Old Scale, recommendations for type/brand of new scale

Options
So the scale I have I inherited from my grandma. I think its from the 1960's. It seems to be in the ballpark of accuracy based putting a dumbbell on it. But it fluctuates up to +/-5lbs when you stand on it and lean forward to look down. Its really tough to get a reading on it, I have no idea what I weigh.

Being its Christmas time, I could ask Santa to get me a good scale for the holiday. Does anyone have a recommendation for a scale that they prefer?

Replies

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I've been looking at smart scales, and come up short. If I had a Fitbit (they don't work for me as I need waterproof), I'd look at their scale, but the Garmin has connection issues and the Polar apparently has trouble connecting to MFP. So I don't have a smart scale yet.

I do have a Weight Watcher scale and it is annoying. You can see my dumb question about it,
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10485204/dumb-scale-question-weight-watchers-scale#latest

In short, it lies to me to keep from doing the fluctuations. So I have to step on it holding a weight to reset it so I can step on it at get my actual weight. Seems to be somewhat common with digital scales.

So, I'd pretty much grab an inexpensive digital scale, understand that it isn't 100% accurate, test to see if it lies like mine and ignore the extra functions that they try to sell you (body fat% etc.) as they are not accurate enough at that to be worth the extra money.
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I have a Aria which connects with my fitbit and mfp. I weigh everyday so I can see how my weight fluctuates each day and I can't lie to myself cause its right there on mfp, lol. I prefer the electronic scale now to the conventional. But really the old 1960 scales are fine, just as long as you keep them on a flat surface where you don't move them around.
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I have an Escali B180RC. It's not incredibly fancy, but it does what I need it to do.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    This isn't anything fancy, but I've found it to be dead accurate, getting similar readings to doctor's offices.
  • eeede
    eeede Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I like the aria scale from fitbit.
    I dont have a fitbit yet but the app is cool and There is no fluctuations.
  • myfightsong88
    myfightsong88 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I just have a basic digital Taylor scale. It does what it needs to. I have a FitBit but haven't shelled out the money for their scale yet (although I want to).
  • rosey0104
    rosey0104 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I also adore my Fitbit Aria, I keep it in my bathroom by the shower so it has gotten some serious water on it and no damage yet, fingers crossed, as I bathe my dogs quite often and there has been some considerable soaked floors. I actually got my Aria before my Fitbit and I do enjoy the multiple person tracking and fat %.
  • festerw
    festerw Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I've got a Withings WS-30 it's fairly accurate, doesn't fluctuate if you step off then back on and automatically syncs with MFP.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    festerw wrote: »
    I've got a Withings WS-30 it's fairly accurate, doesn't fluctuate if you step off then back on and automatically syncs with MFP.

I have the Withings WS-50 and am happy with its accuracy and consistency. Syncs to MFP, Garmin Connect and several other services. I pretty much just ignore the BF% reading, since BIA (on any scale) is not an accurate method of measuring bodyfat percentage.
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I have a Weight Gurus smart scale and I love it. It's more consistent and accurate than any other I've had. The app is easy to use and I love the "Weigh In Streak". It's like the log in streak on MFP but with weight. It was less expensive than the other smart scales as well
  • Wkelkel
    Wkelkel Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Bit of a curveball with this

Runtastic libra!

I've used the garmin ws50 and the fitbit aria. Both became defective eventually.

The runtastic scale is cheaper, accurate reading both consistant weight readings and the most reasonable on fat readings compared.

Works on bluetooth too, which is a plus imo.

Syncs to mfp and you can get their setup and pushup apps going and syncing too!

And its cheaper

No regrets with my purchase
  • mysticlizard
    mysticlizard Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F3J9G1W/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3SGG5G3RZ4ETU&coliid=I2I69U9O8NVH9Z

This is the scale I have and it accurate compared with the scale in my doctor's office.