Please tell me about your go-to salty snacks

Options
Hi there. I have braces. I will have them for the next 2 years! This has changed my diet in some ways. Some of my go-to snacks were things like jerky, nuts, popcorn, carrots. I can eat those things still, but it is such a pain to deal with while wearing braces - especially at work. I have my sweet low cal go-to snacks down -- blueberries are at the top of my list. I make my own hummus and eat it with half a pita pocket almost daily, but I want crunch sometimes. What are some of your salty (but not super crunchy/hard) snacks? I need to have something on hand so I don't make bad choices. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• litoria
    litoria Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Steamed edamame beans with salt. So good, good for you, and delicious
  • scootergirl110
    scootergirl110 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I forgot about edamame! We used to buy it often. Thanks for the reminder. :)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Snacking is slowly killing our health. Braces would be sunch a great incentive to stick to regular meals.
  • espressoshotsnheavysquats
    espressoshotsnheavysquats Posts: 54 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    (Snacks don't kill health, poor decisions do?) Veggie chips or sticks. Homemade fries. Cheese chips. Kale chips. Broccoli slaw and sliced almonds is one of my favorites right now (for crunch)- I add ranch for flavor
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Seaweed snacks
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    How does snacking kill our health? As someone who was underweight with a small appetite,snacking has helped me to reach a healthier weight. It doesn't have to mean sugary foods.
    For a salty snack- how about marmite on soft bread?
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Snacking kills our health? Um, no.

So if I cut out my snacks, and eat thousands of calories of fried protein, melted cheese, and a dinner plate sized roll at each meal, I'd be healthier? Because I didn't have that 200 calories of pretzels and peanut butter? :confused:
  • scootergirl110
    Options
    Seaweed snacks

I think in the last few weeks I may have overdosed on Annie Chunn's Wasabi seaweed snacks. Taking a break. :)

• janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Love, LOVE these!! i also do salted almonds and seaweed snacks...
    litoria wrote: »

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Can you fit a small bag of chips into your calories?
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Popcorn! Boom chicka pop white cheddar has a barely there flavour but it's somehow still good.
  • scootergirl110
    Options
    Love, LOVE these!! i also do salted almonds and seaweed snacks...
    litoria wrote: »

Had a bunch with my lunch today! So good!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Quavers
    Walkers smoky bacon and cheese pops

Both under 90 calories for a multibag bag of 25g

• scootergirl110
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Quavers

Thank you!!
  • scootergirl110
    Options

I could, sure. But chips and me have a love-hate relationship if you know what I mean.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Quavers

How could I forget about quavers!
  • BelleCurves
    BelleCurves Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    PICKLES!!! The best!
  • scootergirl110
    Options
    Snacking is slowly killing our health. Braces would be such a great incentive to stick to regular meals.

Well they have kept me from eating various foods that I used to enjoy immensely. My teeth are fairly straight, but my bite is off and causing some problems. I am stuck with them for a couple of years.

About snacking - we can make healthy snack choices and still enjoy a bite here and there in between meals, no? With that said, back 6 years ago when I hit my own personal maximum density at 163lbs, and then decided to stop screwing around and get serious about my health and weight -- the one thing that *really* changed about my daily food intake was snacking. I snacked constantly before that! I started to either go without on some days, and also changed what I snacked on. The pounds melted off - I got down to 118 within a year.

I do get what you're saying, but in the end it's about making good choices as well as moderation, IMO.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

I could, sure. But chips and me have a love-hate relationship if you know what I mean.

I just have a love-love relationship with them. So I buy the small bags and have one every 2-3 days. At 150 cals, they satisfy that craving without killing my day. Much better than a family sized bag in 2 sittings.

I bought a tube of Pringles a week ago and am not halfway through it. One night I had half a serving, 8 chips, and was done.
  • aussieketogal
    aussieketogal Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I love dipping snow peas, capsicum and celery in my hummus. If I am after something really salty I may snack on a few olives too.