Weird numbers.

the past two weeks, even though my weekly calorie average is under my goal, i've had small weight gains. last week: 300 gram gain, slight body fat percentage gain, hip decrease, waist held.
this week: 200 gram gain, body fat percentage held, hip decrease, waist held.

given that my calorie intake goal is designed for a 1kg weight loss a week, i'm not really sure what happened. any ideas? i've briefly wondered if my scales need new batteries, but i'm generally just confused by this.

Replies

• Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    weight fluctuates. and how are you measuring your body fat??
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Those aren't weird numbers at all. Those are completely normal, very small fluctuations in weight
  • desikitteh
    desikitteh Posts: 12 Member

my scales do it.
    alyssa0061 wrote: »
    Those aren't weird numbers at all. Those are completely normal, very small fluctuations in weight

They're weird because my weight is consistently going the wrong way.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,467 Member
    What time of day do you weigh yourself?

What do you do the day before you have weighed yourself?
  • desikitteh
    Machka9 wrote: »
    What time of day do you weigh yourself?

always in the morning before eating, but after using the toilet.
    What do you do the day before you have weighed yourself?

i'm not sure what you mean.

• Machka9
    If you exercise heavily, or eat salty food, or drink a lot of water the day before ... you might be retaining water.

Are you weighing every day or occasionally?

By weighing every day, I see all the little fluctuations and know why they are there.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    desikitteh wrote: »
    the past two weeks, even though my weekly calorie average is under my goal, i've had small weight gains. last week: 300 gram gain, slight body fat percentage gain, hip decrease, waist held.
    this week: 200 gram gain, body fat percentage held, hip decrease, waist held.

given that my calorie intake goal is designed for a 1kg weight loss a week, i'm not really sure what happened. any ideas? i've briefly wondered if my scales need new batteries, but i'm generally just confused by this.

Weight loss is not linear. It will go up and down. With that in mind, 300 grams, unless you are using a calibrated scale that is legal for trade, could simply be within the error margin of the scale. If your bodyfat is measured by the scale it is pretty much a meaningless number as they are very inaccurate for bodyfat.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited December 2016
    Normally I would suggest weighing every day and using a weight averaging app like Libra or happy scale so that you can see the crazy fluctuations your body goes through and learn not to take it seriously, but I get the impression that you might still take it very seriously.

I often retain water during pms and ovulation, after salty food, or a great work out. The size of bowel movements as well as how often you urinate affect any given weigh in as does the speed (or lack thereof) of the food's digestion. You know your numbers, they will straighten themselves out soon.

Just keep swimming swimming swimming~Dory
  • desikitteh
    If you exercise heavily, or eat salty food, or drink a lot of water the day before ... you might be retaining water.

By weighing every day, I see all the little fluctuations and know why they are there.

i weigh myself weekly.
  • desikitteh
    Weight loss is not linear. It will go up and down. With that in mind, 300 grams, unless you are using a calibrated scale that is legal for trade, could simply be within the error margin of the scale. If your bodyfat is measured by the scale it is pretty much a meaningless number as they are very inaccurate for bodyfat.

this is a gain when my intake should lead to a ~1kg *loss*
  • Machka9

i weigh myself weekly.

Maybe try weighing yourself daily to see if there are any patterns.

• ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited December 2016

this is a gain when my intake should lead to a ~1kg *loss*

Water retention is a thing. It will straighten itself out. Calm down and just keep going.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member

my scales do it.
    alyssa0061 wrote: »

They're weird because my weight is consistently going the wrong way.

scales are completely inaccurate for bodyfat measurements - so you can stop worrying about that one at least!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    If your weight is consistently going up for 3-4 weeks, you are eating too much. Often that is because of not measuring carefully enough, not using proper database entries, or over estimation of calories burned through exercise.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    It is water weight, if you're in a deficit you will lose weight. Oh and ignore the bodyfat measurement as it is inaccurate.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    You say your hip measurement is going down, waist is staying the same, and having small increase in weight for the past 2 weeks? And you are eating within your calorie goal? This leads me to think what could be happening is you have water retention or bloating. If you were gaining fat your hip measurement would increase and waist would too. I think you are just bloated which is why your waist measurement is not decreasing along with your hip measurement (bloating happens most in the belly region), and water retention is masking your weight loss. Give it another couple of weeks and see what happens. In the mean time try to drink plenty of water to flush out the bloat, avoid high sodium foods or any foods which you may have sensitivities or slight allergies to (for me this would mean avoid alcohol and gluten, but that's what I'm specifically sensitive to). It could be hormones too, most women bloat before their periods and around the time of ovulation.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,115 Member
    If you weigh weekly then water weight fluctuations can mask loss or even make it look like you gained one week when you are still trending down. That is one of the main reasons I like to weigh daily. But some people can't deal with the daily fluctuations. It really is personal preference. You might try daily weighing for a few weeks and see how that goes.
  • desikitteh
    i think i might have solved it... i said earlier that i thought my bathroom scales might have needed new batteries... so i replaced batteries in both scales (bathroom and kitchen) then i weighed my handbag on both. kitchen scales showed a significantly lower number... looks like they need replacing. :( i've been unknowingly overeating. thanks to everyone who commented and lead me to discovering this.