Weight training

Options
Hey. Till now i was just doing 30mins cardio and 15 mins core workout
Thinking of starting weight training. What are some must haves? Any suggestions? I found a spring ab excerciser on amazon. Any reviews?

Replies

• jvs125
    jvs125 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    You can do wonders with just a few dumbells and a bench.
    I do a DVD program called Body Beast, really good to learn the basics
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Do you work out from home or in a gym?

IMHO the most important things about strength exercises are that:
    • you execute moves with good form
    • you plan for progression (continually improving)

For working out at home, look into Mark Laurn's You Are Your Own Gym or Convict Condiioning (can't remember author) books. Online videos - Al Kavadro is your guy.

In the gym - pick a starter strength routine and get soem help with how to execute moves correctly (see http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you for lots of ideas)
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    All that's needed for weight training: barbell, plates, squat rack, bench. Everything else is just fluff or convenience stuff, imo.

Well, guidance certainly never hurts. If you can, pick up Starting Strength and give it a couple of reads. Even if you don't use the program, the information provided on all of the multijoint lifts is second to none.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Direct ab work is the biggest waste of time! You'd be better off doing some bodyweight circuits if you have no access to a gym or equipment.
  • Pogila
    Pogila Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Barbells, weights, kettle bell and a bench should do it. I started 6 months ago & I have shed tons plus i have toned up well. Follow a simple program or make your own.
  • jesse1952
    jesse1952 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Stay away from the spring ab device. They don't do much good. Join a gym or local YMCA, if available, that have a good variety of machines, weights and cardio.