Is this a good weight loss plan?

Options
Hi! I'm 5'10 and weigh 224 and want to lose some weight. I have done some research into what I should do regarding diets and what exercises I do. My plan is to do the 1200 calories a day diet and do a burpee workout one day and run or do a hiit sprint workout the other day and go back and forth every other day. I read in a lot of places burpees are great since they tone and workout your entire body they and help you lose a lot of fat? Anyways does this sound like a good plan? Should I do more workouts then just burpees and running? And should I eat more then 1200 calories a day if I workout a lot? Any advice would be very much appreciated!! Thank you :)

Replies

• jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I started at 5-9 230ibs and ate a much higher amount. I'm 185 now and still eat significantly more then 1200. Way to low for a 5-10 male. You'll crash and burn and/or burn lean body mass over fat
  • Arapacana1
    Arapacana1 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Enter your stats into the MFP app /website and eat the number of calories it gives you. Then enter your daily exercise and eat back at least 50% of those calories. 1200 calories a day works great for short middle aged females like myself, but I suspect it would be way to little for someone with your stats. Are you male? If so, 1200 is not enough.
  • _Justinian_
    _Justinian_ Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I put your stats into a TDEE calculator on the assumption that you were male and 21 years old. Even if all you did was lay down all day and you wanted to lose weight aggressively, it recommends you eat around 1600 calories a day. 1200 would be way too low for you.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,773 Member
    Options
    For you, as a 19-year-old, 5'10" male weighing 224 pounds, 1200 is way, way not enough, even if all you did was sit in a chair and sleep. Which is probably pretty much what you'd feel like doing, if you ate that little. I ate 1200 plus exercise for a short time and it was too little, and I'm a 61-year-old, 5'5" woman. You'll burn too much lean tissue, not just fat, if you eat that low.

That advice about putting your stats into MFP, eating accordingly, and eating at least 50% of exercise is solid, solid advice. Do that. And pick a sensible weight loss rate. 2 pounds a week might be OK for the first 20 pounds or so, but drop it down to 1 pound around then. Granny sez.

At your age, you're at close to maximum potential for increasing your fitness, and that will happen better if you don't try to lose weight crazy fast. You probably care about your appearance at 19; that will be better, too, if you don't lose crazy fast - better skin, better hair, etc. Heck, you might even still grow a bit, and you don't want to short-change that.

Someone else is going to have to give you advice about training - I'm a rower & that's all I know much about. A lot of guys your age go for weight training, though, and there are some bodyweight programs that don't require equipment that you can use to start, if equipment is a problem for you, like Nerd Fitness or Convict Conditioning, if you want to go that route.

But for pity's sake, eat more than 1200!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    males should not eat below 1500 calories. to lose fat you have to be in a caloric deficit.1200 calories is the lowest end for a female, and thats for someone who is older/shorter and sedentary or a combination of the 3.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    You need to eat a lot more than 1200 calories