Came back from college for break and...

Options
i am 5'8. I was 162 at the start of college and have come back about two and a half months later. I am now apparently pushing 180 lbs. I took my measurements and a lot of it has gone to my stomach (42 inches around). i am sure my family has noticed but hasn't said anything. I have a month and am going to try to loose some. Any ideas are appreciated...

Replies

• courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Have you been drinking? Partying? Eating pizza? Staying up late? Better just adjust your diet and lifestyle back to be more similar to what it was when you lived at home.

Looks like a beer belly situation to me? Time to cut down on the drinks and opt for low calorie ones when you do indulge.

If it isn't alcohol than it's probably fast food. You know it's just as quick to grab a pre-made salad from Trader Joe's (or any other grocery store or deli) as it is to grab a burger & fries from a fast food place ;)
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Any ideas are appreciated...

Sorry to be obtuse, but what specifically do you want ideas about? Meal planning? Exercise? Motivation? Something else?
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    Forgive me for stating the obvious, but is there any way you could be pregnant?

If not, then follow the good advice given above and don't expect to lose all the excess weight in a short space of time, especially not over the holidays. :)
  • Sabre1232
    Sabre1232 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have been having a lot of Fried food and pizza at late night. Do you guys think people will notice?
  • tracykreczmer
    tracykreczmer Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Ok so u gained weight like we all did right. Veggie caferteria food eww lol but u got this.. Just log your weight..have pizza or a fried food only once a week. Go to the gym.. College has amazing gyms that are open all the time. Adding twenty of caudio and strength training along with walking to classes will keep off the weight. For now ask mom or dad to stock the house with good food.. Walk. go to a gym. If u can or start exercising with videos at home. Try for four to five days. It's OK. Now get to work.. U worked hard on your exams spend this next month being good to you!
  • tracykreczmer
    tracykreczmer Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have been having a lot of Fried food and pizza at late night. Do you guys think people will notice?

PS who cares... This is about how You feel.. U can wear asymmetrical tops..peplums and certain shirts hide the tummy if u are self conscious... Shorter top with a longer camisole underneath with spandex can hold u in.. But if u start right now with food and exercise in just a little but u can look and feel better!
  • mila_lova
    mila_lova Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Do you guys think people will notice?

Don't worry about it too much. People might notice, but trust me, it's not the end of the world. It's none of their business. I know it's hard to not care what they think, but try not to. Weight doesn't have to be a hugely emotional and shameful thing. I try to look at it as a fact- I gained weight. It's just a fact, like gravity. I am choosing to be healthier and lose weight, but it's not a moral issue. It just is.

In my experience, only my boyfriend noticed when I gained 20 lbs over the course of the year and talked to me about my unhealthy behaviors. It was initially painful, but now I'm so much healthier and I started exercising.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Well people might notice. You didn't invent the "Freshmen 15", however--this is not a altogether surprising thing.

But they also will be glad to see you and ask you how college has been. And what you're doing and stuff.

You do have some things going for you at college. One is typically a lot of access to workout facilities that cost little to nothing. If you have cafeterias, that also means you often have access to a lot of healthy food once you realize what you should not eat...salad bars, for instance.
  • Sabre1232
    Sabre1232 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Also that picture is from when I was in the 160s...
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options

What matters is what you think.
    I would say that it looks like you're carrying a lot of weight in your stomach area even at your lighter weight...
    Also that picture is from when I was in the 160s...

And that is cause for concern as far as health goes. Fat held in your mid section is the most dangerous kind of fat because it surrounds your organs. It statistically means higher chance of disease and health issues down the line. If I were you I would want to work on losing some body fat and gaining some muscle (increasing lean body mass is good for health and increases the metabolism & improves the physique). I would suggest cutting down on fried & fatty foods, eating more veggies & nutritious foods, staying within a proper calorie limit each day, and doing some exercise like weight lifting & cardio.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit is all you need.
  • ShammersPink
    ShammersPink Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Have you seen a doctor, just to check there's nothing else wrong?

It's just, that seems like an awfully high stomach measurement for a young woman of your height and weight, and a pretty rapid gain too.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Have you seen a doctor, just to check there's nothing else wrong?

It's just, that seems like an awfully high stomach measurement for a young woman of your height and weight, and a pretty rapid gain too.

That's what I was thinking. Does the OP ,know what here waist measurement was at the start of the semester. A waist size greater than 35 inches for females is a health risk.

https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/lose_wt/BMI/bmi_dis.htm
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I gained the Freshman 10...not 15. By the time I graduated, I'd lost close to 40lbs. I was a little chubby going in.

I cut out soda and cut back on dessert (which are freely available all day, everyday)...I walked EVERYWHERE. Sophomore year, I lived in the dorm furthest from the main campus. Next 2 years, I lived off campus, parked about a mile from main campus and spent most days on campus, walking everywhere, and used my car only to get home.

Its very easy to gain weight due to the availability of all foods...but once I tweaked my behavior, weight loss was pretty smooth.
  • ShammersPink
    ShammersPink Posts: 215 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    A a Brit, I'd never heard of the"Freshman 15"! It sounds fairly self-explanatory though.
  • goodasgoldilox165
    goodasgoldilox165 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Well done for spotting this and reacting in such a timely way.

If it took a few months to put on - expect it to take at least this long to disappear. From what I have seen on here, slow reduction tends to stay - fast losses just put you on the weight see-saw and can lead to a miserable time as you actually gain weight overall.

If you do as suggested above and add to your daily walking - cut additional calories - and do this in a way that doesn't leave you feeling deprived all the time, you will succeed and might even go lower than you expect.

Good luck!
  • amyr271
    amyr271 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    Forgive me for stating the obvious, but is there any way you could be pregnant?

/quote]

Has the OP addressed this yet?