1500 - what do you eat to stay full?

Options
What's your food like eating 1200-1500 calories? In on 1800 currently and thinking of putting 1.5 lbs loss before Christmas. What do you eat each day to not be hungry and what meal do you eat most calories? Also do you exercise to go over?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I think you're going to find this to be quite variable...for some people dietary fat is more satiating...for others, protein...for people like me, it's complex carbohydrates from things like beans, lentils, potatoes, oats, etc...
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    When I was on 1,200-1,500, most of my meals centered around vegetables because I am a volume eater. I liked to have big bowls of lower calorie food with a bit of protein (beans or tofu, in my case) and some kind of sauce. I would have a big bowl of shredded cabbage, roasted broccoli/cauliflower, or chopped romaine. I also liked to have brothy soup with vegetables. I usually didn't snack because I preferred to have three bigger meals per day. My lunch would usually be the lightest meal of the day. I did eat back exercise calories -- 1/2 of them when I started and then all of them later when I got a Fitbit and synced it to my account.
  • ssslasher23
    ssslasher23 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I think you're going to find this to be quite variable...for some people dietary fat is more satiating...for others, protein...for people like me, it's complex carbohydrates from things like beans, lentils, potatoes, oats, etc...

This is so true. You'll need to experiment a little to find your balance. Good rule of thumb is to eat 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight. The rest of your calories go towards carbs and fats....I personally stay full longer on a high fat and low carb diet, while others prefer higher carb and lower fats.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    I find higher fat to be satiating for myself so I usually eat bacon and eggs for breakfast with a coffee and then I'm good for about 5-6 hours before I have my lunch. Lunch is generally a protein with veggies and then dinner is when I have my highest calorie meal. I like to make stir fries so I like to use veggies such as cabbage, broccoli, and Brussel sprouts with a meat and make a cream sauce with it.

You can adjust the volume amounts to fit your needs, but I generally net 1500-1600 calories a day.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    My goal is 1400 (plus, currently eating back some exercise calories now that I'm in a bulk) and I stay full all day long! The trick is eating small meals or snacks throughout the day. High protein or high fiber is key. I usually eat two protein bars a day, BCAA shake, protein shake or high protein meal (like can of tuna, chicken breast, eggs, etc.) and some other snacks like veggies, cottage cheese, yogurt or fruit. This includes my coffee as well! Crucial to getting me through the morning LOL
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,437 Member
    Options
    My goal is 1340. It's different for everyone. I like volume on some meals so I'm into eating lots of zucchini with butter & parmesan cheese with at least one meal. I eat at least one slice of bread & potato a day with my chicken,turkey or beef. I also make big pot of chicken soup with barly
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    If I wanted to limit my calories to 1500, I wouldn't change my breakfast or lunch. For dinner I'd make sure to get 3-4 oz of meat, 78 grams of beans, and a bunch of broccoli and carrots. or I'd adjust the size of my pizza dough ball or the amount of cheese I use on my pizza to make my dinner pizza fit my calorie target.
  • cocates
    cocates Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of all over the place.

As of late:
    - Breakfast: grits + chicken sausage
    - Lunch: 1/2 sweet potato + protein (ham) or leftovers (which are protein + veggie), mushroom quinoa + veggie (add this quinoa with broccoli and you'll stay super full), this week: crab soup (tons of protein and fat).
    - Dinner: protein + veggie + carb. Chicken / pork chops + meatballs or some sort of red meat + roasted veggie anything (I dn't like frozen veggies so I cook fresh) + pasta or couscous or roasted potatoes with olive oil.

Dinner is my biggest meal but probably because I always fit in an adult bevvy of some sort. :wink: -

HTH!
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    My goal is 1400 (plus, currently eating back some exercise calories now that I'm in a bulk) and I stay full all day long! The trick is eating small meals or snacks throughout the day. High protein or high fiber is key. I usually eat two protein bars a day, BCAA shake, protein shake or high protein meal (like can of tuna, chicken breast, eggs, etc.) and some other snacks like veggies, cottage cheese, yogurt or fruit. This includes my coffee as well! Crucial to getting me through the morning LOL

I'm on 1400 and the small meals thing is exactly the opposite for me. I'm starving all day if I do small meals, but I stay full with a small, protein-heavy breakfast and a bigger lunch and dinner. I do totally agree with the high protein and high fiber!

Breakfast: 250 cals
    Protein bar
    Fruit

Lunch: 550 cals
    Balanced meal of protein, veggies, and starch. If I do a lean meat, I'll use more fat like butter, olive oil, and cheese for cooking/dressing/topping. If it's a fattier meat, I cut back on the added fats. Some sample lunches:
    -Stir-fry over rice
    -Pasta with chicken, sundried tomatoes, spinach, and feta
    -Pork loin with green beans and a slice of bread
    -Turkey sandwich

Dinner: 450 cals
    Same concept as lunch but with less/no starch:
    -Three-bean salad
    -Steak and asparagus
    -Italian sausage, spinach, and tortellini soup

Treat: 150 cals
    Whatever I'm in the mood for.
    -Wine
    -Ice cream
    -Chocolate
    -Nothing, if I want to spend these calories on a bigger dinner
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    For me, I avoid too many carbs at a meal because that makes me want to eat a hole through the fridge. I find that for snacks or even as a part of a meal things like cottage cheese or cheese in general, grapes, or peanut butter are 3 of the things that seem to hold me down pretty good. Peanut butter especially when paired with an apple or something like that is very filling.
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    katiehepp1 wrote: »
    What's your food like eating 1200-1500 calories? In on 1800 currently and thinking of putting 1.5 lbs loss before Christmas. What do you eat each day to not be hungry and what meal do you eat most calories? Also do you exercise to go over?

I'm aiming for 1200 calories a day.

These foods keep me from feeling hungry:

Oatmeal (unsweetened) with sliced apple
    Lentils
    Steamed greens (collards and kale)
    Fresh vegetables (yellow squash, tomatoes, sweet potato, whatever I have around)
    Half an avocado

My breakfast has fewer calories than lunch and dinner, which are about the same.

I exercise for my health and sanity/peace of mind, not for calories to eat. I eat the calories back if I'm hungry, otherwise not. I burn about 400+ calories a day by walking twice a day.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

I'm on 1400 and the small meals thing is exactly the opposite for me. I'm starving all day if I do small meals, but I stay full with a small, protein-heavy breakfast and a bigger lunch and dinner. I do totally agree with the high protein and high fiber!

This is exactly the same for me, except I like a bit more at breakfast. I haven't done 1400 for a while (doing maintenance now and I tend to aim for 1500-1600 when cutting, that's including exercise upfront rather than adding exercise calories), but I did. Mine was:

Breakfast: 350 cals
    Vegetable omelet with something like 2 eggs, spinach, broccoli, + low fat cottage cheese or smoked salmon.

Lunch: 350-550 cals (quite a bit of variation here and at dinner -- I'd obviously balance the two, with bigger lunch/smaller dinner or vice versa)
    "Balanced meal of protein, veggies, and starch" -- yes, this, typically leftovers or something I'd make ahead for the week. I heat it up in the microwave at work.

Also this: "If I do a lean meat, I'll use more fat like butter, olive oil, and cheese for cooking/dressing/topping. If it's a fattier meat, I cut back on the added fats." This plus if I do a higher fat meat I might cut back on the starch and add more vegetables instead (acorn squash instead of sweet potatoes, for example).

I also will combine the protein/starch course and do a bean dish with lots of vegetables, as I find make-ahead lunches the easiest venue for bean dishes that take a while to make.

Dinner: 350-600 cals
    For me, same concept as lunch, period. If I need a lower cal dinner I'd cut back on starches, but I usually include them. I might have fruit instead, however (I see it as a substitute for a starch course although if I have enough calories I could have both).

Treat (when calories allow, depending on what I have left). What I'm in the mood for, most commonly:
    -Ice cream
    -Cheese
    -Fruit
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    my diary is open - if you look at my W or sunday logs they are 1600 cal days - that would easily be adjustable to 1500
  • bruckem
    bruckem Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Try this, I can barely finish it over the course of the day. I know I wouldn't get enough veggies without it and it is very filling!

I have a hard time packing away enough nutrient dense dark greens so this is my saviour!

Salad Smoothie

Makes about 6 cups
    I use organic

2 hearts of romaine lettuce (large) or two regular romaine lettuce, torn like a salad and then rinsed
    Put in blender

1 cup unsweetened almond milk
    Pour over lettuce in blender, with lid on blend at medium speed, leave blender on and add in,

3 tablespoons of raw hulled hemp seeds
    Continue blending, turning speed up, and
    Add

2.5 to 3 cups frozen copped mixed greens (like a chard, kale & spinach mix) one cup at a time.
    Make sure lid is very secure on blender and blast that sucker until totally smooth.

It's also nice with the juice of a lemon, fresh ginger or garlic.

Powerhouse! I'm on Keto so I also add 1 tbsp of coconut oil.

Ingredients:

Romaine lettuce
    Raw hulled hemp seeds
    Frozen chopped mixed greens
    Unsweetened almond milk

Optional but great: lemon, ginger and garlic