Smoothie question

Options
So I have to find something I can eat for breakfast that's healthy but also very portable as I have to leave for work at 4:45 am. I found a high protein/high fiber smoothie recipe but my question is, can I make it the night before and refrigerate or freeze it right away without losing all the great nutrients? Otherwise, I'd have to make it at like 4:30 in the morning and if I run my vitamix, my entire household will wake up!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Sandwich.
    Yogurt.
    Can of tuna.
    Apple.
    Carrot.
    All quiet, healthy and portable.
  • momar74
    momar74 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Make a big batch and freeze in to-go cups, that way you can grab and go in the morning, especially when you are running late. Also, make the night before the nutrient loss will be minimal. Either way, you don't wake up the house.
  • BLee724
    BLee724 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Ugh smoothie doesn't store well overnight imo
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    ^^^ I agree. Whenever I tried storing one, the next day I always turned my nose up at it.
  • annadnaluom
    annadnaluom Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If you buy a blender bottle you'll definitely be able to drink it the next day. Blender bottles are just water bottles with a little spiral ball inside to properly mix your smoothie and get the consistency back, available pretty much anywhere from what I've seen. It's a great investment. You shouldn't freeze your smoothie, just put it in the fridge. Also if you consider the fact that frozen fruit used for smoothies are still very high in nutrients, any nutrient loss from overnight refrigeration will be minimal. Hope I helped(:
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i think anything containing the kind of fruit that goes brown on air exposure (apples, banana, avocado) might get a bit gross. i've also found that any time i add flax or hemp seed to my smoothies, i have to get them down fast before they start growing a bad bitter taste - i assume from the oils in the seeds being exposed to the air.

with that out of the way, mine are usually just yogurt/berries and water with protein powder and those seem to be fine. the only part of my smoothies that really needs blitzing is the fruit, so that could be done beforehand with the water and/or the yogurt. then you'd just need to add whatever else you wanted to put into it and shake manually.

another option is to blitz a whole blender full of the fruit/veggie part and freeze that in ice cube trays. i've done that with yogurt and found that it works out quite well if i stack my bottle with cubes at bedtime and let it wait in the fridge for me to wake up and finish the job.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Sloth2016 wrote: »
    ^^^ I agree. Whenever I tried storing one, the next day I always turned my nose up at it.

Yep, it didn't taste the same and turned an off brown colour. I do add avocado and banana to mine, which were likely the culprits.
  • BLee724
    BLee724 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Alright so what I'm thinking about doing is taking a little bit of advice from all of you guys. I have like 8 blender bottles lol so I'll blend the spinach, fruit, almond milk and peanut butter tonight and put it in the blender bottle in the fridge and I'll add the ground flax seed, cinnamon and protein powder in the morning and shake manually! That should be ok right?!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    sounds good. cinnamon is something i don't play with much, but i know that whenever i sprinkle it in coffee it turns really weirdly stringy . . . actually that's a polite way of saying it turns into mucus.

so yeah. definitely going to advocate adding that late.
  • ToxDocAR
    ToxDocAR Posts: 49 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    egg muffins with jimmy dean turkey sausage crumbles, some veggies (mushrooms, sauteed onion/garlic, or spinach, tomato etc). Just make sure you have a really high quality nonstick muffin tin.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    You could always make overnight oats. If you find it's too thick to eat easily, make it a little runnier, so you could drink it. Or, if you don't want to make it runnier originally, make it normally, but add stir some water/milk into it in the morning.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Ugh smoothie doesn't store well overnight imo

I second this...
  • jerb00
    jerb00 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    BLee724 wrote: »
    So I have to find something I can eat for breakfast that's healthy but also very portable as I have to leave for work at 4:45 am. I found a high protein/high fiber smoothie recipe but my question is, can I make it the night before and refrigerate or freeze it right away without losing all the great nutrients? Otherwise, I'd have to make it at like 4:30 in the morning and if I run my vitamix, my entire household will wake up!

I make smoothies for the week for myself an my husband every Sunday. So, we have 10 smoothies in the fridge Sunday night for use every day. They are completely fine. Don't care about minimal nutrient loss if it means mornings are easier
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I often make two servings of a smoothie at a time and have one right away and the other the next day. Obviously I have no way of knowing if there is any nutritional loss overnight, but they taste fine.