A little help from "losers"........

Options
I have been overweight most of my life, but after 2 c-sections and a few other small surgeries, and I admit ,excuses... I am now obese. I am turning 30 this year and I am determined to be thin and healthy to make it to 40 and beyond. I have joined a gym and have a geat friend that goes with me everyday, even though she hardly needs it. I try to burn at least 500 calories a day and MFP says my calorie intake should be 2040, I have cut that down to 1500 a day. I stay at or right below that without feeling hungry. I feel great and have a lot more energy. I am a little over my 3 week mark and have lost 8 pounds. Does this seem like a good plan? Any pointers? So far I love MFP, there are so many supportive people and so many BIG LOSERS!! I hope to be one soon!

Replies

• jcpm98
    jcpm98 Posts: 114
    Options
    I have been overweight most of my life, but after 2 c-sections and a few other small surgeries, and I admit ,excuses... I am now obese. I am turning 30 this year and I am determined to be thin and healthy to make it to 40 and beyond. I have joined a gym and have a geat friend that goes with me everyday, even though she hardly needs it. I try to burn at least 500 calories a day and MFP says my calorie intake should be 2040, I have cut that down to 1500 a day. I stay at or right below that without feeling hungry. I feel great and have a lot more energy. I am a little over my 3 week mark and have lost 8 pounds. Does this seem like a good plan? Any pointers? So far I love MFP, there are so many supportive people and so many BIG LOSERS!! I hope to be one soon!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    As long as you're eating those 500 cals burned from excercise back, I think it sounds like you're doing great! Keep it up! :flowerforyou:
  • artschoolgirl
    artschoolgirl Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Wow! It sounds like you're already a seasoned pro!! I think you just need to keep up the amazing work and keep us MFP'ers around if you need support!!

Best of luck!

63679.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    What is you calorie deficit? Normally it isn't recommended that you have a dailly calorie deficit over 1000 however if you have a lot of weight to lose (80 or more lbs) it should be okay.

You are doing great with burning calories! When I started I could only burn 50.

Great plan and congratulations on the 8lbs lost!!:flowerforyou:
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    sounds good to me.
    AS for eating your exercise calories to each is own.

Some people get results by eating there extra workout calories
    And others don't. That would have to be your choice whether to eat them or not.

Keep up the good work. Seems like you are on the right track 500 calories burned a day. thats good-
  • jcpm98
    Options
    My goal is to lose 150 pounds, if I lose 1-2 pounds a week I am a happy loser!
  • artschoolgirl
    artschoolgirl Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Yah Happy Losers!! I say we need a new group, starting NOW!!!! I declare HAPPY LOSERS the new unstoppable weight loss team!! Seems like the groups that I've joined in the past few days have died quickly :grumble:

63679.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • rosered51
    rosered51 Posts: 189
    Options
    I think you sound very motivated...you are on the right track so far. Congrats on the 8 lbs!!! Way to go! Keeping your positive attitude is the most important part, exercise is addictive also...that wonderful high you get, no money can buy! Sounds like you have a wonderful friend and supporter. Lucky you! :)
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    sounds good to me.

Keep up the good work. Seems like you are on the right track 500 calories burned a day. thats good-

I agree to a certain extent. But not in this case. If she eats 1500cals and burns 500consistently that and doesn't eat them back then she's only getting 1000cals for bodily functions and that is simply way to low. That means starvation whether you're overweight or not.
  • xtina11179
    Options
    I have always wondered that about eating your exercise calories.... Are you supposed to?? It seems as though that defeats the purpose of exercising. For example, I get 1220 calories a day, today I walked on the treadmill @ 4.0 for 40 minutes burning 385 (per MFP's database) and after dinner I have 303 calories left over. Is this good or bad???
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    sounds good to me.

I agree to a certain extent. But not in this case. If she eats 1500cals and burns 500consistently that and doesn't eat them back then she's only getting 1000cals for bodily functions and that is simply way to low. That means starvation whether you're overweight or not.

i agree. it is ok to eat as long as you are eating correctly. drinking water and working out are essential, but the body needs food to burn. i am proud of your weight loss and determination! keep up the good work and eat those calories! :drinker:
  • heather0mc
    Options
    I have always wondered that about eating your exercise calories.... Are you supposed to?? It seems as though that defeats the purpose of exercising. For example, I get 1220 calories a day, today I walked on the treadmill @ 4.0 for 40 minutes burning 385 (per MFP's database) and after dinner I have 303 calories left over. Is this good or bad???

your body can go into starvation mode if you dont eat the calories back. starvation mode is no good for weight loss - metabolism slows and your body hangs on to food when it shouldnt.

i posted this earlier today: before mfp i was on a very low cal diet and excercise for 6 weeks and lost 3 pounds. after mfp, i am logging all my food and doing the same excercise. i have lost at least 4 pounds but the offical weigh in is not until next week so i dont know for sure. it has only been 3 weeks and i have energy and strength i didnt have on the before mfp diet plan...
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    sounds good to me.

I agree with you on the calorie thing. 1000 calories is not enough to sustain, I think you need to keep to the calories that MFP has set for you. I am supposed to eat no less then 1270 a day not including the excercise calories. I think what will happen is your body will stop losing eventually and go back into starving mode. Try eating the calories givin to you and the excercise cals and see what happens. Remember you DO NOT have to eat things not good for you, you can still eat the calories with things that are healthy so you leave out whatever guilt you feel you may have for eating over 2000 cals.....

Good job on the excercise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO GREEN!!!
  • jcpm98
    Options
    Thanks! You Rock!! I love that I can get info from people that have been there, it helps so much!!!
  • heather0mc
    Options
    Thanks! You Rock!! I love that I can get info from people that have been there, it helps so much!!!

this site is AMAZING!!!
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    Its a confusing discussion because some doctors and trainers tell you burn what you take in. Dont eat the extra calories. And others say to eat some not all.

I say everyone is different. The whole goal is to get a deficit in your calories
    Im not trying to step on anyones toes I am just saying try things if eating your exercise calories works for you then go for it but for some people me included dont reap the benefits of eating exercise calories.

But obviously you are on the right track so keep doing what you are doing. Congrats on the weightloss already and continue with your journey
  • Landon66
    Landon66 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Go with what is working for you. I have tried eating my extra calories, and unless I go with a lot of high fat/sodium/bad stuff, I feel to stuffed at the end of the day. I do try to eat some of them, but I usually can't eat them all.
    If your body doesn't react negatively to the deficit then it seems to me that it is not hurting you, but I am in no way an expert on it. I've had people tell me I should be eating more (not on this site--folks here get it) but it's usually because they are eating more. If your clothes get loose, and the weight keeps heading in the right direction, keep workin hard at it.
    I'm actually sleeping at night too. I get to bed and asleep usually by 9 at the latest and before I wouldn't even get in bed before 11. Gives me the energy for my morning workouts and my body doesn't feel weak all the time like it was before. Just another suggestion. I know not everyone likes going to bed early, but I think this has helped me as much as anything.
    Keep up the good work.
    Landon