Which protein powder do you recommend

Options
Looking for recommendations for a protein powder that tastes good and helps you feel full without artifical sweetners etc. Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Isopure Whey Isolate. It's unflavored, has no sweeteners or additives. Great for use in flavored milk or almond milk, coffee, smoothies, pancakes, baked goods....pretty much anything.
  • bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    The cheapest one. Protein powder isn't going to vary much in its satiety.
  • jayleeskinner
    jayleeskinner Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I want it for days when I need a quick breakfast that I can bring with me on the go.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I want it for days when I need a quick breakfast that I can bring with me on the go.
    Maybe consider making smoothies with it the night before. The protein shake itself isn't going to fill you up/satisfy for any length of time.

Anecdotal - I used to think it was some kind of a "magic bullet" with regards to fitness. It's just another food source though. It's very useful if your diet isn't hitting your protein goal for the day, which is how I use it, but without adding fruits/veggies etc to it, it's not a suitable meal replacement.

@TR0berts and others gave me some great feedback in this thread. He also provided a great link for supplement reviews.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10486554/are-differences-among-protein-supplements-worth-noting-for-the-average-guy#latest
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I've gotten used to the Stevia flavour in Kaizen Naturals Chocolate Whey Protein Isolate. I like it better than the Vega Vanilla I tried at first. Plus all but 10 calories comes from the protein. But it's really just for when I'm not hitting my protein number. Sometimes I will blend it with ice and a banana and it is actually very tasty that way.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I like the Cytosport Chocolate Whey Protein sold at Costo for just $40 for 6 lbs. Tastes great and had to find a better price anywhere.
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I like sunwarrior and fitmiss but I generally only drink them in smoothies. The fitmiss I can drink alone with almond milk so usually I drink that after a work out, not really as a " keep me full" kind of thing. If you want to sub protein for a meal then do a high carb smoothie around 300-400 calories.
  • naculp
    naculp Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    The cheapest one. Protein powder isn't going to vary much in its satiety.

No, but it will vary in taste and mix-ability, and also in actual protein amounts per serving. Those are some key things to research beforehand.

Personally I use Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard.
  • illusion2269
    illusion2269 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    MyProtein offers a great line of cheap, quality protein!

Seconded. You can find deals to get 11lb bags of protein for around $50 frequently. It mixes well, and I've had good luck with the chocolate and vanilla flavors. I got a bag of unflavored that I have yet to try. Other flavors can be hit or miss depending on your personal tastes tho.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    At the moment, I am enjoying Bio-x in rocky road.
    The banana creme one was delicious, too.
  • BumbleBee37
    BumbleBee37 Posts: 7 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Inspire I liked pre-surgery, but don't like it now. I have been drinking my husband's protein for the last couple months. BodyTech Whey Tech Pro 24 from Vitamin Shoppe. I really like it. I make it with fat free fair life milk. I have a 3/4 scoop with 6 ounces of fair life milk each morning when I get up with my husband before he goes to work. It gets a nice big punch of protein in first thing in the morning. Then I usually have a half protein shake after I get home from the gym. The rest of my protein comes from food. I log everything. I go back to bed after my husband leaves and when I wake back up I have a dannon light and fit greek yogurt. For lunch I have a sargento balanced break. Those things I eat every day (occasionally I switch the yogurt for an egg). Supper varies. I eat whatever I cook for my husband.
  • jayleeskinner
    jayleeskinner Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

Another fan of MyProtein products here. Best prices, decent flavours and a massive range of products.
  • KatarinaKatherine1394
    Options

Herbalife.
    It's not just a protein powder, it's meant to help with weight loss and be used as a substitute for regular meals. I think it tastes good but it depends on your taste too... I used it for the same purpose you want it or if I ate more throughout a day so I need quick healthy low calorie option for dinner.. price can be a little bit higher but I can't be sure because it depends from where you live and who's your provider
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I like True Nutrition's Whey Protein Isolate Microfiltrated. 112 calories, 27 grams of protein, no fat or carbs per 30 g. I get it unflavored and unsweetened so I can get creative. I ran out awhile back and haven't gotten around to ordering more so I've been using the whey protein from the bulk bins at Winco. It has a couple grams of fat and carbs, and a little less protein.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options

Seconded. You can find deals to get 11lb bags of protein for around $50 frequently. It mixes well, and I've had good luck with the chocolate and vanilla flavors. I got a bag of unflavored that I have yet to try. Other flavors can be hit or miss depending on your personal tastes tho.

Yup. I've got 22# of stevia chocolate still sitting in my pantry that I bought during one of those sales. Couldn't resist the price. Still need to use up the last 6# bag of Cytosport chocolate whey (2nd of 2) that I bought from Costco awhile ago. Unless I go on a bulk, the MyProtein will probably last me a couple of years. LOL!!!

• thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    The EAS Whey at Target is actually pretty good and a good price. Both vanilla and chocolate are quite tasty. I think you're probably SOL on finding one without artificial sweeteners though. Maybe an unflavored, but most use something artificial to keep their carb count low.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options

If this is the case- I've been liking the Vega One nutritional shakes which are designed as a meal replacement. They're vegan and dairy free (good for me). The flavor isn't my favorite, but it's not bad and they actually keep me quite full. They're more balanced in terms of nutrition than just straight up protein powder too (but still 20g protein!)