Need some diet ideas

Options
I was looking at my nutrional info. this morning and noticed that my sodium levels are a bit too high, which is leaving me a little confused. I don't eat much bread or processed meat (maybe one sandwich a day) and the things that I do consider to be a healthy alternative choice (baked beans or rice) have higher levels than I thought. I eat fruit, fiber bars, yogurt, or chocolate covered almonds, peanuts, or plums for snacks. I would like to eat more vegetables, but my family doesn't enjoy them as much as I do. Any ideas to keep the sodium in check?

Replies

• SpaceMarkus
    SpaceMarkus Posts: 651
    Options
    Sodium is one of those sneaky little *kitten* unfortunately. It's VERY hard to do since it's in everything. And not just a little, but usually an obscene amount.

My best advice is to read the label. If you're getting close to your sodium limit, make a smaller portion to try and cut the sodium. Then add something low sodium in to balance your calories, carbs, and fat :)
  • madforplaid
    madforplaid Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It does sound like you are doing the right thing. I wonder if maybe you just need more water to help flush out the sodium throughout the day? Honestly, I've no idea if this works, or is just an old wife's tale, but my sister has dangerously low sodium and it was suggested to her that she stop drinking so much water during the day (she was quite anal about getting in no less than 70 oz a day, and she isn't a larger person).

I found this website that might help as well: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/low-sodium-recipes/RE00101 I love Mayo Clinics cookbooks (tasty and nutricious) so this may help - maybe even get the family to eat more veggies with you.
  • TSimpson5
    TSimpson5 Posts: 6
    Options
    SpaceMarkus, thanks for the advice. You're right, it is a sneaky little *kitten*! I've been doing a good job of staying away from the fast food, but there are times when I'm out & I have to eat something. Thought I'd have a sub w/o all the mayo & other dressings the other day, and it had over 1,000 mg of sodium! It just looks like I'll have to load up on cucumbers, carrots, and plum tomatoes when I feel the need to eat. The problem is, I burn that stuff off pretty fast at work (on my feet most of the time), and I don't have the time to keep running back to fill up.
  • allison_joan
    allison_joan Posts: 115
    Options
    I can never seem to stay below my sodium levels either! However, I've realized drinking only water throughout the day really helps to cut some sodium out. I used to drink Diet Coke, Powerade 0, etc. They were 0 calorie and 0 sugar drinks but the sodium was like 180 mg a serving which can really add up after a few glasses. Also, if I go over on sodium I try to make a mental note to drink more than 8 cups of water that day to try and help flush out some of that extra sodium!
  • sh0ck
    sh0ck Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I can't look at your diary but as has already been said, sodium can be pretty sneaky.

I too have trouble with my sodium intake so I do my best to 1) prepare my own foods/meals if possible, 2) stay away from commonly HIGH SODIUM foods (deli meats are notoriously high in sodium), and 3) attempt to eat a lot more POTASSIUM than I used to (I have read that potassium is supposed to counter-balance sodium however I would recommend googling it before you quote me on it).

There are some days that you just won't be able to stay under (especially if you are eating out pretty much anywhere). Just keep at it and try your best to pay attention to the labels of things at the store. A lot of things have "low sodium" or "less sodium" options available.
  • cupotee
    cupotee Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I feel that a lot of processed foods (frozen meals, lunchmeat, snacks, stuff that comes canned) has a lot of salt. Maybe try cooking at home more?

Its okay to eat over your salt limit if you compensate with water. just drink until you pee clear :)