Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

There’s a device that drains food out of your stomach — and the FDA approved it

Options
13»

Replies

• sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Disturbing.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Also for @Gallowmere1984
    The point I think @NorthCascades was making is that any weight loss tool can be abused if not managed properly.

Yes, this exactly. We can't judge a tool only on its potential for abuse without also considering its potential to help people when used properly. Remember, this isn't for people who want to lose 5 vanity pounds, this is for morbidly obese people.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Also for @Gallowmere1984
    The point I think @NorthCascades was making is that any weight loss tool can be abused if not managed properly.

Yes, this exactly. We can't judge a tool only on its potential for abuse without also considering its potential to help people when used properly. Remember, this isn't for people who want to lose 5 vanity pounds, this is for morbidly obese people.

Most definitely. In fact, I'd argue that if we applied such a line of thinking to more drugs and tech advances, we'd probably be much farther along than we are now. Population paranoia leaning toward worst case scenarios has always struck me as curious, to say the least.
  • PoundChaser2
    PoundChaser2 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I can see other medical problems coming from this device.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Seemed very much like surgically assisted bulimia along with encouraging people to continue to over-eat.

truly disgusting.

This.

Plus any time you have a port that goes through the skin, the rate of infection for those devices tend to be very high. They also tend to become dislodged easily (this is from experience, my FIL had a feeding tube for years and it would become dislodged even though he was wheelchair bound and so not moving much).

Just seems like this device would have a lot of mental and physical complications.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    The very idea of such a device is terrifying. What this means in society is huge. I have so much I want to say here but I don't even know where to begin. So I will just leave it.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    It's better than being dead or having a severely restricted life I suppose.

If someone created a pill which effectively blocked the absorption of a significant proportion of calories from eating then it would be hailed as a triumph and the creator would be richer than god. And possibly even Mark Zuckerberg.

This contraption does a similar thing but I guess it sounds rather gross in practice which is what freaks people out.

I think the obesity situation is so dire that I will stay open minded to any safe solution even if it doesn't sound like my cup of tea.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I wouldn't say purging is safe. Safer than other forms of purging yes but if you are emptying the stomach you are emptying vital nutrients and will develop deficiencies
    Eta: also electrolyte imbalances
  • msf74
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »

If someone created a pill which effectively blocked the absorption of a significant proportion of calories from eating then it would be hailed as a triumph and the creator would be richer than god. And possibly even Mark Zuckerberg.

This contraption does a similar thing but I guess it sounds rather gross in practice which is what freaks people out.

I think the obesity situation is so dire that I will stay open minded to any safe solution even if it doesn't sound like my cup of tea.

Am i the only one who finds it ridiculous that this type of pill/device is even necessary? How priviledged we are to live in this specific society.

In what world do we live in that people would rather not absorb the energy and nutrition they are eating just so they can over consume consistently; meanwhile there are 795 million people without access to enough food and water.

Not only do i find products like this disgusting, i find this mentality disgusting.

That's a fair point but it's a moral position (which many people will sympathise with I suspect.)

It's not a solution to the suffering caused by obesity and it is clear to me that many obese people do suffer.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

Am i the only one who finds it ridiculous that this type of pill/device is even necessary? How priviledged we are to live in this specific society.

In what world do we live in that people would rather not absorb the energy and nutrition they are eating just so they can over consume consistently; meanwhile there are 795 million people without access to enough food and water.

Not only do i find products like this disgusting, i find this mentality disgusting.

That's a fair point but it's a moral position (which many people will sympathise with I suspect.)

It's not a solution to the suffering caused by obesity and it is clear to me that many obese people do suffer.

I'll not deny that they suffer, but it's probably not best for me to comment further on the subject.
  • msf74
    Options

I'll not deny that they suffer, but it's probably not best for me to comment further on the subject.

I can respect that but I think as a society thrashing these issues out (in a non abusive way of course) is useful.

Of course, there may be some other benefits of this kind of research. If we can figure out how to block absorption using say a pill we may be able to figure out a cost effective way of maximising it as well. This could help with survival rates from starvation in developing countries.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

Awww, c'mon. It can't possibly be worse than anything I would normally say. ;)
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

I would say much of the obesity that causes such suffering is self inflicted. I feel that distinction needs to be made.

Having said that, I'm sure the topic has had more than a few go-arounds at mfp. :)