eat. the extra salt that is in you meats NOT LISTED ON THE INFORMATION ON THE PAKAGE MIND YOU! can cause you to swell up.
    If you are thinking this is the case...And a good rule for others is, Before you even THINK about cooking up that Chicken breast that you got from the store. Soak it in lemon water for about 1/2 an hour to an hours 1st. This will get the salt that was in the bird out without effecting the taste.
    Water is a flush the system thing so chances are unless you are chugging a gallon of water all at once you would not be bloating from water, and I BET you would KNOW if you where chugging water.
    In the mean time add lemon to your water and see if that does not help get you back to normal!
    --Diann...
  • jbuehrer
    jbuehrer Posts: 285
    Options
    MontanaGirl is right.
    Also too much protien without enough fiber can cause it.
    Also, have you eated Chicken recently?
    The reason that I ask is that before they freeze the chicken, AND SOME PORKS they baptise it in a salt bath. When one is watching what they eat. the extra salt that is in you meats NOT LISTED ON THE INFORMATION ON THE PAKAGE MIND YOU! can cause you to swell up.
    If you are thinking this is the case...And a good rule for others is, Before you even THINK about cooking up that Chicken breast that you got from the store. Soak it in lemon water for about 1/2 an hour to an hours 1st. This will get the salt that was in the bird out without effecting the taste.
    Water is a flush the system thing so chances are unless you are chugging a gallon of water all at once you would not be bloating from water, and I BET you would KNOW if you where chugging water.
    In the mean time add lemon to your water and see if that does not help get you back to normal!
    --Diann...

I'm glad you posted this.. I looked it up.. it's so true
  • flachix
    flachix Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    is that what the package means when it says 'may contain up to 10 percent solution?!" I try never to buy those. I go to a meat market just up the street. I think they have just regular chicken breasts, but I will begin asking that question. thanks. BTW how did you learn the trick with the lemon juice and how does it work?