Do u gain allot of weight from being pregnant

Options

Replies

• Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I gained 52 total. I lost 30 lbs almost immediately after delivery as besides my 7 lb 4 oz baby I carried a lot of water. 10 lbs I walked & dieted off. The last 10 took a long time to get rid of. I wasn't as active because I had a tiny baby to care for. I did walk with her in the stroller a lot & eventually got back to my pre-pregnancy weight. But, I looked squishy. We moved to a new state & into the suburbs & I didn't walk as much. 15 crept back on. I got serious about my diet & workouts about 3 yrs post partum.
    I'm in better shape now than I was pre-preg but it took commitment.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    As others said, it varies by person. I gained a bit over 50 pounds but I was also on bed rest, on my left side, for about three months. I watched what I ate but had zero activity so it was tough. It came off quickly though.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP you should really speak with your doctor about a healthy amount of weight to gain and what sorts of foods you should be eating as well as making sure you are taking a prenatal vitamin/folic acid supplement.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    It depends on how much energy you take in (Calories In) v how much energy you expend (Calories Out). Growing a baby uses energy, but not as much as people think. You don't actually need to gain weight during pregnancy to have a healthy baby. Stick to maintenance calories during pregnancy and you'll be fine. That said, I have gained 12kg during this pregnancy and I'm now 30 weeks pregnant.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I don't think you would gain double with twins, as the babies themselves are born smaller than single births.
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    Options
    Every woman is different and every pregnancy is different. I've had three kids and gained exactly 27 pounds with each. But I admit this is probably just coincidence. During my first pregnancy I ate very healthily, but didn't do much in the way of exercise (I'd had a miscarriage previously, wand was afraid to do much more than walking). My second pregnancy, I was chasing around a toddler and had a variety of food aversions that made eating more difficult...still gained the same amount. My third pregnancy I worked out regularly right up to my due date, and gained the same 27 pounds again. I always lost a couple of pounds the week before I delivered...I think it was because I felt like there was just no room for food in my belly with those three big boys (not huge...but over 8 pounds, and I'm pretty small).

I never had any morning sickness, but among friends that did, some lost weight due to the nausea and vomiting (although most gained a normal amount by the end), but others gained more weight because they were constantly nibbling on crackers and such to keep the queasiness at bay.

Breastfeeding did help me lose weight pretty quickly...within a few months I was below my pre-pregnancy weight each time. I joked that I would nurse my boys until they left for college if it meant I could eat ice cream every night and not gain weight. But I have other friends whose bodies held onto those last few pounds until they finally weaned their babies.

I didn't look at pregnancy or the time I was nursing as a free pass to eat as much as I wanted...but I didn't count calories either. I tried to follow my body's cues. If I was craving Chick-fil-a lemonade, I'd get it. If the idea (not to mention the smell) of my normally beloved crab cakes turned my stomach, I'd avoid them. (I once made my family leave a restaurant because the smell of fish frying me want to barf). I missed wine and sushi, but still allowed myself a cup of coffee each morning (until an EKG detected a cardiac arrhythmia with my third son and the doctor suggested I might want to avoid caffeine).
  • HappyAnna2014
    HappyAnna2014 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    ilfaith wrote: »
    Every woman is different and every pregnancy is different. I've had three kids and gained exactly 27 pounds with each. But I admit this is probably just coincidence. During my first pregnancy I ate very healthily, but didn't do much in the way of exercise (I'd had a miscarriage previously, wand was afraid to do much more than walking). My second pregnancy, I was chasing around a toddler and had a variety of food aversions that made eating more difficult...still gained the same amount. My third pregnancy I worked out regularly right up to my due date, and gained the same 27 pounds again. I always lost a couple of pounds the week before I delivered...I think it was because I felt like there was just no room for food in my belly with those three big boys (not huge...but over 8 pounds, and I'm pretty small).

I never had any morning sickness, but among friends that did, some lost weight due to the nausea and vomiting (although most gained a normal amount by the end), but others gained more weight because they were constantly nibbling on crackers and such to keep the queasiness at bay.

Breastfeeding did help me lose weight pretty quickly...within a few months I was below my pre-pregnancy weight each time. I joked that I would nurse my boys until they left for college if it meant I could eat ice cream every night and not gain weight. But I have other friends whose bodies held onto those last few pounds until they finally weaned their babies.

I didn't look at pregnancy or the time I was nursing as a free pass to eat as much as I wanted...but I didn't count calories either. I tried to follow my body's cues. If I was craving Chick-fil-a lemonade, I'd get it. If the idea (not to mention the smell) of my normally beloved crab cakes turned my stomach, I'd avoid them. (I once made my family leave a restaurant because the smell of fish frying me want to barf). I missed wine and sushi, but still allowed myself a cup of coffee each morning (until an EKG detected a cardiac arrhythmia with my third son and the doctor suggested I might want to avoid caffeine).

My experience was like this...mostly. I had morning, noon, and night sickness during the first trimester. I was at a "normal" healthy BMI when my son was conceived, and I gained 36 lbs while pregnant. I wasn't worried about eating too much, but I was very concerned with getting all the proper nutrients while I was pregnant. I wanted to give my son the best start in life that I could. At the same time, never having been overweight, I didn't tend to overeat. My Ob/Gyn team monitored my weight throughout pregnancy. Within 6 weeks after his birth, I'd lost all but 3 lbs, and by the time he was 4 months old, I'd lost a total of 50 lbs. Again, I didn't diet, but since I was breastfeeding, I made sure I ate the proper nutrients and no toxins. I've always said I need to have another baby so I can lose weight...weight that I gained in my mid-thirties by eating too much and not moving enough. ;)
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    SDB210 wrote: »
    Everyone is different, and how much you gain is supposed to have something to do with your pre pregnancy weight and BMI. The higher the BMI the less you're 'supposed' to gain....

That's because some of the weight that you're supposed to gain (if you don't already have it) is enough bodyfat to support breastfeeding for a year. Heavier women tend to already have that and don't need to gain it. Light women need to gain it.

Even then, weight gain varies dramatically, and a lot of it isn't fat. Some women retain a lot of water. I gained 60 pounds with my first pregnancy (which is a *lot*; significantly more than any recommendation) then dropped 30 pounds in just over a week because my body was retaining *that much* water. So, really, I gained 45 pounds of "real" weight (including baby, placenta, fat, breasts, etc.) plus 15 pounds of water weight.
  • crazykatlady820
    crazykatlady820 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    It's really going to vary from woman to woman. It can even vary from pregnancy to pregnancy. While I gained 40 pounds for both of my pregnancies, half of that was gone within the first day or two (I also had huge babies- 9lb 13oz and the second was 10lbs) after having each of them. As for the rest of that weight...I breastfed with both of mine, and the first one the weight just flew off...the second one I never lost the extra 20 pounds or so.
  • MelonSodaz
    MelonSodaz Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My sis only gained 8lbs during her pregnancy and she lost in a few months, but she couldn't breastfeed which she was upset about but they have formular for that now so her baby was fine. I think it's something your shouldn't worry about too much as you can always lose the weight once the child is born. Best to talk to your GP.
  • emmam1212
    emmam1212 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I gained about 70 pounds with my twin pregnancy (pretty typical). I don't know if it's exactly double a singleton pregnancy but it's much more. I delivered 14lbs of babies... It didn't just fall off either. I'm still trying to get back to pre-pregnancy weight a few years after. I lost about 30lbs a month after by breastfeeding but it's been up and down for a long time.
  • emmam1212
    emmam1212 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I don't think you would gain double with twins, as the babies themselves are born smaller than single births.

That's a misconception. Twin babies are only born significantly smaller when born premature. My twins came at 37 weeks 1 day (38 weeks is considered full term for a twin pregnancy I believe) and they were born at 6.7 and 7.4. Normal size newborns. Some twins are unfortunately born premature and smaller but a lot of them aren't.
  • Kodekai1988
    Kodekai1988 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    It varies hugely - the women in my maternity class and all my friends have had very different experiences!

I gained 40lbs (ate healthily but no exercise apart from walking) and then lost 70lbs in 6 months from breastfeeding - I was a US size 2 at 5'10. But as soon as I stopped breastfeeding I gained 30lbs over about 3 months. My son's now 5 and I'd say I am very comparable to before. A tiny bit of loose skin on the stomach is all.

During pregnancy I think you just have to be as healthy as you can given your situation, and leave the rest up to the gods.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    The amount of "weight" you gain (for baby, increased blood volume, swelling, colostrum, breastmilk, a certain amount of fat stores to support breastfeeding, etc) depends on genetics, the pregnancy and the baby. This weight will absolutely double (or almost)with twins.

How fat you get, and how difficult it is to lose that weight (just like any other time) depends on how much you overeat and/or exercise.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    1st pregnancy I gained over 80 lbs....second pregnancy I only gained 25, but I hadn't even lost the first baby weight yet...lol.

It was worth it.
  • Eleniala
    Eleniala Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Every woman is different, and you should definitely discuss this with your doctor.

That being said, I don't think there is a need (much less an excuse) to gain a lot of weight during pregnancy. When I was pregnant was the first time in my life that I really focused on what I was putting into my body, and by trying to eat healthy I also cut out a lot of the high-calorie foods. I did not actually "gain" during pregnancy, and right after giving birth weighed about 20 pounds LESS than before I got pregnant. My doctor never had any concerns, and my daughter was born at 7lb 8oz and perfectly healthy. I nursed her for almost a full year without problems, and lost additional weight during that time. (It wasn't until years later that I started packing on some weight due to a stressful and mostly sedentary job).
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    With my first I was 4 pounds lighter before I delivered that when I got pregnant, I walked out of the hospital 20 pounds or so lighter then when I started the pregnancy. With my second I was 10 pounds heavier before I delivered then when I started and walked out of the hospital 15 pounds lighter. I was on a 2800 calorie a day diet with both pregnancies. It al depends of a number of things. I was overweight to begin with although not as heavy as when I started this diet, had gestational diabetes with my first. Followed a diabetic diet both times. Didn't eat a lot of junk either time.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    Options
    I agree...i took being pregnant as a "free meal ticket" for Lack of better words! I ate healthy foods, but LARGE portions....

Gisel2015 wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »
    I'm 26 weeks and so far have only gained 8 lbs. according to my midwife and doctor, the amount you should gain depends on your weight before becoming pregnant. Since I was obese (250) when I got pregnant, thebgoal for me is between 11-20 lbs, which I'm not finding difficult at all since less room in stomach as baby grows.

This must be a new thing because when I got pregnant (many years ago...), I was 102lbs and when I walked in the hospital I was almost 121lbs and 109lb when I left the hospital. My first baby was eight and half lbs.

By the end of my first trimester and due to awful morning sickness, I was under 100lbs so the doctor guided me to recuperate the weight lost and kept a watchful eye on how much I gained during the rest of the pregnancy. I had my second baby less than a year later >:), my pregnancy was better and I only gained 15lbs. This baby was smaller because I was induced.

I noticed that now most of moms-to-be gain a lot of weight during their pregnancies and doctors don't seem to worry about it. What has changed? Because reading some of the comments in MFP they all have a hard time getting back to a normal weight and I don't remember me or my friends (all grandmoms now), having the same problem.

Ya, that was my sister with her first pregnancy. She was more restrained during her second and gained half the weight that time.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    Options
    Does most of weight come off after u have the. baby and if u don't breast feed is it harder to lose weight ..also how much do u gain during pregnancy and would u gain double if u have twins? Sorry I really have no idea

If you are a normal weight to start, and gain a normal amount during the pregnancy, you will likely lose most of it quickly.

However, as others have said, this is a question best asked of your OB/GYN. Perhaps a referral to a dietitian would be helpful for you.

http://www.webmd.com/baby/guide/healthy-weight-gain#1

...Though you do need some extra calories, it's not necessary to ''eat for two.'' The average pregnant woman needs only about 300 healthy calories more a day than she did before she was pregnant. This will help her gain the right amount of weight during pregnancy.

Ask your health care provider how much weight you should gain. A woman who was average weight before getting pregnant should gain 25 to 35 pounds after becoming pregnant. Underweight women should gain 28 to 40 pounds. And overweight women may need to gain only 15 to 25 pounds during pregnancy.
  • akmomof7
    akmomof7 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Twin pregnancies definitely don't mean twice the weight. I gained 42 with my twins and they were nice sized (6 lb 6oz and 5lb 14 oz.) I found it harder to eat with my twins because they took up so much room!