Horizon - Why Are Thin People Not Fat? BBC2

Options
hello all

anybody got the see tonight horizon's show about why do thin people don't get fat ?
(its a television show in the uk)

they basicly fed twice the normal calories to a group of people that dont normaly watch what they eat, and never gain weight... not surprisingly they all did, after eating so much calories but not all that much and after, they lost all that excess weight in a couple weeks without even trying.

they explain why those people are not prone to gaining in the first place,, heres a couple theories

a virus,,,, some scientist figured that some chicken were dying from a virus, and that virus made them fat, they then tested fat people to see in the had the antibodies that fights that virus... and a high number did,, the ones that did were even bigger then the ones that didnt

our genes,,, just like our height,, our bodies are happy at a certain weight, and no mater what you do, it will always try to bring you there, they took obese people, starved them until they lost 10% of their body fat and then started to feed them maintain amount of calories, they then scan those people's brain and figured that the brain was in a constant state of starvation, even though they body was receving enough calories... so those people would have to live on a state of constant hunger in order to maintain a weight loss

behavior, they took a class of young kids, and fed them a normal lunch, then asked the kids to point at a picture to show how full they felt and they all said they felt very full... then they gave them chocolate biscuits, and let the kids decide if they wanted to eat them or not, some of them did eat them all, some other kids pushed the plate away. they say that kind of behaviors could be decided as early as in the womb.

they also had all kinds of other theories, talking about metabolic rate, and how their bodies can be protecting them from gaining too much fat by increasing the metabolic rate, some people in the study said they couldnt physicaly eat more and if they did would be sick, that would be other way the body unknowngly protects themselves against getting fat. ect....

in they end they said that once your body creates more fat cells to store the fat and then lose weight, your fat cells will deflate but they never go away. therefor making it easier for your body to store fat again. so its vey dficult for a person to mainting a big weight loss.

anyways .. long story short, it was a very intersting show and wish you guys could have either seen it or have a transcript to read rather then me putting it into my own words.lol..

for those you are in the uk and would like to see the show you can see it for free on the bbc2 website..

Replies

• may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    hello all

anybody got the see tonight horizon's show about why do thin people don't get fat ?
    (its a television show in the uk)

they basicly fed twice the normal calories to a group of people that dont normaly watch what they eat, and never gain weight... not surprisingly they all did, after eating so much calories but not all that much and after, they lost all that excess weight in a couple weeks without even trying.

they explain why those people are not prone to gaining in the first place,, heres a couple theories

a virus,,,, some scientist figured that some chicken were dying from a virus, and that virus made them fat, they then tested fat people to see in the had the antibodies that fights that virus... and a high number did,, the ones that did were even bigger then the ones that didnt

our genes,,, just like our height,, our bodies are happy at a certain weight, and no mater what you do, it will always try to bring you there, they took obese people, starved them until they lost 10% of their body fat and then started to feed them maintain amount of calories, they then scan those people's brain and figured that the brain was in a constant state of starvation, even though they body was receving enough calories... so those people would have to live on a state of constant hunger in order to maintain a weight loss

behavior, they took a class of young kids, and fed them a normal lunch, then asked the kids to point at a picture to show how full they felt and they all said they felt very full... then they gave them chocolate biscuits, and let the kids decide if they wanted to eat them or not, some of them did eat them all, some other kids pushed the plate away. they say that kind of behaviors could be decided as early as in the womb.

they also had all kinds of other theories, talking about metabolic rate, and how their bodies can be protecting them from gaining too much fat by increasing the metabolic rate, some people in the study said they couldnt physicaly eat more and if they did would be sick, that would be other way the body unknowngly protects themselves against getting fat. ect....

in they end they said that once your body creates more fat cells to store the fat and then lose weight, your fat cells will deflate but they never go away. therefor making it easier for your body to store fat again. so its vey dficult for a person to mainting a big weight loss.

anyways .. long story short, it was a very intersting show and wish you guys could have either seen it or have a transcript to read rather then me putting it into my own words.lol..

for those you are in the uk and would like to see the show you can see it for free on the bbc2 website..
  • lenmana
    lenmana Posts: 171
    Options
    That's very interesting! I'm not sure now if I should be depressed or hopeful though :) LOL
  • rsalgado
    rsalgado Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Very informative, but ya...I'm not sure how to feel. Am I going to be starving for the rest of my life? lol
  • get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I read a very interesting book last fall that looked at some similar experiments. It was called "Rethinking Thin". I can't recall the author, but I'm sure you could order it online. It looked at the premise that some of us are just wired to be heavier, and some of us may have either a hormonal imbalance, etc. We can still be thin, but we will have to be more vigilant and pay more attention to calories since our bodies don't have the automatic "shut off" that others have. :indifferent: Bummer.
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    I have dish network and we have BBC but not BBC2 :(
  • may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    yeah .. i know how you guys feel about being depressed,,, i felt the same

however i always knew that i would have to be carefull with my weight for the rest of my life, i wish i had one of them special body where you can eat what ever i want and not gain an ounce...

but remember that those thin people are not necesserly healthy

i just think that the science behind losing weight is very interesting.. !!!!!!!!!!!