Is this a good weight loss and diet plan? (Updated..)

Options
matt123zav
matt123zav Posts: 7 Member
edited December 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi! I'm 5'10 and weigh 224 and my original plan was to eat 1200 calories a day. A lot of people suggested I eat more because the 1200 calorie diet is meant more toward sedentary older women. I put my stats into a calorie calculator and all of them suggest I eat around 1800 to 1900 calories a week to lose around 2lbs a week. I would do hiit sprints or a run on one day and then a burpee workout the other and go back and forth. I read that burpees tone and work your entire body so they work really well? Should I do more then just those two workouts? And does my calorie intake sound about right with the amount of exercise I plan to do? Again any advice at all would be much appreciated!! Thank you!

Replies

• GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    If you are targeting 2 lb/wk you would definitely want to at least eat back most of those exercise calories. That is a pretty aggressive goal for someone that probably isn't all that overweight. Do you know what your % body fat is?

I'm 6' 205 and I would not target 2 lb/wk for very long because of the muscle mass you will lose in the process. Also, I would be doing a couple (at least) of strength workouts/wk and making sure I eat enough protein to protect my muscle mass.
  • matt123zav
    edited December 2016
    Options
    On my last question someone advised me to not target 2lbs a week for very long also. After I lose 15 or so pounds I would aim more for 1lb
  • Nikki10129
    Nikki10129 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    As far as working out goes, do whatever you enjoy and is something you can maintain long term. If those are the things you like, do them, if you find you dread the idea of working out then change it up. Do you have specific goals you're working towards? Do you want to become more muscular? Do you want to run a marathon? Do you want to lift heavy weights? I mean to me, doing an entire workout based on burpees... No thanks! I despise them.

I'm not a good judge of other peoples caloric intakes, all I can tell you is 2lbs a week is an aggressive amount to lose long term unless you've got a whole lot to lose. If you find yourself feeling hungry you're going to want to up your intake to reflect that.
  • matt123zav
    Options
    My goal in general is to just lose weight..and maybe down the line town my body just a bit. But I know in order for that to happen I need to lose all of this extra pudge! Haha!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't even bother with 2 lb a week. I had 70 lbs to lose and never picked more than 1 lb a week... no point in being miserable and starving yourself just to get there a bit faster.
  • jaedwa1
    jaedwa1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I loathe burpees...white hot hatred...they are hard...even though I hate them, I have to admit they are a great exercise. And they are also a great measure for improvement...I used to think 5 in a row was impossible...then 10...and then one day my trainer had me do 5 rounds with 21 burpees in each set. When I finished, she just smiled and said, "Just to let you know, you just did 105 proper burpees." That felt good..well when the death feeling passed, it felt good.
  • zorander6
    zorander6 Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    1800 is if you are sedentary. You are looking at not being sedentary so you will want to up your intake on days you burn. 1200 is way to low for you and could cause other problems.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    No interest in strength training? Personally I can't imagine not doing any.
  • matt123zav
    Options
    I actually just asked what some good strength training exercises would be that I could do at home! Haha. Any suggestions???
  • Nikki10129
    Nikki10129 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Follow a body weight exercise program like convict conditioning or you are your own gym, both decent good progressive programs that use things you'd most likely already have in your house