My Couch 2 5K Experience

Options
If you're serious about wanting to start running but you don't know where to start here is a blog that I just wrote about the Couch 2 5K app from Bluefin Software. Running, combined with a healthy diet, can catapult your weight loss into a whole new world. So if you think you'd like to try running please read this.

Couch to 5KActually, it's chair to 5K for me
Mark D. Rucker: My Couch to 5K Experience Success Story
1 Comment Posted by Tanya on July 15, 2011
On July 4th, I ran a 5K.

For many people that is really no big deal. But for me, it was an achievement beyond compare and was the culmination of several months of hard work and dedication.

In February of this year, I weighed in at 365 pounds. Over the past 17 years since graduating from law school I had managed to slowly pack on 160 pounds through bad eating habits and lack of exercise. Yes. I said 160 pounds. Although I was 6’2” the weight was beginning to take its toll on me physically and mentally. I had developed sleep apnea, had high blood pressure (Stage II Hypertension), and was borderline diabetic. At the age of 42 I knew that if I didn’t do something to change my life then I would most likely not live to see 50 years. The knowledge of that fact depressed me beyond belief. So on February 7th, I decided that it was time to make a change.

I began with small steps. I cut out soft drinks. I also cut out all refined sugar as well as breads and pastas. I began eating whole foods. Over the course of the next several weeks I continued to make small changes to my diet, like cutting out salad dressings, switching from roasted and salted almonds to whole almonds, and restricting my alcohol intake. I also dramatically increased my water intake. After about a month and a half of the changes I felt so much better. But I knew that healthy eating was only part of the picture. I knew that I needed to exercise.

In mid March, I began walking. Very slowly at first. Just around my neighborhood and on my lunch breaks. Over the next few weeks I got faster and went farther. And then I decided, after losing about 30 pounds, that I wanted to run. I hadn’t been able to run since I was in law school which was 17 years ago. I loved to run and I missed that feeling of accomplishment I would always feel after finishing a run.

I began to look at programs to help beginning runners. After doing my research I was convinced that the Couch to 5K app from Bluefin Software was the best choice and on April 18th I began my journey to become a runner again.

I remember the first day vividly.

I went to a local paved trail where I knew there wouldn’t be many people. I thought to myself how embarrassing it would be for me to run at such a weight.

And what if I wasn’t able to even do the 60 second intervals? I would feel like such a failure and wouldn’t want anyone to see me as I stumbled along. But I did it. 60 seconds of running with 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes.

The sense of accomplishment was overwhelming.

Someone had said to me earlier that day that the journey of 1000 miles begins with one step. When I had finished Week 1 Day 1, I had done 2 miles and I remembered thinking to myself “only 998 more miles to go!”

After that first day I was on fire to complete the program. I followed the program to the “t”. The in-program prompts made it so easy to use my iPhone when I did each day’s workout. I didn’t have to fool with continually watching the screen. The app would tell me when to walk and when to run. And I loved the fact that I could import my music into the app and control it all from the home screen.

I continued to work my way through the program and I successfully finished it on June 19th. I never once walked when I was supposed to run and I can’t begin to even explain the sense of pride and accomplishment that I felt. I remember completing Week 9, Day 3 and as the final seconds ticked away, I found myself in a very “Rocky-esque” type running form.

My hands were in the air and I was bouncing around like I was the heavyweight champ of the world.

I guess it’s fortunate for me that no one else was around. But to be honest, I didn’t care.

I had gone from a couch potato to a 5K runner!

I find it fun now to go back and read the notes that I wrote in the journal that is included with the app.

The journal allows you to track how you felt, what the weather was like that day, where you ran, and to also to post notes about how you felt. It is so awesome to be able to go back and literally read my progression through the 9 weeks.

It also tracks your walk pace, your run pace, and your total distance so I could always go back and see how much my pace was improving. Did I mention how much I love this app?

And the best part for me, since I’m such a social networking type of person, was that I could sync all of my workouts directly to Facebook and Twitter. I’m sure my friends got tired of reading about all of my workouts.

The funny thing is that I’ve actually had several friends contact me privately about the program and I recommend it to them whole-heartedly.

I have now moved on to the Bridge to 10K app by Bluefin Software and I am now halfway through that program. I will be running my first 10K on July 30th and I am very excited about that.

I have also signed up for my first half marathon on October 23rd and I’ve already downloaded Bluefin’s Hal Higdon Half Marathon training app. I will begin that program on August 1st and will conclude the training on my race day.

And I have to admit that I already downloaded the brand new Hal Higdon Full Marathon training app from Bluefin just in case the half doesn’t cure this neverending desire that I now have to run. I haven’t signed up for a full marathon yet but assuming that things go as planned I hope to compete in one in April 2012. I know that with my apps from Bluefin Software all of the necessary training components are there. The rest is up to me.

On July 4th, I ran my first 5K in 17 years. For many people that is really no big deal. For me, it’s the beginning of a brand new life. A life filled with health, fitness and happiness. If you’re thinking about starting to run I can tell you, without a moment of hesitation, that the Couch to 5K app from Bluefin is the best way to start.

You can do it and Bluefin provides you with the tools to help you accomplish your dreams.

The rest is up to you! Dream BIG but start small!

C25K, Hal Higdon Marathon Training Program, iPhone App, Success Stories

Replies

• chattychick
    chattychick Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Great job! I am so proud that you got out there and did it! I highly recommend couch to 5k as well!
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Great story! I'm a C25K grad from last fall! Congrats on the success and God bless on bigger and better things!
  • jezzi4ever
    jezzi4ever Posts: 100
    Options
    That's fantastic!! I just completed week 5, and did the first big "20 minute run" yesterday.

Congrats on your success and good luck with the b210k!
  • kristy_estes21
    kristy_estes21 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!! I completed week 3, day 2 yesterday. I've worked out for years, but have never been a good runner. I'm working on it! Thank you for the inspiration!
  • kalcide
    kalcide Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Well done to you!!!

what an inspiring story.

its good to hear that this program has led you to do such huger runs!!

Im currently on the C25k program, hoping to complete week 3 tonight.

I dont complete the journals, about how i feel. maybe i should, that way when it gets bad i can look back and see how i used to feel.??

I envy runners/joggers and have always wished i could join them.
  • skatw
    skatw Posts: 28
    Options
    Even without all of the technology, the Couch 2 5K program is GREAT! I highly recommend in to anyone. I got online and printed the program on paper and just started doing what it said, and used my watch to time myself. Sometimes I had to repeat a week, but I still did it. I had NEVER been a runner in my life. I can remember in school thinking that having to run one lap around the track was crazy! Things have changed. Yesterday I ran 4 miles, nonstop, in the rain! It was great and I felt so blessed that I am now able to do it! I never thought is was possible. So all of you that think you could never run, you need to forget that mindset and get out there and do it! It is TOTALLY achievable!
  • GoldenGirl1979
    GoldenGirl1979 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    bump... definitely want to read later... i'm finishing week 2 today!! congrats to you
  • ozycat
    ozycat Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    That's inspirational! Really amazing!!
  • atlraine
    atlraine Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Inspiring!!! I am meeting some fellow MFP friends on Sunday to start our running journey. After reading your blog I am motivated. Thanks for sharing and a BIG CONGRATS TO YOU!!!
  • jimmyz19
    jimmyz19 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Great job!!!! Thanks for sharing.
  • OneBryteSmile
    OneBryteSmile Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    That was truly inspiring to read and congratulations on all that you have accomplished. I'm on Week 3 of the program and I have fallen in love with running. I'm running my first 5K in September.

Thanks for sharing your story.
  • OneFitMom_
    OneFitMom_ Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    This post brought tears to my eyes! The best post EVER on here! Congratulations to you on your awesome journey. I'm on week 6 of C25K..........I love it! Hoping to run a half by next Spring. Best of luck to you!!!
  • MarkTheBeastR
    MarkTheBeastR Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thank you guys for the outpouring of support and encouragement. I really appreciate it. Congrats to all of you who are on the program as well and to all of you who have completed it. It has laid a foundation for me upon which I hope to contunue to build for many, many years to come. Thank you again.