Weight-Loss Plateau

Options
I'm 31, 5"4 and 148lbs. The lowest I have been in my adult life is 139lbs but that took 3 weeks of literal starvation. As soon as I started eating again I went up to 150 lbs.

I keep my calorie intake around 1200-1500 a day and I work out for one hour every day and more at the weekends. I have started trying to vary my workouts. I push myself as hard as I can and often get my heartrate above 190. A typical workout would be running intervals on a treadmill covering 3 miles in 35 minutes followed by weights/kettle bells for 30 minutes. I sometimes alternate for the stair climber or bike. I hike 3-6 miles every weekend in mountain areas. I wear a fitbit while working out and it estimates between 600-700 calories burned per workout.

I used to drink 5-6 cans of coca cola everyday and always told myself if I could kick that habit, I would drop the last 20lbs. Well, I finally quit 2 months ago and my weight has not changed. I don't believe I am substituting anything bad for it - I drink water or hot black tea with 1% milk.

I'm tired all the time. I've had tests done for thyroid that came back fine. I have Protien S Deficiency but have been told that would not affect my weight loss.

In the last 10 years, the only time I have ever lost weight is by doing fasts, 5 days eating and 2 days fasting. I'm worried my metabolism is shot and fasting is not a sustainable option...

I'd love some advice for breaking this plateau and healing my metabolism.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter if you substitute anything "bad" for the soda -- if you make up the calories at all, with anything, then you won't lose weight.

Do you know if your calorie intake changed when you eliminated soda? Or are you still consuming the same amount, just without the soda?
  • leooftheyear
    leooftheyear Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Honestly, with 10lbs left to lose, I'd focus on recompostion vs weight loss. Start by picking a strength training program (e.g. NROLFW, Starting Strength, etc). Set you weight loss to 0.5lbs, yes 0.5, or even 0lb and focus on recomposition.
  • Halleeon
    Halleeon Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Could you have sleep apnea? That makes you tired all the time.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    To me, it sounds like the way you have lost weight in the past is from extreme calorie deficits, coupled with long-term low-calorie eating and lots of cardio. If that is the case, then your metabolism has probably adapted to that input/output to maintain your weight. I would suggest that you shift your gears and look at the longer goal for the time being and start a reverse diet. It's basically SLOWLY adding calories into your diet over time to build your metabolism up to a point where you can effectively drop body fat again. Check out this video on the subject and let me know if you have some questions. I'd be happy to help you out.

The key is to be conservative with your calorie additions. A simple way is to add 50 calories to your diet and hold that for a week or 2. If you doing gain any weight (which you shouldn't since 50 calories is ~1/2 a banana added to your day), then bump it up again and repeat.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3gTGLulLnI
  • tdash111
    tdash111 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter if you substitute anything "bad" for the soda -- if you make up the calories at all, with anything, then you won't lose weight.

Do you know if your calorie intake changed when you eliminated soda? Or are you still consuming the same amount, just without the soda?

I am consuming less. My calorie intake with soda was 1500-1700 a day and I was slowly gaining weight. My calorie intake is now 1000-1200 without it. I am no longer gaining but I have not lost anything.
  • tdash111
    Options
    Halleeon wrote: »
    Could you have sleep apnea? That makes you tired all the time.

I have insomnia. I've been taking ambien for 15 years. I recently cut that out too in the last 4 weeks. I sleep about 6 hours a night now naturally. I used to get 8 on ambien but I don't want to take them anymore as they were impacting my short term memory.
  • tdash111
    Options
    terbusha wrote: »
    To me, it sounds like the way you have lost weight in the past is from extreme calorie deficits, coupled with long-term low-calorie eating and lots of cardio. If that is the case, then your metabolism has probably adapted to that input/output to maintain your weight. I would suggest that you shift your gears and look at the longer goal for the time being and start a reverse diet. It's basically SLOWLY adding calories into your diet over time to build your metabolism up to a point where you can effectively drop body fat again. Check out this video on the subject and let me know if you have some questions. I'd be happy to help you out.

The key is to be conservative with your calorie additions. A simple way is to add 50 calories to your diet and hold that for a week or 2. If you doing gain any weight (which you shouldn't since 50 calories is ~1/2 a banana added to your day), then bump it up again and repeat.

I'm terrified to add in calories but at this point I guess I have to try something new. I'll watch this video and see if this works.
  • MrsT1610
    MrsT1610 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Looking at your calorie intake my guess would be that you're not eating enough to sustain the amount of exercise you say you're doing. If you're only taking in 1200 cals per day and burning 600 through exercise its little wonder you're tired all the time!! You're functioning on 600 cals per day when someone your size is likely to have a Basal Metabolic Rate of about 1700!! Fasting on top of that is a ridiculous option.
    You either need to cut back on your exercise or eat more.
    You've plateau'd because you're metablism is screwed.
    You have insomnia because you're metabolism is screwed.
    Sorry if this sounds brutal!
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    tdash111 wrote: »

I'm terrified to add in calories but at this point I guess I have to try something new. I'll watch this video and see if this works.

Please seek some professional help as you have some disordered thinking. Severe calorie deficits for long periods of time are not great for your health.
  • mari5466
    mari5466 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Have you been stressed? I have recently been on a 6-7 week plateau, most of which happened during a stressful period of my life (I was studying for my graduate school exam while working). Now that its over, Ive started to notice the scale is moving again.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, you have a history of unhealthy eating patterns, so I'm not sure if typical advise is called for here.

My typical advise would be - You have very little weight to lose. Set your goal to lose one-half lb per week. Get a food scale if you don't have one, and log everything possible, every day, using the food scale. Even packaged items. Eat back half of your exercise calories. Do this for 2 months and see what happens. If you haven't been using a food scale, you are probably eating more than you think.

But considering your history, I would gently add that maybe you should talk to a professional about your relationship with food. Sometimes our brains get stuck in a rut, whether it's about food or relationships or our career etc, and therapy can really help with that. Just a suggestion.

Regardless, best of luck :drinker:
  • stmon99
    stmon99 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your calorie intake? Are you cooking your own food and weighing it? Because honestly, if you're just maintaining your weight, I'm thinking you're actually consuming around 1800 calories (or a lot more if you're really burning 600+ calories per workout).
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    tdash111 wrote: »

I find it concerning that you're "terrified" to add calories. That's not a proportionate reaction. I'm going to add another suggestion to seek help. If your thinking is in a bad place then it will make weight loss very difficult.

Do you ever binge?
  • themexicans100
    themexicans100 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You know ironically enough I'm at a plateau as well. Im eating and doing everything fine even sleep. ..any suggestions? Im trying to get my baby pouch into shape as i wana lose another 5kg and get my 6pack back now that i had my baby
  • tdash111
    Options

I find it concerning that you're "terrified" to add calories. That's not a proportionate reaction. I'm going to add another suggestion to seek help. If your thinking is in a bad place then it will make weight loss very difficult.

Do you ever binge? [/quote]

I appreciate the recommendations for seeking help. I think everyone could do with help at various stages of their lives. I think I should clarify a few things though:

1: I don't binge. Luckily this has never been a problem for me. Even on bad days where I'm comfort eating, it tends to be things like a bowl of ice cream after dinner or a chocolate bar at lunch. I've never sat down and eaten all day or 4-5 portions in a meal the way I understand binge eating to be a problem.

2. I love food. In fact, I adore cooking and make 95% of the food I eat myself from scratch. i love to cook for my family and friends and cover a wide range from full Vegan healthy meals to Game Day comfort party food. I think I have a good relationship with food!

3. I possibly have a bad relationship/perception of my body. I have Protein S Deficiency and if I am overweight or sedentary it increases my risks of fatal blood clots. Perhaps this fear has given me an unhealthy relationship with my weighing scales.

I have a history of fasting to lose weight but I acknowledge that is not a healthy or sustainable way to keep my weight under control. The point of this post was to seek ideas to help me gradually lose 10-15 lbs without having to starve myself! My body seems to be happy to maintain it's weight eating 1200-1400 calories a day and burning off 600 in exercise. The numbers don't add up which makes me think my metabolism needs a kick start. :)

• siraphine
    siraphine Posts: 185 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Please see a doctor. With this kind of thinking you're on the verge of developing an eating disorder -- IF you don't already have one. You definitely seem to be prone to unhealthy habits. They can help figure out why you might not be losing and help you.