Help! Need a new mindset

Options
Nightsongx
Nightsongx Posts: 4 Member
edited December 2016 in Motivation and Support
Six months ago I joined this site, started dieting, and lost 7 pounds, but it wasn't in a healthy way. I restricted my calories way too much and now for the past few months I've been stuck in this "binge, restrict, repeat" kind of cycle. I'm so so tired of this. I NEED to get out of this mindset, because I know it's unhealthy for me. I haven't gained any weight back but it kills me mentally. Please help me-- I just want to be healthy.

Replies

• annadnaluom
    annadnaluom Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hey, sounds like you and I are basically in the exact same situation!
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    Would you like someone to slap you? ;)

Honestly, we can offer support but we can't motivate you to change your mindset - you're the only one who can do that. Do your best to take control of your thinking and get back onto a healthy track. Set up your profile properly, choose a healthy goal (say 0.5 - 1lb per week, depending on how much you have to lose), and eat the amount of calories MFP gives you. Don't beat yourself up and go on a week-long binge if you overeat one day, just get back on track the next. Allow yourself to have the kind of food you like to eat, so that you don't feel deprived and miserable, just have a portion that you can fit into your daily goals. Avoid an all-or-nothing mindset if you can!

Try to remember that your excess weight didn't appear overnight and it's not going to go away that fast. You need to find a way of controlling your portion sizes so that you're eating in a healthy and sustainable way that you can keep up once you reach your goal weight. Don't think about this as "a diet" with an end date when you can go back to "eating normally" - you need to establish a new "normal" to keep your weight stable.

You know that what you're doing is unhealthy, so at least you do realise that and want to change it. If, after a while, you still struggle with this yourself and feel you need more help, try to find some counseling or support to help you get out of this cycle you're stuck in. Your body may be coping okay for now because you're young, but you might find that your current behaviour causes health issues down the road so you need to get this sorted out.

Read these helpful posts for more help and advice, and trust the process. It really does work, if you give it time and patience.

Good luck, and lots of hugs! You can do this!
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    Would you like someone to slap you? ;)

Honestly, we can offer support but we can't motivate you to change your mindset - you're the only one who can do that. Do your best to take control of your thinking and get back onto a healthy track. Set up your profile properly, choose a healthy goal (say 0.5 - 1lb per week, depending on how much you have to lose), and eat the amount of calories MFP gives you. Don't beat yourself up and go on a week-long binge if you overeat one day, just get back on track the next. Allow yourself to have the kind of food you like to eat, so that you don't feel deprived and miserable, just have a portion that you can fit into your daily goals. Avoid an all-or-nothing mindset if you can!

Try to remember that your excess weight didn't appear overnight and it's not going to go away that fast. You need to find a way of controlling your portion sizes so that you're eating in a healthy and sustainable way that you can keep up once you reach your goal weight. Don't think about this as "a diet" with an end date when you can go back to "eating normally" - you need to establish a new "normal" to keep your weight stable.

You know that what you're doing is unhealthy, so at least you do realise that and want to change it. If, after a while, you still struggle with this yourself and feel you need more help, try to find some counseling or support to help you get out of this cycle you're stuck in. Your body may be coping okay for now because you're young, but you might find that your current behaviour causes health issues down the road so you need to get this sorted out.

Read these helpful posts for more help and advice, and trust the process. It really does work, if you give it time and patience.

Good luck, and lots of hugs! You can do this!

All of what she said. :)
  • Nightsongx
    Nightsongx Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your helpful advice! Yes, I just really need to kick myself out of this mindset. Unfortunately, my depression and anxiety have not made things easy on me. I only want to drop 10 pounds, and I think I'll just feel so much better and more confident about myself. It's not helping that my self-esteem is practically rock bottom. I've never been overweight, but I've also never considered myself good-looking. I wish I had never fallen into this negative, eating disorder-like mindset, because I'm almost sure that once I get out of it, the pounds will drop off just like that!
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Its pretty simple- just adjust your calorie goal. Reset your goals & settings with your current stats and a 0.5 to 1 lb per week loss rate (no more than that!!!). Your calories should come out to a manageable level that will keep you full enough while still losing weight.

Binges as a result of overly restrictive calories are inevitable. Set yourself up for success instead of failure. Slow healthy weight loss instead of binge/restrict. It's not that hard, and you're the one doing this to yourself, so you have the power to stop whenever you want.
  • Cylphin60
    Options
    Nightsongx wrote: »
    Thank you so much for your helpful advice! Yes, I just really need to kick myself out of this mindset. Unfortunately, my depression and anxiety have not made things easy on me. I only want to drop 10 pounds, and I think I'll just feel so much better and more confident about myself. It's not helping that my self-esteem is practically rock bottom. I've never been overweight, but I've also never considered myself good-looking. I wish I had never fallen into this negative, eating disorder-like mindset, because I'm almost sure that once I get out of it, the pounds will drop off just like that!

Maybe it's just me, but I've never been able to simply think myself out of a rut. I've sure acted on getting out of them though. Weight loss wise we aren't far apart, where I started and where you are, and I'll bet you two good cups of coffee that I'm funnier looking. :#

Set small goals, really small if need be, like making through breakfast in under, say, 350 Calories. Then through lunch, dinner etc. The hours will string into days and the weight will come off, a little at a time.

And do something good for yourself. :)
  • SueSueDio
    Options

I'm sorry to hear that. Do please bear in mind that losing weight won't automatically make you 'happy', but if it changes the way you feel about yourself then the increased self-confidence CAN make a big difference to your life in general.

Are you having any kind of therapy for your depression and anxiety? If so, please consider talking through this with your therapist. In light of what you've said here, I agree with @Cylphin60 that it's really hard to just "think yourself out of it" when you're depressed... I'm suffering a bit myself at the moment, and was really surprised at how difficult it is to just DO things that I know, logically, are helpful and sensible. Allowing myself to spend time with activities that I find enjoyable, without any guilt attached for not doing something "useful" instead, has been very helpful for me.

If you can find ways to do something like this, or to set yourself very small goals as suggested above, perhaps it might help a little? But some outside help might be needed, in your situation. I know that I couldn't understand why, as a reasonably intelligent adult, I couldn't just "pull myself together" and get on with the things I knew I should be doing. Why is even the smallest thing so difficult at times? Having someone to talk to about these feelings has done me some good, I think, even though I'm still struggling.

I do wish you all the best!

• Cylphin60
    Options

I'm sorry to hear that. Do please bear in mind that losing weight won't automatically make you 'happy', but if it changes the way you feel about yourself then the increased self-confidence CAN make a big difference to your life in general.

Are you having any kind of therapy for your depression and anxiety? If so, please consider talking through this with your therapist. In light of what you've said here, I agree with @Cylphin60 that it's really hard to just "think yourself out of it" when you're depressed... I'm suffering a bit myself at the moment, and was really surprised at how difficult it is to just DO things that I know, logically, are helpful and sensible. Allowing myself to spend time with activities that I find enjoyable, without any guilt attached for not doing something "useful" instead, has been very helpful for me.

If you can find ways to do something like this, or to set yourself very small goals as suggested above, perhaps it might help a little? But some outside help might be needed, in your situation. I know that I couldn't understand why, as a reasonably intelligent adult, I couldn't just "pull myself together" and get on with the things I knew I should be doing. Why is even the smallest thing so difficult at times? Having someone to talk to about these feelings has done me some good, I think, even though I'm still struggling.

@SueSueDio Well said, and you hang in there too. :)
  • SueSueDio
    Options
    Cylphin60 wrote: »

Aww, thank you! Doing my best...
  • Cylphin60
    Options
    Cylphin60 wrote: »

Aww, thank you! Doing my best...

:) me too - One day at a time.