Not new, but struggling

Options
I've been using myfitnesspal for over a year, but I am struggling. Seriously. As a divorced parent to six kids, its hard to stay motivated when you don't feel like you have a support system. I've lost about 15 lbs over the last year, but I need to lose another 75.
I start out great every morning. Then stress kicks in (I'm a teacher and have gone back to school to get my master's degree). And I fall off the wagon.
I used to be a runner (I went down to 125 lbs after baby #5), but I can't do it now because of the weight. I walk and ride a bike. I try to swim a couple of days a week to prepare for a triathlon in April in Napa (should be very scenic!). But if the weight doesn't drop, I will not be able to do it, and my 16-year-old son wants to do it with me. I don't want to let him down.
Think of this more as venting rather than. . .well, anything else. Just putting that out there....

Replies

• Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    I don't have any advice, but just wanted you to know someone is listening. :) We all struggle now and again, but don't give up! Trying over and over and messing up is still better than throwing in the towel, or at least that's my belief. I hope things get easier for you.

All the best!
  • ezaminabunnie
    ezaminabunnie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You just need to try your best to stay strong getting more healthy. It took me years to battle anorexia AND after that became teachnically obesity. It was hard to get to actually eat healthy again, but I was strong enough to keep trying no matter how hard it was for me to keep trying my best. I hope I at least helped a little. :)
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I've no advice either. I just take my hat off to you. I was on my own with two teenagers and they pulled me in each and every direction. I did manage some evening classes. I find the cold and wet of winter does not help with anything it even fights weight loss for me. Please try to keep going even if you have a less good diary day. I hope you can get out into the open green spaces for your walks, just to be away from buildings, that helped me. My son with 5 at home, 4 yr to 16 yrs, finds the boys respond better if they get a good run.

Please hang on in there, you are doing a great job, but I know it may not feel like it.
  • CFLSports
    CFLSports Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey, don't worry about not being able to do it. Worst case, you walk the run part. I see people doing it all the time and they simply run across the finish line. The truth is that you won't ever do it if you give up. Back in 2011 a friend challenged me to a weight loss competition. We tied the competition, so then he challenged me to a triathlon. The first day of training was the swim. I had to swim a quarter of a mile and then leave the water and run to a tree that was about 50 yards away. When I got out of the water, I couldn't stand up. I too was too heavy to run very far at the time. A year later, I finished an Ironman. I never gave up, and built on little victories such as being able to run the 50 yards the second time I trained on the swim. Good Luck!
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I am sorry you are struggling. As a parent of five kids I know how crazy life can get. You are asking a lot of yourself right now...something is bound to give. I will say a prayer for you!
  • 13cyprus
    13cyprus Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Good luck we are all here to support you x
  • mlewon
    mlewon Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Stay strong and vent whenever you need to. Not sure if you already implement it, but there are lots of great videos on youtube for quick 10-20min workouts (pilates, yoga, ab work, you name it!) that might help you to do something on the days when you feel like you hardly have the time. Ten minutes of movement is better than nothing :) Good luck <3
  • ajwcyclist2016
    ajwcyclist2016 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    At times you just have to grin and bear it. You know when you're on the bike and you're doing a tough climb and the top is far too far away to even think about you don't think of the top say the next few corner 50m anything to keep you going. Then the next thing you known with all the micro goals you've reached the main goal of the top and when you do the view takes all that pain away in the legs and you're feel glad to be a live and for the split second nothing else matters. That's how you will feel. It's all very well thinking of what you used to be able to do at the moment you have to think of what is realistic to know and how you can improve on them etc. Your goal could simply be to complete it and as long as you do that then your have won your own battle no other results matter only your own goal. Best of luck and and honestly only worry about the hear and now and what you can control the rest will take care of itself like the event and things you can't control no point in worring about them