Anyone from india??? I would love to talk to em cause only indians will know indian diet problems

Options
The diet tips and the food recipes that we found on the Internet are usually based on these Broccoli and some stuff that we usually don't get and even if we try to get then there too much costly so I would like to meet some Indians if they are here so i can get some help about how to do the diet thing in a proper manner cause usually it doesn't Matches with the actual and sometime we go under diet and sometime over diet

Replies

• pippiheartsberry
    pippiheartsberry Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hey there,

Im Indian but I live overseas. I tend to eat Indian food a few times a week and of course, have eaten Indian food growing up. My meals are very simple and not very authentic as authentic Indian food would be too calorie dense for everyday meals.

It is hard maintaining your calories eating Indian food and you'd need to really watch what you eat. Sticking to simple dal, chawal and roti with some vegetables everyday would work best with a few treat meals a week. Also avoid rice and roti at night and stick to eating a lot of vegetables. And needless to say, Indian eat our waaaay too much back in India, so that'll need to be brought down to once or twice a week only.

Happy for you to add me on if you need any motivation or guidance.

• Cbestinme
    Cbestinme Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    not Indian here but love Indian food. Like replies above suggest the details are the key.

A teaspoon of the ghee one can find at Trader Joe's is about 45 calories or so. So if you start to measure or weigh or count calories (by logging your food) you'll start to lose weight. The trick is really counting the calories.

I see a suggestion about "one scoop of rice"....in my view "one scoop, especially of rice" is too vague.
    I found out that one serving of rice - is a one half cup (American cup) measure, for about 200 calories.

I don't know how many calories in dosa (did I say that right) - but I did find the mfp database has calories for injera (I find to be very similar to dosa)?

You can find practically any food you think of already in the mfp database.
    If it's not in the database, create your own recipe (and mfp counts for you).

One trick is just to get started and get comfortable with measuring / weighing ALL the food you eat and logging ALL the food you eat.

Once you have the habit of measuring /weighing and logging, you can start to get very detailed about the calorie count of each food item.

For example for all the foods you are eating you can create your own recipe.
    For your dal, or any other stew, you can make a batch (weigh / measure) each ingredient, then figure out how many "servings" you expect.
    You can go back and change your recipe if you notice any differences as you go along.

I have been doing this and I notice it is helpful.
    (For example if I make 3 pancakes with one batch instead of 4, or 8 paratha instead of 7 etc etc)

• PeachesNcreamgal
    PeachesNcreamgal Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I know right? Indian food is so carb dense you'll have to cut out rotis and rice and live on raw vegetables and fruits just to lose some weight but that is of course not recommendable. I limit my rice intake(I used to be a big rice eater) now I Cant stand rice, only have it once in a fortnight and whole wheat bread is my another kryptonite but I have cut that down to two slices only. I could eat 8-9 slices a day lol. I lost a bit of weight when I limited my rice and bread consumption.
  • Pogila
    Pogila Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm Indian and have lived overseas for long, but recently moved back to India, what I eat is eggs and sandwiches or Upma ( less oil and more veggies) in the morning , afternoon 2 roti, dal or curry ( not a tikka or malai) , veggies for dinner. If you can balance the oil and avoid the ghee it should do wonders. Btw- I lift weights 4 times a week & cardio 3 times.
    Good luck!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I'm not Indian, but may I direct you to a post that I have personally used with success, some pretty nice stuff there.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10354056/indian-vegetarian-recipes

Don't worry too much about carbs. All you need to do is add your foods to the food diary and make sure you are within your calories. Make sure you add everything, including oil you use to fry. If you want to make any of your usual recipes lighter you could do one or more of these things: use less oil/fat during preparation, add more vegetables than you usually do so that your portions are the same but lower in calories, use less of a food you don't mind using less of (like rice in my case), or simply eat less of it while supplementing with extra vegetables if you are still hungry (you can make any vegetables into a salad, a broth based soup or simply roast them in the oven or stir fry them with very little fat).
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    It's not the carbs - it's the calories - Indian food is heavy on the ghee but doesn't have to be

it's about taking control of the cooking and finding alternative ways to cook or portioning properly and moving adequately
  • Cbestinme
    Options
    See what I cooked yesterday:

5 eggs
    Half tomato
    Diced onions
    balducci house brand olive oil spray (claimed to be used by organic food chefs)
    Karakuzhambhu powder
    Panneer bits

Full protein blast!

Sounds cool, was this a scramble? Where do you get panera bits?
  • Cbestinme
    Options
    Smart phone is being too smart, paneer-bits