Is this possible?

Options
Hi there.

I have been taking my diet seriously this past week for the first time in months. On Wednesday I was excited to see that I had lost 9 pounds. I went out to buy some goodies for a party I'm having on Friday, which included alcohol.

I ended up drinking quite a bit of it myself that night and this morning the scale is telling me I've gained 7 lbs back.

Now, I'm not looking for a tsk tsk or discussions about my drinking or ay of that. What I'm looking for is an answer to the question "Is that possible"?

A pound is 3,500 calories, and I drank a lot but not 24,500 calories worth.

Replies

• eates
    eates Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    It's probably mostly water weight.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    It's water. There's no way that you gained 7lbs in one night. But drinking slows things down. I myself have hit that slow a bunch. I drink that's just part of it for me. I'm trying to change the eating and exercise habits to help me live a healthier life but I'm not giving up my cocktails. :)

Relax and drink a ton of water and you'll see it go away.
  • Ptarmigan74
    Options
    You can easily "gain" or "lose" several pounds from day to day based on what time of day you weigh, your level of hydration, how much water your body might be retaining from (for instance) salt consumption. It's meaningless. You have to look at the trend over time.
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options

Agreed
  • TriThreat
    TriThreat Posts: 313
    Options

I agree. My sister had the same problem when she ate lots of salty foods. Her salt intake affected the water her body was holding to make sure she didn't dehydrate. if your body is retaining liquid, then it will register as more weight.
  • rileymama
    rileymama Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Water weight most likely..drink some lemon water, watch your salt and eat healthy today and bet you'll be down again tommorrow
  • brbetha01
    brbetha01 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Another possible explanation is if you weighed yourself at different times. My weight fluctuates throughout the day which is why I weigh-in at the same time each week.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Party snacks = salt. It's water weight.
  • camy_chick
    camy_chick Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    i know i have only been on here for 3 weeks, but just give it some more time to balance out. i went and weighed myself on 7/8 and it gave me my lowest weight so far starting, then back on there the next few days said 9 lbs back up. and i was like, REALLY? i just gained 1/2 of what i have lost already? don't think so! and now that it has been another week, i am down those 9, and then a few. and i don't know if you check your weight at the beginning or the end of the day. but make sure you are staying consistent with it. i do my weights in the am, right after i've gone to the bathroom. i figure then i'm the lightest i will be all day, no food in me, no drinks in me, and an empty digestive track.
  • rori20
    rori20 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. To clarify, I always weight in the morning after I use the restroom. By the way, I didn't have any salty snacks, just my booze. ;)

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that it doesn't sound impossible for this to be water weight. I just couldn't believe that amount of water weight could have accumulated in less than 48 hours. I also couldn't believe it was fat.

I'll drink a ton of water today and see if that flushes things out.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    If I have alcohol it's usually a Friday or Saturday night. It takes my body until about Weds. or Thursday to get rid of the extra fluids but I can sometimes get it to go a little faster if I keep my carbs really low for a couple of days after.