Strengthen My Immune System

Options
Hi There,
Just wondering if anyone has some tips/tricks to strengthening their immune system especially now that cold/flu season is here. I feel like I will get a cold, be over it for maybe 3 weeks to a month and then something comes back.
I really enjoy working out and I want to be as healthy as possible to work out and not worry if I will catch a cold within a month of getting rid of the old one.
Do you have any tips/tricks as to how you keep your immune system strong over the winter months?
Thank you in advance!

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I found, as I have gotten older, I don't get as many colds. The last one I had was over two years ago. I let my body do its thing. My immune system does not need boosting.
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Eat a diet high in fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, and low in saturated fat. I dont especially like too many veggies, but i do toss them in my smoothies a lot more this time of year(spinach) and stuff like that. I work in a school so washing hands a ton..and the basic's...i have also been doing some researching myself on this and found this article...not sure how valid it is, but i will pass it along. "Avoid Sugar—research shows that white blood cells have a decreased ability to engulf bacteria when exposed to high levels of sugar, thus suppressing your immune system and your ability to fight infection. A 1976 study, for example, published in Dental Survey found that drinking 24 ounces of sugared cola depressed the activity of bacteria eating neutrophils for a minimum of five hours. Stick to natural sweeteners that are low on the glycemic index. And, if you are wondering what artificial sweeteners can do to your immune system, read this report."....seems like an old report, but makes some sense...If i find more i will pass it along:)
  • Strength2Succeed
    Strength2Succeed Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the feedback janicelo1971.
    I do struggle with sugar cravings and its really hard sometimes. I am hypoglycemic-something i recently found out. I try to eat something every two hours to keep my blood sugar levels decent and not want to crave sugar. It is slowly getting better. I have also started drinking Moroccan-Style Mint/Green Tea. I love it and I do add a little bit of vanilla milk and I try to consider that my treat lol.
    I have been trying to eat more protein and yes veggies I am aiming to keep a tray at home at all times for snacks and mix with meals.
    Thank you for the advice I will do my best to use these recommendations everyday.
    I love working out and when I get feeling ill it really ticks me off lol. I am trying some new weight lifting exercises and I look forward to each workout so I really want to be feeling as good as possible! Thank you again!
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Wash your hands often, don't touch your face. Use a nasal spray if it gets cold and dry. If people want to be shaking hands and stuff, politely decline and say "Oh I won't shake your hand I feel like I might have a bit of a cold" or something. Clean down your workspace often too if you work in an office with a bunch of other people, your phone headset and keyboard and stuff like that.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    For me, getting sick and fighting off the illness strengthens my immune system. If you don't want to get sick, stay away from people (not guaranteed).
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Hand washing and sanitizing gel. Carry gel with you at all times. Your hands may get dry from so much washing, so find a lotion you like that helps (use lubriderm).

Also make sure you are getting enough nutrients, sleep and stay hydrated.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Probiotics
    Vitamin D
    Vitamin C
    Washing hands like a crazy person.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Just tossing this out there because it has worked for myself as well my family and quite a few friends: if and when you get a sore throat, make a cup of tea. Add in 1-2 table spoons of pure unfiltered Apple Cidar vinegar and some honey. It could just be coincidental, but a lot of people swear by it for sore throats. Tastes nasty though. If nothing else, the honey does seem to soothe the throat.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Just tossing this out there because it has worked for myself as well my family and quite a few friends: if and when you get a sore throat, make a cup of tea. Add in 1-2 table spoons of pure unfiltered Apple Cidar vinegar and some honey. It could just be coincidental, but a lot of people swear by it for sore throats. Tastes nasty though. If nothing else, the honey does seem to soothe the throat.

I take a spoon of honey for a sore throat. Lol
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Vitamin C and zinc supplements or logenzes.