Dinner Dilemma-Single Serving

Options
Starting tomorrow, I will be a bachelorette for a week. Last time Bob was away, I ate pizza rolls every night for dinner. That is not going to happen this time!!
I don't like cooking for only one person, mainly becasue I can't just cook one serving, it is more like 4-6 servings even for just Bob and myself. I don't like leftovers at all, althought there are a select few things I will eat leftover like my white chicken chili and chicken tikka masala, but those are both too labor-intensive to make just for me.
What are some dinner ideas for a single person? I could buy a rotisserie chicken and take the meat off, I have plenty of romaine for salads, but I am stuck for dinner ideas.

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Gosh it's not that hard to measure out one portion of pasta, surely?

I had that last night - cooked the pasta, then stirred into it one tin of tuna and a couple of tablespons from a jar of tomato and herb pasta sauce.

Other solo meals - grill or microwave a piece of fish - salmon or tialpia, splashed with a little lemon juice or white wine. Serve with a side of green beans (cooked from frozen, so just cook enough for one), or a baked potato (great cooked in the microwave).
  • MummyOfSeven
    MummyOfSeven Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    How about some really simple pasta sauces, eg. arrabiatta or carbonara? You only need to make as much pasta as you want and the sauces will 'keep' in the fridge for a few days once made.

9308159.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • randa_behnam
    randa_behnam Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Omlettes!!!
  • kaitlyn819
    kaitlyn819 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    when i am alone i am a lean cuisine with a salad girl. I enjoy there food and even if i want seconds there is none!! lol
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    What is wrong with leftovers?
  • AnnaValek
    AnnaValek Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Don't focus on pasta. Pasta is filled with carbohydrates which are good for you, but bad in large wuantities for your weight loss. Focus on protein. Chicken, fish, and beef. Buy a full steak. Cut it into card-deck sized portions, and freeze it until you're ready to cook with it.

I do simple stir fry all the time, a few slices of steak, a quarter bell pepper and a wedge of diced onion go into the pan on medium heat with about a tablespoon of olive oil. I season with salt, pepper, and paprika, and then spoon everything onto a corn tortilla shell with lettuce, tomato, and sour cream.
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    you usually make 4-6 servings for 2 people? why? :s
  • cedarhurst2006
    cedarhurst2006 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Huge fan of Quesadillas. Buy healthiest tortillas, use your cut up rottisierre chicken, grilled veggies, some lo fat cheese. Yum!!
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    Talapia loins (8ozs pan seared) - not breaded ...
    or
    Grill a lean steak, or chicken, or pork chop on the grill
    or
    Chicken, pork, or turkey black bean salsa (cook in one pan)
    or
    Chicken, beef, turkey kabobs on the grill (veggies already on kabobs)
    with
    Steamed veggie (whatever you like)
    Can of some type of bean (black, pinto, navy, black eyed, etc...)
    and maybe a:Glass of a nice Merlot ☺

☺☺☺

Large salad with grilled chicken/Turkey/tuna/etc... sliced up in it

Cheese(s), salami(s), olive, apple, nuts platter with some nice flatbread crackers/crisps (don't forget the wine ☺)

What's wrong with your crockpot stuff if you can eat on it all week? (no more cooking there right ☺)

You can google "healthy cooking for one" you should find tons of help/recipes to make it through the week.
  • curvygirl512
    curvygirl512 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I like stir fry. There's so many veggies coming right out of the garden now. Also, egg white omelets loaded with veggies and cheese, topped with salsa. And there's always fish in our house to bake, grill or steam. Bachelorette could be fun for a week, b/c you get to experiment and you're the only judge. Have fun!
  • tararocks
    tararocks Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    What about grilling boneless skinless chicken breasts early in the week and then using them for a variety? One night eat it grilled with some veggies, the next night you can use flat out wraps, chicken, cheese, and some spinach to make a thin crust pizza for one, you can mix up some chicken salad using light ingredients, chicken salads with lots of fresh veggies, chicken mixed into a single serve of pasta, and the list goes on.
  • giaciccone
    giaciccone Posts: 257
    Options
    Gosh it's not that hard to measure out one portion of pasta, surely?

I had that last night - cooked the pasta, then stirred into it one tin of tuna and a couple of tablespons from a jar of tomato and herb pasta sauce.

Other solo meals - grill or microwave a piece of fish - salmon or tialpia, splashed with a little lemon juice or white wine. Serve with a side of green beans (cooked from frozen, so just cook enough for one), or a baked potato (great cooked in the microwave).
    Pasta + Tuna! I thought I was the only person who did that! It's so delicious.
    I live alone (best decision ever. I hate roommates) and I do ok when I make individual servings. A lot of websites that have recipes will usually help you measure out how much you need for one serving only, which is helpful.

Things that I use that I can easily measure out enough for one person: Instant Brown Rice (not in the steaming bags), pre-cut chicken cutlets (They come in super handy when cooking for one), asparagus, potatoes, pasta.

The only things that are difficult for me to use before they go bad are things like: steaks, any kind of bread, cheese, milk, etc...
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    ^^Makes me think of tuna cassarole... NO CAN DO!!!
  • kariannk
    kariannk Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    subway buy a foot long and split it for two meals