I'm losing weight but doesn't look like it

Options
This sounds really bad but I haven't worked out in 2 weeks , so all my weight loss is from my eating , I don't know if you'd know this, but my main concern of where I want to look slimmer is my stomach/waist and thighs. Will those also lose the weight or do I have to workout for that to happen?

Replies

• rks581
    rks581 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Very true about spot burning, it's one of the biggest myths people have about weight loss. You lose fat from everywhere at the same time. Now, you often don't notice weight loss yourself, because it's so gradual. The easiest way to tell by yourself is to notice when your clothes start becoming looser. But, a more supportive way is simply to meet some people you haven't seen in a while. The holidays should be a good time for that. Most people will simply say "You've lost weight!" but you could ask a trusted friend or relative about the areas you're interested in.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    It's been 2 weeks.....................

Weight loss takes time so be patient. You didn't gain the weight in 2 weeks so why would you expect to lose it that quickly.
  • shaaye11
    shaaye11 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm still losing like I said. It's I'm wondering if I should also be going to the gym if I want to see the weight coming off.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    If you're losing weight, it will be noticeable if you continue for long enough. Be patient, the results will come if you stay consistent. Also, getting in good and tough workouts that challenge your muscles will make the results come faster for sure. Plus, it will promote muscle tone and an athletic body composition
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    shaaye11 wrote: »
    I'm still losing like I said. It's I'm wondering if I should also be going to the gym if I want to see the weight coming off.

Not really. You lose weight in the kitchen. You can continue to lose weight just by eating at a deficit, but the gym can help some. Think of it as 80/20.

The point about exercising is to make your weight loss more of a fat loss and less muscle loss. Without exercising, you will lose muscle as you lose weight. If you use the muscles, then your body will try to keep them and you will lose a greater % of fat.

Having said that, aside from the treadmill and walking outside, I've lost ~50 lbs with no weight lifting. I really should start something, but the gym is just so off-putting to me. I have a set of dumbbells and need to start doing something with them.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    You're not going to see much in two weeks...especially where you are talking about primary fat stores...those areas are generally first on, last off...
  • slickmickey
    slickmickey Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    i cant ever see my weight loss either - i think i had hit 20lbs before i could finally see it outside of clothes being looser and i only saw it in my face, never where i wanted to.
  • jessiefrancine
    jessiefrancine Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    As long as you are in a deficit, you will continue to lose weight even if you are not exercising.
  • Cbestinme
    Cbestinme Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    shaaye11 wrote: »

You lose fat from all over your body, which means that it is not easy to see every pound lost. I'm not sure how much cooking/baking you do, but a regular size stick of butter is 1/4 pound, meaning that four come to a pound. Imagine smearing that all over your body and think about how thin a layer it would be. Super thin, right? Not enough to be visible if it was a layer of fat under your skin. That's why you can't see the weight coming off after two weeks. It takes time to see visible results in the mirror. Usually you go without being able to see a difference for weeks, maybe months, and then *bam* one day you see them.

Loved this visual!

OP if it's of any help I have similar wishes or half similar- if I could - I'd wish to lose weight just in my stomach- oh I'd be so lucky. But apparently we can't do that. So I'm about four months into this and I still can't see weight loss and don't look slimmer to myself and to many people who see me regularly. The scale and tape measure keep telling me the weight is coming off.
  • chemtrailz
    chemtrailz Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    if you workout your body will burn more calories while you rest .
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I assume you didn't gain all your weight in 2 weeks or notice as it went on, so don't expect to lose it or notice it in that time period.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Good advice here, so I'll just add that I lost weight the first 6 months absolutely everywhere but where I wanted to, which was my belly. Arms/shoulders/chest etc.

It's a process. Do it right, keep yourself healthy and you'll hit your goals.
  • freedomofnow
    freedomofnow Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Yeah same here. Doesn't show a lot of difference for me yet either. Still at the first 8kgs lost.. But I can feel my once tight jacket getting looser, which is nice!
  • shaaye11
    shaaye11 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback! Hearing those visuals and hearing I can lose the weight and not go to the gym is great I don't like going , I prefer swimming or other activities that I plan to look into ! I've only lost 7lbs so far and I doubted I would be able to see it , just wondering if others could during their weight loss journey. I don't see it yet but I already feel better. So that's motivation right there !
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Don't forget that some fat is around your internal organs, it won't be a visible loss there at all.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Don't forget that some fat is around your internal organs, it won't be a visible loss there at all.

This is a good point. Especially because that fat--visceral fat--tends to be lost first.
  • chipjonz01
    chipjonz01 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Wow, 7 lbs in two weeks is a lot! It has taken me four months to lose 15 pounds! You should be proud of your accomplishment.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    You don't have to exercise to lose weight and as the others have said you can't "spot" burn or lose weight in certain places purposely. It will come off as long as you remain in a calorie deficit.

I'm only 5'5 so even though it's only been about 7 weeks and 12 lbs I can see the difference. I also take photos for comparison which help.