Snacking

Options
I have a problem where I just keep snacking. It's always the first thing I do when I come home, after I exercise, when I'm bored or for no reason at all. Sometimes I'm actually hungry, other times I'm not. And once I start, it is practically impossible to stop. I thought that if I really have the urge to snack, I'd eat a healthy food like fiber one cereal or something like that, but I've noticed that the calories quickly add up. Does any one else have this problem or have any advice? Thanks & happy Friday! :happy:

Replies

• Erica002
    Erica002 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I'm interested to see the answers to this as I have the same problem. Even if I eat a healthy snack, the calories add on quick! And I too have the problem of eating when bored...
  • Kassielin13
    Kassielin13 Posts: 263
    Options
    I have changed my snacking from junk food to 100 calories snack packs and now to fresh deli sliced turkey! It fills me up really quick and 5 slices is only 70 calories!
  • abbie017
    abbie017 Posts: 410
    Options
    Try drinking water. It'll give you the feeling of being full, but you'll notice if you're actually hungry.
  • hlworley
    hlworley Posts: 1
    Options
    I drink hot green tea with splenda and it really helps me!
  • deenanna
    deenanna Posts: 39
    Options
    Quaker has these little berry flavored rice cake things called "Fiber Crisps". At 110 calories per serving with a serving being 13 pieces, they are a GREAT snack. I usually eat three for a snack with some water, they swell up in my belly and keep me full for a while. During work I keep some in my uniform pocket, I eat one when I start getting hungry and I usually only am able to eat a single serving within a few hours (if I have water and let them swell). Try that!
  • kmturtle3
    kmturtle3 Posts: 556
    Options
    I would snack ALL DAY LONG if it wasn't for green tea and water. I always have one with me. I think part of it is just boredom or wanting something to occupy me. Green tea does an amazing job of making me feel like I'm full, plus I get to drink something out of a coffee travel mug at work, which helps keep me away from chai lattes and caramel machiattos.
    Some snacking is good though obviously - keep that metabolism up!
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    If you have a habit of snacking then allow yourself around 200 calories leeway from what your caloric intake is everyday (while still keeping it at a deficit of 500 or 1000 depending on your goal) so that way you can snack on cereal, fruit or whatever and still feel satisfied without hurting your diet.
  • shannonschim
    Options
    After working out you need to have a snack w/protein very soon after the workout! Lots of people do the protein shakes but I would still feel the need to eat something. I usually have a handful of nuts or low fat string cheese w/an apple or a couple of slices of deli ham/chicken/or turkey.

Regarding snacks.....it also helped me to stop buying big bags of chips (my weakness). My kids still like to have chips now and then so I started buying the individually wrapped bags....believe it or not....it has stopped me from snacking on them...seeing the calorie count for such a small bag....no thanks!!!
  • WildflowerAL
    WildflowerAL Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I snack on almonds (usually 10 almonds will satisfy), laughing cow cheese with a couple of crackers/pretzel crisps or hummus with vegatables. I find that if I eat a protien rich snack it takes the hunger away versus somethink that is mostly carbs.
  • aarone29
    aarone29 Posts: 1
    Options
    I snack on fruits and vegetables. It was a tough thing for me to do at first but im in my fourth week of counting calories and seem to have adjusted. I find that i enjoy fruits more and carrots arent so bad. I try to snack at least every 2-3 hours so that im never feel hungry. I also look for the low calorie snacks. Nutr-Grain bars, fiber one bars and anything around 100 calories. I am finding out that when i do eat something high in calories i have the will power to not go overboard. I think more than anything its "mind over matter". Good luck!
  • sweetiebelle
    sweetiebelle Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Goos idea but, you are allowing your kids to eat the stuff?
  • sweetiebelle
    sweetiebelle Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Eating chips? I wouldn't have them in my house don't feed my kids them.its teaching kids bad eating habits
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I go in the kitchen with a number, 100 calories or so. I find what i need measure it out leave the kitchen. I got to the computer and add it to my food diary and then i eat it. I refuse to go over that amount is not an option and i want to eat dinner so i dont eat more, if i am hungry then that is another story that would be my fault for not eating more at lunch, i usually am not hungry. I drink bottles of water all day, it helps. it is all in your head you need to have will power and just not do it. it is like quitting cigarettes, it is hard but you need to stop.
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I relate to this. I just wrote a long response, but realized maybe you don't want long responses. So here's one simple strategy:

One thing that I do that helps sometimes is to write down—or tell someone or post on my MFP page—things like “I’m done eating until 3:00.” I know no one cares, but I feel like I’d be lying if I did what I said I wasn’t going to do, so it helps keep me more accountable.

(Let me know if you want my whole long response about my oversnacking, though.)

-LP
  • Erica002
    Erica002 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Eating chips? I wouldn't have them in my house don't feed my kids them.its teaching kids bad eating habits

Why's it matter how she's raising her kids?? That's not what this is about.

If you keep something from kids, it could hinder them when they're older and they start running around hiding from their parents and binging on such things as chips and then start getting fat. Things are good in moderation.

My husband likes the chip bags for his work lunch, I have the will power to stay away but I do allow my kids to have one bag a day in their lunches.
  • lanadlanad
    lanadlanad Posts: 12
    Options
    Thank you all for your great ideas. I'll make sure to try them out! Good luck :D
  • aprilfiege
    aprilfiege Posts: 28
    Options
    My favorite snacks;
    Jalapeno String Cheese with Lunch Meat (make sure your lunch meat is free of Nitrates)
    Peanut Butter (all natural) with Celery
    Tuna mixed with Veganaisse (because its healthier than mayo) and Celery/Dill Relish/Onion
    1/2 of a whole grain grilled cheese with 1 cup of tomato soup
    A whole grain waffle with peanut butter and banana
    Yogurt (Stonyfield; organic - "go gurt" style)
    Even a small bowl of cereal, about 1 cup (Brand: Mom's Best; Raisin Bran) its FULL of whole grains
    Chopped veggies with hummus
    Whole grain bread with freshly cut avocado on top of it (1 of my favorites!)

.... I am sure I am forgetting some but all of these really fill me up!!!!!

Just make sure you don't buy any garbage diet food snacks, those will leave you hungry in no time and a waste of calories... You want rich and healthy snacks that actually fill you up :)