Fat Brain

Options
You know the little voice in your head that says 'you're a failure' or 'you're in everyone's way at the gym' or 'you're too fat to climb that hill'? I call that my "fat brain". It says all the little nasty lies that keep you from succeeding. I started my journey 3 months ago and have lost 30 pounds using MFP. I have been doing great until this week and BAM....fat brain. All of the sudden I can no longer see how my body has changed. To me, I look in the mirror and still see how I used to be (even though all of my clothes are WAY too big for me now). I don't want to pack my lunch anymore, I just want to grab something quick and not think about it. I'm even back to thinking that I shouldn't take the stairs because I will be out of breath and that hasn't happened in 2 months! Luckily, I have developed such a habit of weighing, measuring and logging everything (including cough drops) that I haven't sabotaged myself yet. Does anyone else experience this? How do you get past it?

Replies

• humantic
    humantic Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem sometimes. I don't see any changes in how I look after 30lbs too, but at least I do feel different. I get encouragement from people I haven't seen in a while complimenting me how I've lost weight. Also my family notices I've lost by what I'm wearing and how it used to fit me. Just this week I was looking at old pictures and that was more than enough to keep pushing myself. Food wise I've been able to keep to my diet better only because having gallstones forces me to skip fried and fatty foods and go for the fruits and veggies. I'm sure it will always been a struggle but it's the habits we build that will keep us from our former weights...I hope :smile:
  • jparker3363
    jparker3363 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks @humantic I'm glad I'm not the only one. I'm hoping that tomorrow I will snap out of it.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Progress pics help you see the change better than looking in t h e mirror.
  • catgerm
    catgerm Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Progress pics help so much!

I've been pretty good about weighing and taking a pic in mfp daily. I find myself looking at my progress often.

Never too late to start! U r doing great!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I was thinking the same thing! Time for progress photos!!!
  • tinamarie6624
    tinamarie6624 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I've lost a 150 Lbs and although I know how much I've lost, know there is a huge difference in my body. I still am over 225 Lbs and so I still see myself as hugely fat. I can't listen to that part of me and whenever I say it out loud, my family protests. I can't let that stall my motivation as I know how much improvement I have made during the year. I think I have my head on straight but I will be glad when I start looking better.