Being honest.. what approach should I take?

Options

Replies

• Lorilynn_37
    Lorilynn_37 Posts: 87 Member
    Options

SideSteel wrote: »
    I'd be curious what you protein intake is at in grams, on average?

I'm always right at the given or slightly below..
    There have been a few days I was no where close and my husband would have me try his protein shakes..
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    My diary is closed due to more embarrassment of my bread and pasta addiction but I stay in range. Maybe 2 days a week going over by at most 100 cals
    Thank you all in advance!

I want to touch on this - if you're hitting your calorie goal while eating bread and pasta, there's nothing embarrassing about it. You're making this process work for you - you're losing weight while eating foods you love, and that's going to be what sustains you for the long term. Be frikkin' proud of that. Show it off.

That said, those are calorie-dense items, and if you're not weighing them, you might be taking in more than you think you are. I second the post about accuracy. If you're really in a plateau, tightening up your logging is a good first step. (ETA: this thread moved fast, I was typing the part about weighing while you were replying that you use a food scale, so you're probably good here :))

Concerning exercise, it would be great if you can incorporate it. It's hard enough without depression if you enjoy sedentary activities more than active ones, but depression on top of that can make going for a walk seem like the worst thing in the world some days. Find something that brightens your day a bit - if you like music, fitness dance videos might be fun. Try yoga on days you need more tranquility. Go for walks with your family or friends - that way you're spending quality time with people that happens to be moving without really "exercising." Some days you will have to try harder or force yourself, but don't start out by doing things you dislike because it's what you think you're supposed to do. The best kind of exercise to do is the kind you enjoy.
  • Lorilynn_37
    Options
    svel713 wrote: »
    Can you get a step tracker? You may be less likely to sit and be sedentary if you have a low step count staring at you from an app. I know seeing that low number keeps me moving more during my days off.

Thanks a great idea! The husband and kids keep asking what I want for Christmas that might be it!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    ...I always have good intentions and then fail.

You keep telling yourself this, and it will become reality. Negativity breeds more negativity. You need a new mantra. <3

Make a list of positive things about yourself (everybody has some - and if you can't think of any, what would others say about you?) and things in your life you are grateful for. Re-read it every day and keep adding to it. Over time your mind will start focusing more on the positive. Won't cure a chemical imbalance induced depression on its own, but it helps take the edge off and can retrain your thought processes over time so you aren't so stuck.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I'd stop being sedentary. Exercise would likely help break your plateau and ease symptoms of depression. And it's very very rare to stay healthy as you age without exercise.

With depression it's hard to sometimes "want " to exercise. Should I force myself out of the house and to a gym? Maybe once I'm there I will do better. I'm so very aware of my depression being a huge problem and prob causing this. Ugh it sucks! I always have good intentions and then fail.

If a gym is your thing then I'd say yes, force yourself to do it as often as you can. Or exercise at home. Any added activity is good. It doesn't have to be "exercise". Take a walk, find an active hobby you enjoy. Even one day a week can make a difference. Exercise is so important for physical and mental well being. Force yourself to do it as often as you can. Even if it's just for a few minutes at a time.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I suggest that you cut back on your bread and pasta. This will be a great way to make sure you keep your calories under control. I'm not saying eliminate, but try to eliminate one serving per day, or make your portion sizes smaller. I found I get a lot of excess calories through carbs and cutting back from what I used to eat has helped alot. I still have 50% carbs so I'm not anti-carb or anything like that. I also second walking outside, or use Leslie Sansone walk at home videos. It will probably help with the depression too.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Ok so I hit my lowest weight of 174 six weeks ago. I'm 5'2 37 years old and started at 192.
    So I've lost 18 pounds since June so a long 6 months in.
    I'm sedentary a stay at home wife. I've come to realize I'm lazy! I have kids but their 19&15 so I can't say I get excersice by chasing my kids lol.
    I've definitely hit a plateau it's been over 6 weeks.
    My calories a day 1320.
    I do well staying in my calorie range each day.
    I lost the first few pounds pretty rapidly because I cut out sodas back in June. Wow it sure made a difference 3 sodas a day = insane amount of calories.
    I do know I spend a lot of my calories a day on bread products.
    Knowing what little I've told..
    what approach and changes would you start making?!
    Ask me any questions at all.
    Would I see a difference if I forced myself to burn some calories? ( I know your saying duh) but it's part of my depression I tend to be lazy and watch tv a lot.
    Please be nice! I'm looking for ideas not criticism..
    I have a lot of flaws!! I take a lot of meds for depression and see a therapist. I fall into deep depressions sometimes. Making weight loss a lot harder sometimes..
    My diary is closed due to more embarrassment of my bread and pasta addiction but I stay in range. Maybe 2 days a week going over by at most 100 cals
    Thank you all in advance!

Way to go on your loss already! I haven't read any of the replies yet so im sorry if I repeat someone suggested.

Biggest change you could make right now is go buy a food scale. Weigh everything except pure liquids. You will be surprised that a serving size suggestion something does not equal the weight serving size. Also get into the habit of truthfully logging every day (even days where you mess up).

You don't have to cutout bread and pasta, but do make sure you are recording them properly.
    You can do this!
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Thank you all!! You give great advice.
    I do use a electric food scale and I'm pretty consistent on my logging.

I do need to get moving it would help with the lose and the depression. I'm going to check on some dvds or YouTube things. Thanks for that advice..
    Someone mentions thyroid issues, I've had it checked twice. But my mom had to have it checked so many times before they detected a problem because the numbers finally dipped once.
    I will make sure to mention this at my next appt.

Funny but not to funny story..
    I have a 2 yr old lil min pin dog. Who sleeps with me watches tv with me and even has to go into the bathroom with me..
    If I leave her she freaks so I always say she's suffers from the same thing I do..
    She's over weight because she eats and we sit on the couch watching our favorite shows together..
    I think we should start coming out of the dark house and go on walks together! We could both use the exercise.. I may have to drag her but we will do this !!

You could even walk your living room while you watch shows to get started without pushing you and puppy too far too fast. I walk my house while I fold laundry and watch the Walking Dead (until a kid wakes up) at night :)
  • LBgetsfit
    LBgetsfit Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Set a timer every half hour to remind you to walk around at least 5 mins. Even if it's just up and down the stairs a bunch of times or in circles around the room. The point is just to make yourself move more during the day. Does your phone track your steps?
    My work has me on the road a significant part of the day so I don't really have much time for working out (I have a young family and want to be able to hang out with them when I get home). I have dropped almost 30 lbs with just calorie tracking and hitting my goal for steps. (I work out 1-2 times a week only on average this time a year if I take out my daily walk).
  • jaedwa1
    jaedwa1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Funny but not to funny story..
    I have a 2 yr old lil min pin dog. Who sleeps with me watches tv with me and even has to go into the bathroom with me..
    If I leave her she freaks so I always say she's suffers from the same thing I do..
    She's over weight because she eats and we sit on the couch watching our favorite shows together..
    I think we should start coming out of the dark house and go on walks together! We could both use the exercise.. I may have to drag her but we will do this !!

My dog was a huge motivator for me. For many days, I would dread having to go outside, but as soon as I grabbed the leash, the sheer joy my dog displayed motivated me. We walked twice a day, usually around the block, so about 15-20 minutes. But sometimes his enthusiasm pushed me and our walks lengthened to 45 minutes without me even noticing. So I definitely encourage you to take your dog outside. Being with you and getting to smell all the smells will be a joy for her and hopefully motivate you and help you move towards a more active life.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    There's really nothing wrong with bread and pasta, as long as you're meeting your calorie goals! I will say, though, that for ME, cutting back on carbs and focusing on protein reduced my cravings dramatically.
    As far as exercise, it's not really necessary for weight loss, but I can't help but think it would help you feel better. I know from experience that it can take some intense mental gymnastics to get yourself off the couch when you're depressed, but you will always be glad you did.
  • valeriasuarez9523
    valeriasuarez9523 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Ok so I hit my lowest weight of 174 six weeks ago. I'm 5'2 37 years old and started at 192.
    I'm sedentary. I spend a lot of my calories a day on bread products.
    what approach and changes would you start making?..

Congratulations on your weight loss so far! I am a recovering bread/pasta/rice/sweets addict. I know the struggle is real... So I have a few suggestions that have worked for me.

1- 1320 calories might be to little. When your body thinks it is in starvation mode it starts holding on. You might want to increase a little bit... I consume 1,600.00 per day and I have been losing about 3-4 pounds per month.

2- Increase your consumption of look lettuce, spinach, zucchini / squash and other green veggies. They are very filling. Also, drink one tall glass of water 20-30 minutes before every meal. It makes a HUGE difference!

3- Reduce your consumption of bread (I didn't say stop).. I know this is hard but it is the only way that you will see the scale go down. You quit sodas cold Turkey, now is time to start eating less bread... Eventually you will be able to just have JUST one slice, fill the need/craving without overdoing it.

4- You can watch tv and walk/march in place... If you watch a movie, that could add two hours of cardio workout to your routine.

You can do this @lori__lynn !!!
  • ShammersPink
    ShammersPink Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    If you find it hard to convince yourself to take a walk for your own benefit, do it for your dog! Being overweight is no better for her than for you.
  • lanky007
    lanky007 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Walking is a simple and inexpensive way to get active. Even in the cold...bundle up and get out there......a little more every week....before you know it you will look forward to it. You can walk in the mall...you can walk in the neighborhood....you can walk in the park......if you don't have some sort of device to count steps...pick up one up. The can be very motivating! the only person you need to challenge is yourself....a little more a little at a time. You can do it!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I'm sedentary. I spend a lot of my calories a day on bread products.
    what approach and changes would you start making?..

Congratulations on your weight loss so far! I am a recovering bread/pasta/rice/sweets addict. I know the struggle is real... So I have a few suggestions that have worked for me.

1- 1320 calories might be to little. When your body thinks it is in starvation mode it starts holding on. You might want to increase a little bit... I consume 1,600.00 per day and I have been losing about 3-4 pounds per month.

2- Increase your consumption of look lettuce, spinach, zucchini / squash and other green veggies. They are very filling. Also, drink one tall glass of water 20-30 minutes before every meal. It makes a HUGE difference!

3- Reduce your consumption of bread (I didn't say stop).. I know this is hard but it is the only way that you will see the scale go down. You quit sodas cold Turkey, now is time to start eating less bread... Eventually you will be able to just have JUST one slice, fill the need/craving without overdoing it.

4- You can watch tv and walk/march in place... If you watch a movie, that could add two hours of cardio workout to your routine.

You can do this @lori__lynn !!!

Other than #4, all of that sounds wrong to me. Leafy greens are filling?? They are delicious and nutritious, but filling? Not to me. Not at all.

Bread didn't stop my scale from going down (oh how my husband would love to insert a joke here)

1320 calories is probably not too little for someone only 5'2" tall and sedentary.
  • lindagrimm904
    lindagrimm904 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to be the one to tell you, you should exercise more. Because I get highly depressed at times, also!
    I'm not proud of it. I'm sedentary with my exercises at times. Some days the most exercise I get is walking down
    to the mailbox, go to the refrigerator & get a bottle of water 8 X a day, fix meals 3 X a day, & snacks 3 X a day.
    On those days I might get 500 steps. I take 8 pills a day for depression. I hope this is a good day for you. I hope
    you have a Fantastic & Blessed Friday! Linda!
  • Lorilynn_37
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    ...I always have good intentions and then fail.

You keep telling yourself this, and it will become reality. Negativity breeds more negativity. You need a new mantra. <3

Make a list of positive things about yourself (everybody has some - and if you can't think of any, what would others say about you?) and things in your life you are grateful for. Re-read it every day and keep adding to it. Over time your mind will start focusing more on the positive. Won't cure a chemical imbalance induced depression on its own, but it helps take the edge off and can retrain your thought processes over time so you aren't so stuck.

Thank you! Great advice
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    I'd be curious what you protein intake is at in grams, on average?

I'm always right at the given or slightly below..
    There have been a few days I was no where close and my husband would have me try his protein shakes..

Hi again =)

I'm still curious what your protein intake is at, in grams.