What is the REAL truth about carbs?

Options
124»

Replies

• JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    Most of my foods are carb dense XD

Which -and im NOT telling anyone to follow my lead- But i just find it interesting my nutritionist told me to eat a low carb high fat diet because i have PCOS (a hormonal thing that makes weight loss harder, low carbs supposedly helps with it) and my weight loss was SO hard. I love carbs. Second i swapped back to high carb my weight loss was so much easier and the weight dropped right off with simple calorie counting.

Im a strong believer in personal preference dieting, Only "diet" youll ever really stick to :p

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Fat burning can be affected by macro ratios, but adequate protein intake coupled with resistance training usually ensures retention of lean mass when eating in a deficit.

Yep.
  • jomariewill
    jomariewill Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    I've lost more weight (and kept it off) eating pizza and French fries (in moderation) than I ever did with any other diet.
    Not bread though. Turns out I don't like bread and I've always just eaten it because I thought I was suppose to.
    But i find it so sweet, it's gross. It's like eating a hamburger but the bun is cake, gross.

Now I want a burger using cake slices as the bun.

I want a burger with a donut as the bun, but that's a other discussion.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I've lost more weight (and kept it off) eating pizza and French fries (in moderation) than I ever did with any other diet.
    Not bread though. Turns out I don't like bread and I've always just eaten it because I thought I was suppose to.
    But i find it so sweet, it's gross. It's like eating a hamburger but the bun is cake, gross.

Wouldn't your hands get all sticky. :(
  • jomariewill
    jomariewill Posts: 35 Member
    Options

Wouldn't your hands get all sticky. :(

I've actually had this burger before at a Wyndham hotel in Orlando, Florida. It was called the Krispy Creame burger and it was AMAZING. It had bacon on it. It's probably the single reason I am on a diet now lol.
  • kristynamanda3838
    Options
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options

You may want to bake your own bread. I do. And I don't add sugar to it because that's just plain evil.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    trjjoy wrote: »

You may want to bake your own bread. I do. And I don't add sugar to it because that's just plain evil.

How do you make bread without sugar? Yeast needs sugar to feed on.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

I found this....

Making bread without sugar is nothing strange - I do so several times a week! The wheat flour (or whatever you're using) contains enzymes which, when you blend it with water, breaks down starch to sugars which fermenting agents such as yeast or lactobacilli can feed off.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options

What? No it doesn't. Not added sugar anyway. And it doesn't need warm water either. Both of those are just shortcuts to speed the process up.

Try it. A kilogram of plain (all purpose) flour, a sachet of easy bake yeast, 10-20g salt (I use 15g) and 600-650ml water. Hand-hot if you want it to rise in an hour, cold if you don't mind leaving it 3-4 hours. Mix, knead, shape into two loaves. Let rise till doubled and doesn't spring back when you poke it. Put in a cold oven with a pan with 2 cups of water in the bottom. Turn oven on to Max, bake for 30min. Turn down to 180C/350F, tip loaves out of tins and bake, checking every 5min, until the bottoms sound hollow when knocked.

It really is that simple. I only add sugar when using whole wheat flour, as a little brown sugar really brings out the flavour.

Carbs are great. They're a source of energy, which we need. I don't feel right unless I've had my starchy carbs. I like whole grains as they keep me fuller for longer, but I like white too, and some of those fill me up well, too. Starchy carbs make me feel warm and well-stoked, and I am completely in favour of them.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

It was solid information until he took the insulin theory semi-seriously.

I would agree but thay could have bee influenced by the whole insulin theory being a lot bigger in 2012. Overall builtlean generally have good information on it. Or it did in the past.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

We bake bread without yeast too ..just flour water and starter

Well we make sourdough with a homemade starter ...made from flour and water

Rye sourdough ...calorie dense, delicious and I've got to stop eating it
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Yep, yeast is perfectly capable of using the starch in the flour as food.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

We made burgers with croissants as the buns once, the store didn't have any other bread. They were magnificent.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

It was solid information until he took the insulin theory semi-seriously.

I would agree but thay could have bee influenced by the whole insulin theory being a lot bigger in 2012. Overall builtlean generally have good information on it. Or it did in the past.

I didn't notice the date of the piece. Good point.