Thanksgiving weight change not going away

Options
I had been doing really well maintaining up until thanksgiving day. I weighed 123 give or take a pound, then after thanksgiving I was up 127.8. I figured it was just waterweight from the festive type food. I didn't even really splurge all that much. I still logged and was hanging right around maintenance calories at the end of the day. (I'm usually in a 250 cal deficit) May have been 200-300 over due to errors in logging that day. Anyways ever since that day I dropped my calories down to 1650 a day to compensate and have been drinking a lot of water and watching my macros (40/40/20 most days). My weight is still hanging around 126-127, been weighing every morning same conditions. What's going on? Could it be water weight still? Even if my food logging is off a little bit i don't see how it could be that far off, I use a scale and log every extra bite I take. My Fitbit says I burn 2700 most days, and 2300 on a slow day(rest days from weights 2 days a week) I'm female, 5'5..
Any suggestions?

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Where are you in your cycle? If you were about to ovulate or get your period immediately following Thanksgiving, that could play a role in the water weight sticking around longer.

It's taken me a week to get water weight off before. I assume you'll see a budge soon.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Have you been eating a lot of salt lately? Or start a new work out? Or ons/ovulation?

You're talking about approximately 3 pounds which is EASILY explained by water weight.

Good luck!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options
    Takes me a week after eating Chinese food to return to normal. More if this coincides with ovulation or pre-menstruation.
  • ehaleyhoward2778
    ehaleyhoward2778 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. Makes sense with ovulation then. Guess I didn't think of that. Glad to hear that a week is normal.
  • ehaleyhoward2778
    Options
    But out of curiousity, would this still be true if I'm on BC, since that's supposed to prevent ovulation all together?
  • kejw08
    kejw08 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily too. Today is the first day I got on the scale and was at my pre-thanksgiving weight, so yes it water weight/bloat can hang around that long.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    But out of curiousity, would this still be true if I'm on BC, since that's supposed to prevent ovulation all together?

I get weight gain on BC (the Pill).
  • ehaleyhoward2778
    Options
    Thanks everyone. This helps
  • ehaleyhoward2778
    Options
    Ok so the past 5 days I've been eating no more than 2000 calories. Yesterday I had 1750. Logging every bite, weighing everything. Ive been more precise in logging the past few days then ever in the last 4 months I've lost weight. I'm still hovering around my post thanksgiving weight. 126-127. My Fitbit is telling me I'm burning 24-2600 calories a day. If I'm eating less than 200 why is it not going back down by now? I'm drinking a minimum of 100oz of water a day and my sodium intake is staying below 2200mg
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Totally normal if your period is due soon (guessing it is). You'll probably lose it all the week after. I ONLY lost weight the week after my period when I was losing... then nothing for 3 weeks.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Anything else going on? Bowel movements normal? Anything new to diet? Any drastic life/schedule/sleep changes?
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    I had been doing really well maintaining up until thanksgiving day. I weighed 123 give or take a pound, then after thanksgiving I was up 127.8. I figured it was just waterweight from the festive type food. I didn't even really splurge all that much. I still logged and was hanging right around maintenance calories at the end of the day. (I'm usually in a 250 cal deficit) May have been 200-300 over due to errors in logging that day. Anyways ever since that day I dropped my calories down to 1650 a day to compensate and have been drinking a lot of water and watching my macros (40/40/20 most days). My weight is still hanging around 126-127, been weighing every morning same conditions. What's going on? Could it be water weight still? Even if my food logging is off a little bit i don't see how it could be that far off, I use a scale and log every extra bite I take. My Fitbit says I burn 2700 most days, and 2300 on a slow day(rest days from weights 2 days a week) I'm female, 5'5..
    Any suggestions?

Go for a hard run, bike ride, or brisk walk that lasts a good 2+ hours on both days this weekend. That will shake things up enough to get things flowing and right the ship.
  • ehaleyhoward2778
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Anything else going on? Bowel movements normal? Anything new to diet? Any drastic life/schedule/sleep changes?

Not really any of the above, I've had dessert most nights lately but still been within my deficit. It's also been a lot colder out in the last week but I'm still getting my workouts in. With this weather I've been working less this week but my work is flying an airplane for most of the day so if anything I'm more active.
  • ehaleyhoward2778
    Options
    Any suggestions?

Go for a hard run, bike ride, or brisk walk that lasts a good 2+ hours on both days this weekend. That will shake things up enough to get things flowing and right the ship.

Sounds like good advice. I'll probably try this, but curious if there is a theory behind doing this?