Myp and Fitbit calorie adjustment help needed

Options
RJNixon40
RJNixon40 Posts: 4 Member
edited December 2016 in Food and Nutrition
Hi. I am worried my calorie adjustment is way to high. For example. On Fitbit I burn 2800 including exercise and active minutes. On myp my goal is 2800 but with using calorie adjustment each day I am always under by 1000/1400 depending on the day, that's a big under eat. Making me needing to eat approx 3800/4000 calories a day!!! The two app figures don't make sense. Its like mfp is adding the exercise/active minutes calories on top of my burn for the day. Surely that will make me add weight. Eating needs to stay under calories burnt. Hope some understands my explanation.

Replies

• CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    What type of Fitbit, a step tracker only or an all-day tracker? How long have you used the Fitbit? In the beginning, the Fitbit uses general algorithms for a similar population, then as time goes by, the Fitbit adjusts the algorithms based on your movement and Calorie logging. How much weight do you plan on losing? What Activity Level do you have MFP set at? How many pounds (or kilograms) per week have you set as your goal? What is your height?

Your answers to the above questions will help us provide more relevant advice.
  • rossannapc
    rossannapc Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    When you put your goal on mfp what was this is the number it would add to the exercise amount.... for example i need daily 1400 eat to lose 2 pounds weekly.... so yesterday i did on fitbit 12000 steps and i burn 900 calories more to eat... so i eat 1400 +900= 2300 calories... and a week i will lose like 2 pounds... what about you?
  • RJNixon40
    RJNixon40 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi. Exercise and activity varies everyday. Yesterday for example I burnt 3752 cal on Fitbit, ate 1937 on mfp and had an adjustment of 1517 for my active minutes and exercise giving me 2380 cal left to eat. If I ate this amount or most of this amount would this equal to or almost equal to the Fitbit total burn. My trainer is concerned even with a discrepancy % worked in that I am under eating.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I would assume your fitbit is overestimating calorie burn. Mine does base on arm activity which is not the same as actually walking. I use a fitbit charge HR. I actually have an ankle strap extender on its way from ebay, so I can move it to my ankle, and get a more accurate step count. I tied it on one day with a ribbon and it sat snugly and monitored heart rate correctly. Also, I use the feature for informing it that I'm working out and don't generally use its "activity" count as pure gospel. On the charge HR you hold down the button to start it tracking a workout, and when you're done stop the count by holding the button again. Since I don't consider random walking about my house as activity, this keeps me and my fitbit more honest.

What type of fitbit do you use? Where do you wear it on your body?
  • rossannapc
    Options
    Hi is no possible that calculation for example is you burn 3752 cal on Fitbit, ate 1937 on mfp = 1815 to eat from exercise.... i think you shoul turn on the negative calories on my fitness pal...
  • rossannapc
    Options
    Mine for example is 1200 goal 2119 food and 1580 exercise ( just 10000 steps at day) and to eat 539 for remaining. ... check the negative calories on my fitness pal
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    I would assume your fitbit is overestimating calorie burn.
    rossannapc wrote: »
    Hi is no possible that calculation for example is you burn 3752 cal on Fitbit
    We can not assume that the Fitbit is incorrect, because the original poster (OP) has not provided any information about her current weight, what her MFP Activity Level is set at, and how much activity (and the intensity of that activity) she is doing.

OP: if you want MFP users to provide more than just speculation, you should provide additional information about your stats. If you do not want to do that, you will have to either trust your trainer, or consult a medical or health professional who can help you.

• successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    CyberTone wrote: »
    I would assume your fitbit is overestimating calorie burn.
    Hi is no possible that calculation for example is you burn 3752 cal on Fitbit
    We can not assume that the Fitbit is incorrect, because the original poster (OP) has not provided any information about her current weight, what her MFP Activity Level is set at, and how much activity (and the intensity of that activity) she is doing.

OP: if you want MFP users to provide more than just speculation, you should provide additional information about your stats. If you do not want to do that, you will have to either trust your trainer, or consult a medical or health professional who can help you.

'I' would assume. You can do whatever you want.
  • rossannapc
    Options
    I give example cybertone, what about you? Thats what we supose to do in this forum try to help each other....
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I give example cybertone, what about you? Thats what we supose to do in this forum try to help each other....

Sometimes we need more information to provide useful help. That's all CyberTone was pointing out.
  • rossannapc
    Options

Sometimes we need more information to provide useful help. That's all CyberTone was pointing out.

I try at least and give some example.... people ask here because maybe they cant o dont want to go doctor so you give an opinion....