How do i get started? Cardio or Weights first?

Options
x0x5683x0x
x0x5683x0x Posts: 4 Member
edited December 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi All :)

A bit about me: 29 / F / 139kgs / 171cm / PCOS / Polynesian / New to fitness, healthy eating & creating a healthier lifestyle.

I've spent 3 months working on healthy eating alone but now feel I am ready to step it up a notch by adding in some exercise.

I prefer bootcamps/group activities over gym but having been thinking about joining a gym to get some weight sessions underway.

Obviously I'm wanting to lose weight so do I start with Cardiovascular first or can I do both weights and cardio? Also, of I do start with Cardio, when I do introduce weights (or vice versa)

I have quite a big overhang (lower Tummy flab) so I want to make sure everything kinda goes back (if you know what I mean lol) Also, if you could advise what the best exercises for an overhang would be that would be greatly appreciated x

Thanks guys :)

Replies

• TheDrew85
    TheDrew85 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi there! and congrats for trying to make yourself a more healthy, fit person! I'm not much of a gym goer myself, I guess I find it just kind of embarrassing lol, but if your looking for some exercise that wont kill you, I'd try checking out T25, there are tons of success stories involved around that, and I think you would really enjoy it, it utilizes both cardio and weights, and shaun T is pretty amazing :) Best of luck to you and keep nailing it!
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    So if weightloss is your goal then continue with your calorie deficit.

If you want to improve your cardio health, then start by doing walk/run intervals on a program like Couch 2 5K.

If you would like to strength train to retain your muscle mass as you lose weight and become stronger, then I would suggest a free weight training program such as Starting Strength or StrongLifts 5x5.

You can definitely do both - tons of people do, but you should not let one program interfere with the recovery of another.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Welcome! From what I understand, strength training is especially helpful for women with PCOS.

A good fitness program should incorporate both strength training and cardio.

Check out this thread for recommendations for strength training programs:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    At the beginning, it's more important to develop the habit of staying active daily with lower-intensity activities ( walking, cardio, etc), and to increase them gradually to avoid injuries. I would wait a couple months before starting strength training, unless you can work with a good personal trainer. Obese beginners often have muscle imbalances and poor movement skills, which can lead to poor form or overuse injuries. Whenever you're ready, follow a proven strength program, don't do your own thing. If you can't work with a trainer, i suggest New Rules of Lifting for Life. A barbell-based program might not be ideal for starting out.

Exercises don't target fat or loose skin, so that doesn't modify your exercise program. Much of the loose skin may snap back on it's own within 2 years of losing the weight.

Search for the PCOS group. The consensus seems to be that keeping carbs low helps. I mention this because some people's notion of a healthy diet is high in carbs (vegetarian, juice, etc). :+1:
  • schwest76
    schwest76 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS too and found weights work the best for me. You could always do both, as long as you don't over do it. If you only pick one then my opinion is start with weights; it'll tone you, it's better for your PCOS and the calorie burn lasts longer than cardio alone.

When I first started I worked out 5 days a week and would do weights one day then 30 minutes of cardio the next. It really helped the weight come off.

Best of luck!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I would (and did) master some bodyweight movements before moving on to lifting. As mentioned already, strength work seems to be very beneficial for women with PCOS. In my experience, being more active in general helps immensely. It does for everybody but I can say that being active every day for 45-60 minutes minimum let me lose 50 lbs while averaging at least 1750 calories while other women I know with PCOS who did not make a point to be active every day complained they had to eat 1200-1400 to lose.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I second the recommendation to start with bodyweight.

Another good bodyweight routine not listed in the link I posted above is in Bret Contreras' Strong Curves book. You could do the bodyweight routine and then move on to the regular program.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Pick an exercise you like- you are more apt to stick with it. Once you get into good gym habits you can start adding stuff in. I loved running but eventually added lifting in, which I loved a lot less but the knew would help me overall with both my weight loss and running goals.

I also second starting weights with a good trainer. You can very easily hurt yourself otherwise.
  • x0x5683x0x
    Options
    Afternoon all, thank you for taking the time to reply :) and advising the best way to Kickstart the fitness part of my journey.

Thank you for also keeping my medical condition in mind as well. All your feedback has pointed me in the same direction. I'll also have a good read of the links you provided.

The plan for me and my goals will be too:

1.) Start moving and make a habit of it
    2.) Look into body weight/weights exercises for beginners
    3.) Start with a trainer to avoid potential injury

Cheers guys :)

Watch this Space.

Cheers
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Your primary goal should be - safety first. Avoid injury. At 139 kg, getting into heavy lifting with barbells and such, it's going to be easy to hurt yourself. Plus you dont need to build any more muscle. You will be able to preserve your muscle with just general exercise. Walk a lot, do low impact exercise like elliptical (with resistance), etc.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Your primary goal should be - safety first. Avoid injury. At 139 kg, getting into heavy lifting with barbells and such, it's going to be easy to hurt yourself. Plus you dont need to build any more muscle. You will be able to preserve your muscle with just general exercise. Walk a lot, do low impact exercise like elliptical (with resistance), etc.

Lifting will help retain OP's muscle along with adequate protein. I get the safety issue that comes from lifting, but if the OP does research into proper form and technique, it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Bodyweight exercises should be a good place to start.
  • x0x5683x0x
    Options
    Hi Samanthaluangphixay, what does OP mean?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    x0x5683x0x wrote: »

Original Poster - that's you! :)
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Do whatever feels good to start, get some variety in your routine so you have sustainability and open yourself up to more options. You'll end up specializing naturally.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    x0x5683x0x wrote: »

f354b457ccf35cb10e861cf916de40c5.jpg

Just kidding...it is Original Poster or Original Post
  • x0x5683x0x
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Haha Thanks guys. Sorry, I don't know how to use this properly lol Also, I may have accidently reported some of the posts as I was trying to reply with the original content included lol Now you definitely know I'm a newbie here lol But overall, thank you for all your feedback and advice. Will look into everything suggested as im sure my right knee would appreciate me researching exercises that would keep it turning to mush kos of how turned out it is ☺