Adele or Amy Winehouse?

Options
zamphir66
zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
Was having this debate with someone the other day and it's stuck in my head.

For me, it's Amy, and it's not close. Don't get me wrong -- I *like* Adele, but that's part of the problem. She's so completely inoffensive that everyone likes her, from babies to old people. Her songs feel really generic -- in the sense of being general rather than specific and personal, I mean.

Amy's work, on the other hand, is often difficult. She was tortured and that really comes through in so many of her lyrics. There's a rawness and a realness there that just can't be contained. It's a shame she never came out of the dark place she was in.

I'm pretty firmly of the opinion that people will be listening to Amy decades from now, while Adele might just be an interesting footnote by virtue of the phenomenon she has created.

Listening to Amy right now, btw. Great way to start a dark, cold and now snowy Friday.

Replies

• JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    I personally love Amy....I feel horrible for the traumatic life she led, for the disastrous choices she made, and for her obvious hell she was living in.....

Adele just seems depressed. In all her songs.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    I think Adele is way funnier then Amy.
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    Adele is good, but I feel like she's more pop/soul. Amy was definitely 100% soul.
  • suzilla53
    suzilla53 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Amy for sure!
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    Totally Amy! Adele's music makes my ears bleed.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Amy Winehouse ... Adele's songs could be played in a Hallmark movie. Amy's songs are real, raw & rough and not froufrou or generic. Adele's glasses over pain. Not my thing.

ETA: The only Adele song I can honestly say I like:

https://youtu.be/dCLS_ztGOBk
  • MrStabbems
    MrStabbems Posts: 3,110 Member
    Options
    Im not a fan of either but I don't like the stuff Winehouse did, I don't care if it somehow made her songs more "raw" or "real". If she cleaned up her act and then went on to make some good music I would have changed my mind but as far as I know, she just kept on going down that rabbit hole.
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Neither!!!!
  • LittleLionHeart1
    LittleLionHeart1 Posts: 3,655 Member
    Options
    I love them both very much. Its hard for me to compare the two because they seem pretty different to me. I like your comparison of the two. :)
  • Karb_Kween
    Karb_Kween Posts: 2,681 Member
    Options
    Does Adele even write her own songs? I imagine she has a team of producers that prep her work for radio moreso than Amy Winehouse probably had
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Neither but if my life was at stake and I had to choose... Amy.
  • BigDougie1211
    BigDougie1211 Posts: 3,530 Member
    Options
    Winehouse, no question. Genius.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,503 Member
    Options
    Amy, despite all of her personal failings

... what a voice
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Seems like apples and oranges...

I think they're both kind of depressing in their own right though...I pick neither...Adele is easier on the eyes though and she at least seems happy and funny in interviews I've seen her in...I'm not really into the whole sad, tortured life thing.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I think they're both kind of depressing in their own right though...I pick neither...Adele is easier on the eyes though.

So glad to see someone else say Adele is depressing. Whenever I say it people freak out and I am treated like the black sheep! Ugh. I can't even listen to her for 30 seconds.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I think they're both kind of depressing in their own right though...I pick neither...Adele is easier on the eyes though.

So glad to see someone else say Adele is depressing. Whenever I say it people freak out and I am treated like the black sheep! Ugh. I can't even listen to her for 30 seconds.

I like music to be fun and make me smile and dance...
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Neither.. this is not the type of music I listen to.

I think all artists have their own trials and tribulations rather played out in the public or not also ALL artists have their own unique craft and some use their pain as their muse and some do not. Comparing the two is a mute point to me.
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    thisonetimeatthegym Posts: 1,977 Member
    Options
    Adele's voice is more powerful, clear. Amy's is grittier. Both are jaw dropping, amazing talents.

My biggest problem with Amy was her team. How did they continue to make songs and go on tour making money off of her when they could clearly see she needed help?

Maybe they did, hence the rehab song.

All the criticism of Adele - she's too mainstream, too PG, are actually strengths, to me. She's figured out the rubix cube of having fame without the self-inflicted damage we see in other stars. Kudos to her.

For Amy, rest in peace.
  • fanceegirl75
    fanceegirl75 Posts: 620 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    OMG OMG OMG...I cannot put either above the other. Loveee them both. Different styles IMO. Saw Adele here in LA in August. Fell even more in love with her and her music.