Do u gain allot of weight from being pregnant

Options
Does most of weight come off after u have the. baby and if u don't breast feed is it harder to lose weight ..also how much do u gain during pregnancy and would u gain double if u have twins? Sorry I really have no idea

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I gained 50 pounds with both of my pregnancies and breastfed for feeding purposes only, not for weight loss.
  • purdybee
    purdybee Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I didn't gain much with my first two, but my third ruined me. -_- she is two months old now and I breast feed. I'm still having trouble dropping some of the weight.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    enutdav wrote: »
    You don't have to gain a lot of weight with your pregnancy. This answer is not really cut and dry there are a lot factors that go into it

This.

The answer is a firm maybe, maybe not. Same for breastfeeding. It may help you lose weight but it's not a guarantee. I lost very little while breastfeeding due to extreme hunger. Cutting calories was very difficult. But I was also a super producer so that was the trade off.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    In addition to other womens experiences, this would be a great question to ask your ob/gyn and hopefully use as a reason to ask for a referral to a registered dietitian. Assuming you either just found out you are pregnant or are trying to decide whether you want to get pregnant. It can be very individual, and the pros can take your specific situation into consideration. :drinker:
  • SuperNerd42
    SuperNerd42 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Depends on your body, your genetics, and honestly each pregnancy. You do lose a good chunk right away, but not everything. My own recent example- I walked out of the hospital 15 lbs lighter than I walked in. 7 pounds of that was baby, the other 8 was placenta, fluid, etc. I'm still working on the "above and beyond" weight :)
  • jemhh
    Options
    Depends on your body, your genetics, and honestly each pregnancy. You do lose a good chunk right away, but not everything. My own recent example- I walked out of the hospital 15 lbs lighter than I walked in. 7 pounds of that was baby, the other 8 was placenta, fluid, etc. I'm still working on the "above and beyond" weight :)

I went in at 207 and left at 204. Baby was 7 lbs but I had swelling related to pregnancy-induced hypertension.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I'm 26 weeks and so far have only gained 8 lbs. according to my midwife and doctor, the amount you should gain depends on your weight before becoming pregnant. Since I was obese (250) when I got pregnant, thebgoal for me is between 11-20 lbs, which I'm not finding difficult at all since less room in stomach as baby grows.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I gained about 40lbs with each pregnancy. I always ended up at 205 lbs. Every time.

Within a week of giving birth I was usually down to 175-178lbs. The extra 10lbs hung on for close to 12 months until their breast feeding demands were lower. I was one of those people who holds onto weight when bf'ing and then it falls off afterwards.
  • SDB210
    SDB210 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, and how much you gain is supposed to have something to do with your pre pregnancy weight and BMI. The higher the BMI the less you're 'supposed' to gain....

My second baby is 9 and a half months old. I had a normal BMI of 20.6 pre pregnancy and according to the guidelines was apparently supposed to gain 25-35lbs.... I weighed the day before birth and had gained 43 lbs (whoops), the day after birth I had lost 12 lbs (she was 7lb 14). 1 week later I had lost another 8 lb without trying. Then I stayed the same weight until I started logging around 10 weeks ago. I've lost 18 lbs so far with only 5 to go.

• Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,146 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    I'm 26 weeks and so far have only gained 8 lbs. according to my midwife and doctor, the amount you should gain depends on your weight before becoming pregnant. Since I was obese (250) when I got pregnant, thebgoal for me is between 11-20 lbs, which I'm not finding difficult at all since less room in stomach as baby grows.

This must be a new thing because when I got pregnant (many years ago...), I was 102lbs and when I walked in the hospital I was almost 121lbs and 109lb when I left the hospital. My first baby was eight and half lbs.

By the end of my first trimester and due to awful morning sickness, I was under 100lbs so the doctor guided me to recuperate the weight lost and kept a watchful eye on how much I gained during the rest of the pregnancy. I had my second baby less than a year later >:), my pregnancy was better and I only gained 15lbs. This baby was smaller because I was induced.

I noticed that now most of moms-to-be gain a lot of weight during their pregnancies and doctors don't seem to worry about it. What has changed? Because reading some of the comments in MFP they all have a hard time getting back to a normal weight and I don't remember me or my friends (all grandmoms now), having the same problem.
  • kermax39
    kermax39 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I gained alot with my first two back when I was slim, but with my 3rd many years later I was obese when I fell pregnant. I only gained baby weight from that pregnancy. The body works harder and burns,more calories if your obese and pregnant, which is why many bigger women gain very little during pregnancy.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I gained 55lbs with first and lost 25lbs in first week then 1-2lbs every week without trying while breastfeeding but stayed around 14lbs overweight

I gained 22 lbs with second, lost 8lbs at birth then nothing at all while breastfeeding and and stayed around 14lbs over my previous weight

You can't tell
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    i went from 115 to almost 150! more then they suggest, but the weight did come off within about 4 months or so. i think its more genetics and your weight before etc...i agree with all the above comments...
  • Arapacana1
    Arapacana1 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I gained 40 pounds during my first pregnancy and 15 during my second. Both babies were a healthy weight.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    JustAnotherGirlSuzanne Posts: 932 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    First baby I gained 50 lbs. After baby I lost most of the weight and second baby I was smart and tracked calories on MFP and only gained 22 lbs. 20 lbs off right after baby was born.

There is a group on here for pregnant women that can help you out with how to adjust your calorie goals specific to each trimester and your BMI. There are also pregnancy weight gain calculators that can help you understand what your goals should be.

The biggest thing is to eat healthy meals since you are literally building another human being. Eat your veggies, take your prenatals, and water, water, water. I'll link the pages I mentioned below.

MFP pregnancy group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1903-fit-fabulous-pregnant
    Pregnancy Weight Gain Calculator: http://www.calculator.net/pregnancy-weight-gain-calculator.html

ETA: Some people lose quickly while nursing and others do not. You do burn calories while nursing, but nursing also ramps up your hunger quite a bit. It also keeps your hormones at a different level than if you were not nursing... Don't chose to nurse or to not nurse based on weight loss alone. Nursing is for your baby's health and well-being and it is highly recommended by medical professionals. I personally found it just as difficult to lose weight while nursing as I do while not.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I was 20 lbs heavier than my pre-pregnancy weight after my dd was born.
    You should talk to your doctor about your pregnancy concerns and questions.
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I agree...i took being pregnant as a "free meal ticket" for Lack of better words! I ate healthy foods, but LARGE portions....

Gisel2015 wrote: »

This must be a new thing because when I got pregnant (many years ago...), I was 102lbs and when I walked in the hospital I was almost 121lbs and 109lb when I left the hospital. My first baby was eight and half lbs.

By the end of my first trimester and due to awful morning sickness, I was under 100lbs so the doctor guided me to recuperate the weight lost and kept a watchful eye on how much I gained during the rest of the pregnancy. I had my second baby less than a year later >:), my pregnancy was better and I only gained 15lbs. This baby was smaller because I was induced.

I noticed that now most of moms-to-be gain a lot of weight during their pregnancies and doctors don't seem to worry about it. What has changed? Because reading some of the comments in MFP they all have a hard time getting back to a normal weight and I don't remember me or my friends (all grandmoms now), having the same problem.

• crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. With my first two I ended up weighing less on my delivery days, than what I weighed at my initial pre-natal appointments-'courtesy' of non-stop, utterly miserable morning sickness for 9 full months, with each pregnancy :p My third pregnancy I had the more normal 3 months of morning sickness and I ended up gaining around 20lbs/had an 8 pound baby.
  • jemhh
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »

Having trouble losing pregnancy weight is not a new problem. Different women gain different amounts and then have different experiences getting it off. You read MFP posts from women who are having trouble getting it off because the average woman who doesn't have trouble with it isn't on MFP talking about it.