Biking

Options
bopper
bopper Posts: 352 Member
I was wondering what do you call the thing you set your bike in so you can ride it inside the house. I am either going to buy a spinner bike (which is pretty expensive) or I had a thought that if I could get that thing you set your bike into, I could bring my bike in the house and ride it on days it's to hot or in winter.

Thanks, I just can't think of what you call that.

Replies

• zornig
    zornig Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    There are two kinds of things you can use: a trainer (either magnetic or wind) or rollers. I recommend a trainer if you are not an experienced cyclist, as rollers are much harder to control and balance on. A good trainer manufacturer is CycleOps.
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    ...and if buying a trainer get one with a tension adjust you can do whilst on the bike
  • fredd500
    fredd500 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    A turbo trainer is a term I have come across. You clamp it on to the rear wheel.
  • bopper
    Options
    Thanks so much, I am looking into these ideas now :)

Now would this one be a good one. I am not a competitive biker, I ride a cruiser bike but I go about 12 miles per ride.

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_120205_-1_202630_10000_202608
  • bopper
    Options
    I looked on Ebay too but need help from those of you experienced with these. I don't know what is good and what isn't.
  • thebiggreenmachine
    thebiggreenmachine Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    The type of trainer you're looking for comes in 3 different variations: wind, fluid, magnetic. Here's a basic breakdown of the 3 types: http://cycling-review.com/accessories/bicycle-trainer/ .

If you just plan on using it for some easy riding, I wouldn't spend too much on one.

Here's a good website with some reviews of trainers: http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/training/trainers/pls_1663crx.aspx . You can look through the reviews and get an idea of the pros and cons for each type of trainer. You could also go into a bike shop and ask their opinion and see what they say.
  • bopper
    Options
    Thanks I was thinking the same thing. I could go to where I bought my bike and ask their opinions, then if there was a problem I could go back there. I'll check out those reviews though also. Thanks.
  • bopper
    Options
    What do you think of this trainer?

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/69177?feat=8212-GN2
  • bopper
    Options
    bump......
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    The trainer from LL Bean looks good. You can actually find come for about half the price. I am trying to remember the brand of my beginning trainer, but I've gone blank. It was only about $80-90??? I actually use it as much as I use my Kinetic Rock & Roll that was $500.

Like meeting another cycle enthusiast...Take care!

P.S. Friend me & we can compare notes...I like to see what every else is doing.
  • bopper
    Options
    Thanks Stacy, I have been looking at different trainers and spinning bikes.
  • trigrrl
    trigrrl Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    i use to manage a bike / triathlon shop so when it came to getting feedback from customers, i feel i have a bit of insight... the vote hands down was the CycleOps Fluid trainer..they are quieter then the magnetic ones and have a much longer life span...they do cost a bit more up front but the rolling tension is more of a constant where the again the Mags can be a bit "jumpy" feeling

the only thing i want to mention as a sidebar to anybrand you buy....
    if you are staying indoors with it only, consider getting a trainer tire..they "shed" less, meaning less debris flying off your trainer
    and if you are back and forth on it indoors and out...get a towel under it / you and stick a piece of construction paper along the wall behind you..its a nightmare to try and get those bits of bike dirt off floors and walls