Dieting and exercise and put on weight

Options
I've been logging on mfp for some time, it just seems no matter what I do (stick to 1400 Cals, exercise 3x per week) I don't lose. I am logging correctly. Thing is, when I give up the diet and exercise I'll loose..... why oh why

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    There isn't enough information here for anyone to help you. If you open your diary, we may be able to help you figure out what is going on.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    djccmccann wrote: »
    Thing is, when I give up the diet and exercise I'll loose..... why oh why

If you can lose weight with no "diet and exercise", why would you do either. I don't know how that is possible though.
  • weatheredcheese
    weatheredcheese Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Do you do body measurements as well?
    Sometimes, exercising more and eating less can make things worse, you need to make sure you are eating enough so that your body has something to burn.
    On the other hand, you may be building up muscle, depending on your excercise and intensity.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Do you do body measurements as well?
    Sometimes, exercising more and eating less can make things worse, you need to make sure you are eating enough so that your body has something to burn.
    On the other hand, you may be building up muscle, depending on your excercise and intensity.

If OP is truly eating 1400 calories/in a deficit, it's unlikely they are gaining muscle. Certainly not enough to stall weight loss.
    Also, eating more is not the answer to "why am I not losing weight?"
    Body measurements are a good idea, though. May I ask your current height/weight, OP? If you're already in a healthy range, the weight isn't going to come off quickly. Also, are you using a food scale to weigh all solid foods, or using measuring cups?
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
  • debiq71dd30
    debiq71dd30 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    1400 is not alot of calories, the body goes into starvation mode and will continue serve fats i.e store it. When you feed the body just a few more calories the body goes out of starvation mode and you lose weight.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    What is some time, and what is correctly? How do you measure your progress?

You don't have to exercise or count calories to lose weight - although it's a helpful tool if you use it right - all you need to do is eat less than you burn.
  • Neanbean13
    Neanbean13 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Id look at what u are measuring, if you are at all. Are you choosing generic brand measurments or logging exactly what you eat? Are u weighing things like any oils etc. Its impossible to NOT lose weight. Its experimenting what works for you. As i dont have a heart monitor i dont count my exercise calories i eat to my deficit (or what i think it is at moment) i dont use the machines in gym as an accurate calculation either.
    Remembering just cause u log it on MFP doesnt mean its correct. I used to guess say 20g of this or that, then when i weighed it i was about 30g off. Over a week it builds up!
    (Plus theres the water retention issues etc that effect the scales)
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    djccmccann wrote: »
    Thing is, when I give up the diet and exercise I'll loose..... why oh why

If you can lose weight with no "diet and exercise", why would you do either. I don't know how that is possible though.

this! If you have figured out a way to not diet and not exercise and lose weight - what is the problem?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    1400 is not alot of calories, the body goes into starvation mode and will continue serve fats i.e store it. When you feed the body just a few more calories the body goes out of starvation mode and you lose weight.

No, this isn't accurate. In a calorie deficit, the body will lose weight. Otherwise, how do you think people would ever starve to death?

Aah i have not the energy to reply to those type of posts anymore :tired_face: